Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kipers 1st mock draft 1st round
(01-23-2017, 03:34 AM)Shady Wrote: I'd be more than fine with Thomas, but our team has some pretty glaring needs. I don't find reason to disagree with any of my fellow board members' thoughts on who we should take at 9.

DE – MJ is not an elite pass rusher like Carlos. The right side of our Dline is pretty mediocre. Clarke hasn't looked too bad, but we need help here. It would be great to get an elite pass rusher at 9. 
Quote:This is where I started, and it is where I will likely come back to...I fear the Bengals will say "we will be fine with someone from a later round" and not take Cook.  There is a ton of DE talent in this draft.  Good, solid options.  However, with a top 10 pick in the draft, I really want a difference maker...the top DEs will be gone, and Cook could be there.  

LB - Burfict is a great LB, make no mistake, but he's as liable as anyone to get suspended or injured and miss time. After Burfict, our LBs are pretty mediocre, too. A stud like Cunningham or Foster would make sense.

Quote:I definitely think they will add LB depth...guys like Flowers just never quite contributed, making the depth paper-thin.  First round, though?  I doubt it.  With Burfict and Vigil your starting nickel LBs, I don't see them using a first rounder on a pick that is on the field just 30% of the time (base).  There are lots of options here, and I could see one in the third or fourth round.  FWIW, I think Cunningham would be the better pick as he can cover out of the backfield better...and we finally have drafted (Vigil) a faster LB instead of a plugger.

WR - Williams or Davis would make life so much easier for our offense by giving opposing defenses someone to have to seriously account for besides AJ.

Quote:I could see them taking a guy like Westbrook in the second round as a speedy, vertical guy, that can also return kicks, but I would be really surprised to see them take one in the first.  Williams won't get that much separation from NFL DBs, although the kid is clutch and has great hands.  

RB - Gio's going to be coming back from injury. Hill has had some injury issues. It might be a stretch to think we're going to take Cook, but look what Elliot did for the Cowboys. I think we have to consider him.

Quote:I think he is the single greatest potential impact at any position, with DE being a close second.  

S - Shawn Williams is NOT a free safety. Hooker looks like an amazing talent. He's young, but I think he'd make a big difference.

Quote:Agree 100% on Williams, although he did improve as the season wore on...I wonder a bit about his conditioning.  He seemed gassed early in the year, early in games.   He has a long-term contract, and we all know what that means.  I think a better option is Derron Smith playing more FS and Williams more nickel LB.  

OT - Cam Robinson might be the pick, and I know we could use the help on the Oline, but this would be the worst pick we could make here. I want to see us address the OLine in FA. Hell, bring Andre Smith back. He protected Andy better than these clowns did this year. Besides, Marvin seldom, if ever, starts rookies.

Quote:Robinson has had his fair share of off-field issues...way too much risk for a top 10 pick, IMHO.  He isn't the impact player we would want that early, either.  Sign Whit, and maybe draft Freeney in Rd 2 as a Guard.  

WILD CARD – if we don't resign DreK and/or if Pacman gets released, look for us to take Tabor or Humphries. And hope Jackson comes back healthy and ready to ball. Otherwise, our CBs will suck ass.
Quote:Tabor has issues like Robinson...no thanks.  I really like Desmond King out of Iowa.  He could be the selection if the Bengals trade back a few spots, and miss out on Cook.  I have high hopes for Jackson, as I still do for Dennard.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 06:58 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I dont get it. Consensus opinion is our OL was bad and the main reason we sucked. And everybody agrees we need help on the OL. But for some reason most people say taking the best OL in the draft is a bad idea. 

This may sound crazy. But a good way to improve the OL is to draft the best one in the class. Which is a possibility at #9. 

Paying the oldest T in the league big money is a good idea. Paying a guard big money is a good idea. But drafting the best OL available is for some reason a bad idea...

LOL I know its funny right. If you asked anyone midway into the season what we need with the first pick almost everyone would have said Oline. Now that we have all these tempting skill positions and hyped up players at other positions that we can get its no longer the #1 priority. Im to blame also for wanted a DE in the first maybe even a LB but it all depends who's there. I just hate the argument that the best Oline player is not worth a #9 pick but is worth the 16th pick??? WTF unless you have 2 picks before 16 it shouldnt matter. If the guy is the best at that position he wont be there in the 2nd so you might as well take him at 9 while you can. If he turns out to be a franchise OT for the next 10 years who gives a shit where he was taken.
Reply/Quote
King from Iowa is going to see his stock slide tremendously after the Senior Bowl. Most teams won't see him as a corner after.

I don't think he has the speed to play CB.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 03:29 AM)TKUHL Wrote: LOL I know its funny right. If you asked anyone midway into the season what we need with the first pick almost everyone would have said Oline. Now that we have all these tempting skill positions and hyped up players at other positions that we can get its no longer the #1 priority. Im to blame also for wanted a DE in the first maybe even a LB but it all depends who's there. I just hate the argument that the best Oline player is not worth a #9 pick but is worth the 16th pick??? WTF unless you have 2 picks before 16 it shouldnt matter. If the guy is the best at that position he wont be there in the 2nd so you might as well take him at 9 while you can. If he turns out to be a franchise OT for the next 10 years who gives a shit where he was taken.

Honestly, I don't see an OT that is worth a top 20 pick.  Cam Robinson isn't a great pass blocker - he can run block pretty well, but that doesn't help our major problem.   The Bengals aren't going to burn a 1st round pick on an OT when they have 2 young guys and Whitworth.

The real problem with the O-line is that we have a C that really sucks.  That can be addressed in the 2nd round if need be.  We really need a pass rusher and hopefully we take Tim Williams either at 9 or by moving back.  I have a feeling that Guenther and Marvin could carve out a Peter Boulware type role for him.  He immediately makes our secondary better with his pass rush.
Reply/Quote