Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Good Thoughts On Bengals Preseason
Looking at Fantasy Football Drafts and Mock Drafts I'm amazed the huge change in player ratings over Preseason Game One and Two. I mean, the starters on all teams have hardly played. So I thought maybe I need to go very scientific on Preseason Game 3 and study it up and down, get out the slide rulers and computer print out sheets. Something made me go to Preseason Week 3 of 2016. I looked at it up and down and saw nothing that would have told me which teams or which players would stand out last season. In fact, going on Preseason Game 3 of 2016, you would think Bengals win Super Bowl and not finish 3rd place in AFC North. I then looked at 2017 preseason stats on the top rushers, passers and receivers so far. It's pretty much a list of names who have played while the starters are nice and healthy on the bench. Nobody has really put up good preseason rushing, passing or receiving numbers on any team in the NFL. OK, maybe one or two, not many, and filling in for the starters there is no guarantee these few become starters on teams. Tom Brady's back-up, begins with a G, he has put up good numbers but count on Brady getting the starts.

So the Bengals looked OK against Tampa, not very good against Chiefs. I'm not seeing any way to really gage where the players and teams are going as a fan. Plus there is Elliot suspension, Bell contract dispute, Beckhams ankle, Luck injury and on and on in the NFL...I myself have not seen Kirkpatrick in a game yet. Maybe he was in. The local announcers so rarely talk about the preseason game that it is possible. So my hope is that once the season starts and we actually have the starters on the field, they might look better than these other guys. We could use Kirkpatrick as our shut down corner and from what I see we still need Pacman because WJ3 is green and Dennard just doesn't ever seem to improve and on that, I hope I am wrong since he was a first round pick.

So I think we need to wait until regular season before saying coaches need fired and such because really no NFL team or players look all that hot in preseason if you look at the stats. I guess none of the NFL fans will know until the regular season starts. As for these bench warmers moving up in Fantasy Football ranks due to preseason playing time, that might be jumping the gun on a few. Maybe once we get Kirkpatrick and others on the field the Bengals look better. Baltimore who we start with, I don't think Flacco is seeing much preseason action. On Defense Willis and Smith show they should be on the team going all out like you want to see. The kicking has been above Nugent this preseason, which is hopefully an upgrade. That said, I intend to watch Preseason Game 3, but not 4. Preseason Game 3 and then just start the season and bring on Baltimore. That would be a nice AFC North Win Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 07:58 PM)kevin Wrote: Looking at Fantasy Football Drafts and Mock Drafts I'm amazed the huge change in player ratings over Preseason Game One and Two.  I mean, the starters on all teams have hardly played.  So I thought maybe I need to go very scientific on Preseason Game 3 and study it up and down, get out the slide rulers and computer print out sheets.  Something made me go to Preseason Week 3 of 2016.  I looked at it up and down and saw nothing that would have told me which teams or which players would stand out last season.  In fact, going on Preseason Game 3 of 2016, you would think Bengals win Super Bowl and not finish 3rd place in AFC North.  I then looked at 2017 preseason stats on the top rushers, passers and receivers so far.  It's pretty much a list of names who have played while the starters are nice and healthy on the bench.  Nobody has really put up good preseason rushing, passing or receiving numbers on any team in the NFL.  OK, maybe one or two, not many, and filling in for the starters there is no guarantee these few become starters on teams.  Tom Brady's back-up, begins with a G, he has put up good numbers but count on Brady getting the starts.

So the Bengals looked OK against Tampa, not very good against Chiefs.  I'm not seeing any way to really gage where the players and teams are going as a fan.  Plus there is Elliot suspension, Bell contract dispute, Beckhams ankle, Luck injury and on and on in the NFL...I myself have not seen Kirkpatrick in a game yet. Maybe he was in. The local announcers so rarely talk about the preseason game that it is possible.  So my hope is that once the season starts and we actually have the starters on the field, they might look better than these other guys. We could use Kirkpatrick as our shut down corner and from what I see we still need Pacman because WJ3 is green and Dennard just doesn't ever seem to improve and on that, I hope I am wrong since he was a first round pick.

So I think we need to wait until regular season before saying coaches need fired and such because really no NFL team or players look all that hot in preseason if you look at the stats.  I guess none of the NFL fans will know until the regular season starts.  As for these bench warmers moving up in Fantasy Football ranks due to preseason playing time, that might be jumping the gun on a few.   Maybe once we get Kirkpatrick and others on the field the Bengals look better.  Baltimore who we start with, I don't think Flacco is seeing much preseason action. On Defense Willis and Smith show they should be on the team going all out like you want to see. The kicking has been above Nugent this preseason, which is hopefully an upgrade. That said, I intend to watch Preseason Game 3, but not 4. Preseason Game 3 and then just start the season and bring on Baltimore.  That would be a nice AFC North Win  Tiger

I think the reason many stats are down is just due to the way cuts are being done this year. Players that usually get cut by now are getting more playing time and looks than in the past. But KC sure looked pretty good against us.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 07:58 PM)kevin Wrote: Looking at Fantasy Football Drafts and Mock Drafts I'm amazed the huge change in player ratings over Preseason Game One and Two.  I mean, the starters on all teams have hardly played.  So I thought maybe I need to go very scientific on Preseason Game 3 and study it up and down, get out the slide rulers and computer print out sheets.  Something made me go to Preseason Week 3 of 2016.  I looked at it up and down and saw nothing that would have told me which teams or which players would stand out last season.  In fact, going on Preseason Game 3 of 2016, you would think Bengals win Super Bowl and not finish 3rd place in AFC North.  I then looked at 2017 preseason stats on the top rushers, passers and receivers so far.  It's pretty much a list of names who have played while the starters are nice and healthy on the bench.  Nobody has really put up good preseason rushing, passing or receiving numbers on any team in the NFL.  OK, maybe one or two, not many, and filling in for the starters there is no guarantee these few become starters on teams.  Tom Brady's back-up, begins with a G, he has put up good numbers but count on Brady getting the starts.

So the Bengals looked OK against Tampa, not very good against Chiefs.  I'm not seeing any way to really gage where the players and teams are going as a fan.  Plus there is Elliot suspension, Bell contract dispute, Beckhams ankle, Luck injury and on and on in the NFL...I myself have not seen Kirkpatrick in a game yet. Maybe he was in. The local announcers so rarely talk about the preseason game that it is possible.  So my hope is that once the season starts and we actually have the starters on the field, they might look better than these other guys. We could use Kirkpatrick as our shut down corner and from what I see we still need Pacman because WJ3 is green and Dennard just doesn't ever seem to improve and on that, I hope I am wrong since he was a first round pick.

So I think we need to wait until regular season before saying coaches need fired and such because really no NFL team or players look all that hot in preseason if you look at the stats.  I guess none of the NFL fans will know until the regular season starts.  As for these bench warmers moving up in Fantasy Football ranks due to preseason playing time, that might be jumping the gun on a few.   Maybe once we get Kirkpatrick and others on the field the Bengals look better.  Baltimore who we start with, I don't think Flacco is seeing much preseason action. On Defense Willis and Smith show they should be on the team going all out like you want to see. The kicking has been above Nugent this preseason, which is hopefully an upgrade. That said, I intend to watch Preseason Game 3, but not 4. Preseason Game 3 and then just start the season and bring on Baltimore.  That would be a nice AFC North Win  Tiger

Great.

Thanks. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 09:53 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I think the reason many stats are down is just due to the way cuts are being done this year. Players that usually get cut by now are getting more playing time and looks than in the past. But KC sure looked pretty good against us.

I think we may see more movement after the final cuts this year due to guys getting more time on tape. Final cuts may be very interesting seeing guys flip to another team
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Some good thoughts on Bengals pre season? That it's only pre season.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 04:32 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Some good thoughts on Bengals pre season? That it's only pre season.

It's nothing more than glorified practice or situational game for me. The NFL makes money on these so they call them "games".....
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 12:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It's nothing more than glorified practice or situational game for me. The NFL makes money on these so they call them "games".....

True, I would be fine if they just did away with pre season all together and extend the season. Or at least just have 2 and add 2 season games.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 01:01 PM)TKUHL Wrote: True, I would be fine if they just did away with pre season all together and extend the season. Or at least just have 2 and add 2 season games.

I have felt like this for a loooooooong time. After all, season ticket holders pay premium prices for "glorified practices".

Somehow, I doubt any one of use would be willing to pay for a steak in a restaurant, only to be served "tube steak" (i.e. a hot dog).
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 12:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It's nothing more than glorified practice or situational game for me. The NFL makes money on these so they call them "games".....

When people defend the Bengals play in preseason by saying it's just practice...you generally want guys to practice hard and try improving...not just go 50% and look bad.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 01:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When people defend the Bengals play in preseason by saying it's just practice...you generally want guys to practice hard and try improving...not just go 50% and look bad.

Not defending anyone's play. Who exactly was going 50%?
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 01:56 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not defending anyone's play. Who exactly was going 50%?

Does it count when the whole offense can only make it 50% of the field?
Reply/Quote
Kirkpatrick did not play in game 2.

Reply/Quote