Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kurt Warner on Ryan Finley
(08-17-2019, 10:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s be careful about anointing Ryan Finley the next Tom Brady — or even the next Ken Anderson — until we see him play with the first team offense against an opposing first team defense.

I'll anoint him the next Andy Dalton at a fraction of the price.  Bold, eh?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 10:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would be thrilled if our rookie 4th round pick earns a spot as our backup QB to start the year. I would like to see how he progresses and would hope AD can stay healthy in 2019.

But, if we falter and are out of playoffs after 12 games, then give Finley some starts at end of year. Why not in that scenario?

This is the correct answer.
Reply/Quote
FWIW, consider the source. He's a SB winning QB who went from a grocery store to MVP and SB winner. And now he's an intelligent and thoughtful tv commentator.

He knows the ropes, from the bottom to the top. And he knows a thing or two about playing QB.

It's okay to trust your eyes and think this kid looks pretty damn good without disclaimers. What is in the air around here that it's not okay to just plain appreciate a guy looking good strictly on face value?

And, liking how the rook looks is no shot at Andy Dalton. It's a simple observation of fact, nothing more, nothing less. Getting in the habit of liking things can actually lead to liking other things. And trust an antique who's acted most every kind of wrong way. Liking things is the path to happiness and nobody's allergic to that.

Ryan Finley looks good so far.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 10:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll anoint him the next Andy Dalton at a fraction of the price.  Bold, eh?

Very gracious of you. How much do you usually charge to anoint someone the next Andy Dalton. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 10:36 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: This might sound crazy but he kind of reminds me of Joe Montana.I mean his looks,when Montana first came into the league,as a very young quarterback.He seems smart and savvy,his style,his personality.Now I’m not saying he’s the next Joe Montana,but that sure would be nice.

The sad part with this evaluation is that you are accurate but some people are going to read that as you are saying he's the next Montana or comparing him to Montana, which you were not. Eric Zeier had these same traits but most people aren't going to know who he is if you make that comparison so you use a player that most people will know. I'll go one a bit further back . . . Finley reminded me of watching Roger Staubach more than Montana. Staubach didn't have the prettiest spiral but he bought time and got the ball to the right guy A LOT. One of my all-time favorite QBs to watch.

Back to Montana, he lasted until the end of the 3rd round (#82) because he had a "weak arm" but it turned out he had tremendous timing and led his receivers almost perfectly. Because of watching Montana, I laugh when people that never played QB say a QB doesn't have the arm to throw deep because he under throws people. Usually, he either made the read too late or mis-timed it. It's not uncommon that this happens because a WR read the defense and broke off of a route and then the QB saw it, but, since it most likely wasn't one of his first reads, he saw it just a fraction of a second too late. A lot happens on an NFL field in a two or three second span.

Paul Daugherty had a great line in the early 90's . . . "Some QBs, David Klingler comes to mind, make playing QB look like trigonometry but Joe Montana makes it look as simple as connecting the dots".

Arm strength has jack shit to do with it. Timing.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Very gracious of you. How much do you usually charge to anoint someone the next Andy Dalton. 

Hang on, I'm busy anointing Dolegala the next Dan McGwire.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 10:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True but AJM always held onto the ball way too long for my liking.

I already like Finley better LMAO!!!

You guys know that I defend Dalton all the time too so this says a lot.

Finley shouldn't start though and anyone saying so is a bit crazy at this point.

Need to see him against 1's as you said.

Put him in. Dalton folds as soon as someone gets in his face. He is done. He make a good backup
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 12:10 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The sad part with this evaluation is that you are accurate but some people are going to read that as you are saying he's the next Montana or comparing him to Montana, which you were not. Eric Zeier had these same traits but most people aren't going to know who he is if you make that comparison so you use a player that most people will know. I'll go one a bit further back . . . Finley reminded me of watching Roger Staubach more than Montana. Staubach didn't have the prettiest spiral but he bought time and got the ball to the right guy A LOT. One of my all-time favorite QBs to watch.

Back to Montana, he lasted until the end of the 3rd round (#82) because he had a "weak arm" but it turned out he had tremendous timing and led his receivers almost perfectly. Because of watching Montana, I laugh when people that never played QB say a QB doesn't have the arm to throw deep because he under throws people. Usually, he either made the read too late or mis-timed it. It's not uncommon that this happens because a WR read the defense and broke off of a route and then the QB saw it, but, since it most likely wasn't one of his first reads, he saw it just a fraction of a second too late. A lot happens on an NFL field in a two or three second span.

Paul Daugherty had a great line in the early 90's . . . "Some QBs, David Klingler comes to mind, make playing QB look like trigonometry but Joe Montana makes it look as simple as connecting the dots".

I'll take it to another sport. Speed, speed, speed has been beat into peoples heads so much in baseball that they think if a guy doesn't have a 97 MPH fastball he's trash. Nothing could be further from the truth, ask Greg Maddux.

It's way more than just being able to throw a football 75 yards thru the air.
Reply/Quote
Love seeing a Bengal get some national attention (for good reasons). It happens so rarely. Even with our stars like AJ and Geno.

Finley has been the story of the preseason so far, no doubt about it.

Reply/Quote
https://www.bengals.com/video/why-cincinnati-bengals-quarterback-ryan-finley-has-had-the-best-rookie-qb-perfor
Reply/Quote
I like Finley better than McCarron. I think he's going to be a quality backup for us.
Reply/Quote
Chugs the Finley koolaid ...Lets say Finley splits snaps with Dalton this week and looks really good while Dalton has another bad game and struggles in the new system. A week later a thread pops up saying Dalton and Ross traded and we get picks in future to help ZT build his team up since it will take a few drafts to completely remove Marvin guys and get ZT guys in place. Not saying everyone picked under Mavin is a Marvin guy ZT might like some of them.

QB Finley back up QB Dolegala or Driskell

WR Green Boyd Malone Willis Morgan Tate Erickson

All young guys except for Green to grow together and an extra handful of picks for next years draft sounds pretty sweet to me since most fans on this site have us winning 6 games tops anyway.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 09:38 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Watch his highlights from Game 2.

I loved watching him step up in the pocket and avoid pressure.

https://youtu.be/fZGVItsyoaY

Damn, Finley threads the needle.  Those are small windows he is successfully targeting.  I feel good having him on the team and I am now happy the Bengals did not grab Haskins in round 1 (and this is coming from a huge buckeye fan).  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
The bengals have a good track record (lately) of picking 4-5 round #2 qbs... thats what finlay is at this point. Him being the best qb so far (this guys opinion not mine) says more about how thin the class was this year than how awesome he is.. that said, I am glad he is proving himself. We need him to be good. Need to see him against the ones.. (I have not been able to watch any games so far, just going of highlights)
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 12:10 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The sad part with this evaluation is that you are accurate but some people are going to read that as you are saying he's the next Montana or comparing him to Montana, which you were not. Eric Zeier had these same traits but most people aren't going to know who he is if you make that comparison so you use a player that most people will know. I'll go one a bit further back . . . Finley reminded me of watching Roger Staubach more than Montana. Staubach didn't have the prettiest spiral but he bought time and got the ball to the right guy A LOT. One of my all-time favorite QBs to watch.

Staubach is a good comparison.  At least it does not look like a wasted 4th round pick.  What is it with the Bengals and their 4th round picks?  If Finley even makes the 53 roster and is a solid backup, I think it was an excellent pick.  This also reflects well on ZT et al. at assessing talent for a QB (I know Tobin and others were involved but still).  They had a chance to take Haskins in round 1.  They passed.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 12:45 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/video/why-cincinnati-bengals-quarterback-ryan-finley-has-had-the-best-rookie-qb-perfor

This is fantastic.  thanks for sharing.   Wow
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 09:38 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Watch his highlights from Game 2.

I loved watching him step up in the pocket and avoid pressure.

https://youtu.be/fZGVItsyoaY

That dude manipulates the pocket like a vet.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 03:25 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Damn, Finley threads the needle.  Those are small windows he is successfully targeting.  I feel good having him on the team and I am now happy the Bengals did not grab Haskins in round 1 (and this is coming from a huge buckeye fan).  

He does seem to thread the needle, although the last pass to Tate was behind him and not every receiver makes that catch (Cody Core, Josh Malone). The thing that worries me about Finley, is that while he seems to have great awareness, he has nowhere near the velocity on the ball as Driskel, and it's apparent when you watch them back to back. I think Finley is better than Driskel overall, but I worry 1st team DB's will pick him off more frequently.
Reply/Quote
I think the shocker for a lot of fans is that Finley was reportedly bad in camp/practice.

This version of Finley is the QB we were all kind of excited about when he was drafted.

At the least hopefully we have a valid backup that can step in and lead the team.

Like I said in another thread I think Dalton is broken.

When Tony Romo spoke about how Andy is peeking at his linemen(specifically the OTs)that it was bad news for a QB.

Dalton was doing it post snap and it threw off his timing which kept him from making more than one read.

I think at one time AD could have done something here.

In the first Pre-Season game he looked calm and cool. Flat footed.

Second PS game he looked like bad Andy. Happy feet and skittish.

This inconsistency has plagued him for most of his career here.

The writing is on the wall for him sadly.

I like Dalton. He's a good person and a team player.

People think you have to be stern or even a jerk to be a leader.

The reality is, that if the person's talent is inconsistent that you can talk, yell, scream, or whatever but it won't matter.

You gotta walk the walk to get respect to lead in sports and the results will speak for itself.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 10:36 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: This might sound crazy but he kind of reminds me of Joe Montana.I mean his looks,when Montana first came into the league,as a very young quarterback.He seems smart and savvy,his style,his personality.Now I’m not saying he’s the next Joe Montana,but that sure would be nice.

He kinda reminds me of an accountant who is also an MMA champion.

He can do your taxes and then choke out all your enemies. Also, this guy knows how to get free ppv.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote