Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Prospects with Character Red Flags
I am aware of two players: Cook RB & Mixon have character considers.  Frankly I would not touch the talented Mixon with the proverbial 10 foot pool.  I personally think the Bengals organization cannot handle taking players with high risk.

What other 2017 NFL draft prospects have Red Flags or character concerns?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm with you, in years past I was always hoping we'd grab some ultra talented player who fell because of character concerns. The low risk high reward types of picks, hoping they'd get their act together. Unfortunately the "low risk" side of that argument doesn't hold true in reality. These guys affect the public opinion of the organization, which in turn affects many different aspects of the team. They cause problems in the locker room and team morale. Plus when you use a roster spot on one you never know when he'll get arrested/suspended and leave you hanging. And even when they are on the field you still can't trust them to keep their cool.

I'm tired of watch, rooting for, and defending these morons. Please take the character concern players off the Bengals draft board
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 02:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am aware of two players: Cook RB & Mixon have character considers.  Frankly I would not touch the talented Mixon with the proverbial 10 foot pool.  I personally think the Bengals organization cannot handle taking players with high risk.

What other 2017 NFL draft prospects have Red Flags or character concerns?

Tim Williams and Cam Robinson.
Reply/Quote
I remember one of last year's big red flags due to injury, not character, was Jaylon Smith. Tried to look up some current info on him. Sounds like he has some recovery but unfortunately they are still waiting for that nerve to 'fire'.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 07:54 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I remember one of last year's big red flags due to injury, not character, was Jaylon Smith.  Tried to look up some current info on him.  Sounds like he has some recovery but unfortunately they are still waiting for that nerve to 'fire'.

Yeah it's regenerating but not refiring. However from all reports he will be 100 percent by camp.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 02:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I'm with you, in years past I was always hoping we'd grab some ultra talented player who fell because of character concerns. The low risk high reward types of picks, hoping they'd get their act together. Unfortunately the "low risk" side of that argument doesn't hold true in reality. These guys affect the public opinion of the organization, which in turn affects many different aspects of the team. They cause problems in the locker room and team morale. Plus when you use a roster spot on one you never know when he'll get arrested/suspended and leave you hanging. And even when they are on the field you still can't trust them to keep their cool.

I'm tired of watch, rooting for, and defending these morons. Please take the character concern players off the Bengals draft board

Another downfall is the refs are always scrutinizing more than the competition based on reputation. So tired of being in their radars every damn week. Might as well give the other team 7pt spread every week. Also, as we have (well, most of us) learned from the past, this is a tough reputation to change.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 08:43 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Yeah it's regenerating but not refiring. However from all reports he will be 100 percent by camp.

How can you tell the nerve is regenerating, but not refiring?
Reply/Quote
If we were starting a charitable foundation or some kind of non profit organization to benefit others or looking for a pastor to lead our church or something...

High character is a bonus. It shouldn't be a must for a prospect. We have started going for high character guys and our drafts have fallen off.

If it comes down to a guy who volunteers in his community but is only ok on the field and a guy who got a dui, smokes weed, and got in fights in college but dominates on the field I want the guy who dominates on the field on my team.

The bottom line is this is a professional sports team. What they do outside of football really doesn't interest me. I watch, care, and cheer because it is my hometown football team. Not because we are putting together and All Star church roster. If I want of bunch of saints and good guys to entertain me I would go to church on Sunday instead of watching football.

A guy shouldn't move up our draft board (like Hobson seems to do with his puff piece today) because he has high character. And jackassery/legal infractions need to be considered but the first thing we are looking for is football players. Because a guy was a young dumb ******* at one point doesn't mean he shouldn't be considered for our football team.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 06:30 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How can you tell the nerve is regenerating, but not refiring?

it wasn't me that said that it was reports from cowboys reporters. Said that he said he was healthy back in December but not football healthy. There are a lot of conflicting reports out there right now some say he's not improved at all others including the team have said he will be 100 percent by camp. IF and I stress IF he is 100 percent then they got the steal of the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 02:37 AM)Jpoore Wrote: it wasn't me that said that it was reports from cowboys reporters. Said that he said he was healthy back in December but not football healthy. There are a lot of conflicting reports out there right now some say he's not improved at all others including the team have said he will be 100 percent by camp. IF and I stress IF he is 100 percent then they got the steal of the draft. 

You misunderstood what they said, they worded it poorly, or they don't understand what they are trying to explain.  A peripheral nerve fires down the length of the nerve until it reaches the point where the regeneration ends.  

----------------

-------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------ = nerve firing
____= nerve regeneration

My example is the same nerve as it regenerates over time.  As the nerve regenerates (the solid line) the the nerve transmission/"firing" (dashed line) travels to where the regeneration (healing) ends.  Thus as the regeneration progresses about 1mm/day the transmission (firing) travels another 1mm down the injured nerve.  The last example is about 120mm or approximately 4 months of regeneration.  Jaylon Smith's nerve has to regenerate from his knee to his foot.  Measure you leg from the knee to your foot in millimeters and that will give you a rough idea of how many days that will take.
Reply/Quote
Walter had some pretty rough things to say about Dalvin Cook.

Quote:The combine interviews and pre-draft visits are going to be very important for Dalvin Cook. There are some minor off-the-field concerns regarding Cook; not so much with his character, but the company he keeps. Cook is said to have an entourage that has some real thugs. These friends have teams worried that it could be dangerous for Cook to continue hanging around them. Teams are concerned that Cook drinks a heavy amount and could have some challenges with his focus from having multiple kids with multiple women. They think that leaving the state of Florida would be good for Cook's long-term career and could help him to focus on becoming a professional.

However, some team sources are worried the entourage will follow Cook wherever he goes, as that was the case at Florida State. Thus, it would help Cook to go to a team with established leadership in the locker room that can help steer him in the right direction.

https://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors4.php

In a time when "Thug" is viewed as a code word for the N word the fact that Walter used it here tells me they mean real thugs eg; criminals, gang bangers, what have you.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 07:56 AM)Burma Wrote: Walter had some pretty rough things to say about Dalvin Cook.

In a time when "Thug" is viewed as a code word for the N word the fact that Walter used it here tells me they mean real thugs eg; criminals, gang bangers, what have you.

I love Cook as a player.  That said, I'm almost less scared of Mixon's one time offense than I am of a guy that has multiple kids at that age and has a posse of cling-ons that comes along in the deal.  It's almost worse that he hasn't paid a legal price yet, because it probably means he thinks he can still get away with whatever he wants.  

Mixon's offense is, of course, more egregious than Cooks reputation, but Mixon's already going to pay a hefty price and be forced to show contrition if he wants to play at all.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 07:56 AM)Burma Wrote: Walter had some pretty rough things to say about Dalvin Cook.

That is some hard, eye-opening analysis that Walter lays on him.  Perhaps I should be pumping the brakes a bit, on having Cook so high on my wish list?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I must say, I didn't remember all of the red flags from early in Cook's college career.

He was found not guilty for battery misdemeanor after a woman accused Cook of punching her in the face back in 2015.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13504706/florida-state-seminoles-rb-dalvin-cook-found-not-guilty-battery-case

Cook was also cited back in 2014 for chaining up 3 pit bull puppies.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/fsu-rb-dalvin-cook-cited-in-2014-for-chaining-3-pit-bull-puppies-together/

He was also charged with criminal mischief for property damage with a bb gun in 2014.
http://osgsports.sportsblog.com/posts/2821522/suspended-fsu-rb-cook-has-a-long-list-of-legal-issues.html
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think talented athletes i.e.; AJ Green, Whit do not have to have character flags.  I just think The Bengal Organization has to send a message to the team and fans that the tolerance for risk athletes has changed.  At least I hope they do.  They can do this by letting Jones go IMO.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 11:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is some hard, eye-opening analysis that Walter lays on him.  Perhaps I should be pumping the brakes a bit, on having Cook so high on my wish list?

Someone's done a hell of a job keeping his behavior from being a major media story.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 04:52 PM)samhain Wrote: Someone's done a hell of a job keeping his behavior from being a major media story.

He goes to Florida State.  They kept Jameis Winston's escapades under wraps for a minute, and a lot of Cook's red flags happened when everyone was looking at the sexually assaulting, crab leg swiping QB.  The campus cops are puppets of the athletic program.  Not really surprising at all.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote