Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This years final cut changes good or bad?
At first I thought it was a bad idea not being able to let a guy go sooner to give him a chance to sign on elsewhere and to some extent I still don't care for it. Not to mention as pre season goes on the more bodies in camp the less focus on some more deserving players. But on the flip side, maybe it will cut down on the amount of injuries to players who would normally have to play just to field a team as to sit out or play less in pre season games. It may even make it easier to sneak a good player on the practice squad, who knows. We will find out. Teams are going to have to do their homework on other teams players and act fast if they see a player they like.. It will be fun but bitter sweet since we always seem to cut a player I like.

Just curious what everyone's thought is about this change. I haven't seen a thread discussing this, if one already exists I apologize.
Reply/Quote
Only drawback I see, is not being able to pick a guy up that was cut by another team and have the chance to see him in camp and preseason games.

Doing that now, he's going on the 53 with no time to learn playbook or develop chemistry. That would be like Russell last year. Couldn't even use the guy until the last few games.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 05:41 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Only drawback I see, is not being able to pick a guy up that was cut by another team and have the chance to see him in camp and preseason games.

Good point. Team will have to feel pretty confident in a player they bring in with pre season basically over.
Reply/Quote
Other than playbooks being somewhat different from team to team it's still football so picking up some other team's cuts shouldn't be all that tough. It really depends on whether it's a position of need most seasons, but occasionally there are great players cut merely for financial considerations that can be nice to sign.. I'm thinking that we ought to be in the market for other teams offensive linemen ,but then so is every other team as well.. Every team is always looking for someone elses DBs.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To me basically everything about it seems bad. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it goes ?
Reply/Quote
Don't like the idea of it being later for many of the reasons posted above........with that being said Im expecting us to have one trade print to the deadline and one pick up following other teams cuts
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I liked the old way specifically because it allowed guys time to find another team. I'm glad the Bengals are continuing to do that when it makes sense.
Reply/Quote
From a team perspective, it's much better. It gives the team more chances to see the players on the field and can reduce the chance of injuries to the key players by having more players to send out there.

However, from a player's perspective, I can see why it's bad. What I will say is that there's nothing stopping a team from cutting someone early. But many of the players being cut likely won't get picked up by any team, so it really may not make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote