Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kurt Warner on Ryan Finley
Can we try him with #1s and see what happens, andy is too mediocre, we need to apply pressure on him to bring out his best - if it's good enough.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Just love how he stands in the pocket regardless of pressure. The only thing I worry about if he has the advantage du to being 24 years old already compared to the other rookies .
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 10:27 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: He kinda reminds me of an accountant who is also an MMA champion.

He can do your taxes and then choke out all your enemies. Also, this guy knows how to get free ppv.

Fun fact: Chuck Liddell has a bachelor's degree in accounting from Cal Poly!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 09:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He does seem to thread the needle, although the last pass to Tate was behind him and not every receiver makes that catch (Cody Core, Josh Malone). The thing that worries me about Finley, is that while he seems to have great awareness, he has nowhere near the velocity on the ball as Driskel, and it's apparent when you watch them back to back. I think Finley is better than Driskel overall, but I worry 1st team DB's will pick him off more frequently.

I thought about this as well but, after re-watching the first 2 games, Finley throws on timing and (seemingly) a super strong understanding of the play and reading the defense. This style may not necessarily require a cannon and more or less just a lot of practice with the WRs.

Tom Brady and Joe Montana didn't have cannon arms. Manning certainly didn't his last Superbowl run. I'm not saying a huge arm is a bad thing, I just think that with the right playbook and OC, that can win it all with regularity. Like in almost any sport: Timing + Accuracy > Power
Reply/Quote
AD played with a certain fire in 15, and i believe it's because AJM was pushing AD, and it pissed AD off a little, in a good way. Here is hoping Finley pushes ADs buttons in a good way.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hard to argue with him. Although it’s important to note he said Finley has been the best up to this point. Not that he will be a HOF, the best QB of this class, or even a starter in his career. Just said he’s been the best through two preseason games.

I’ll take it though after the ugly news we were hearing this spring. I wasn’t sure he’d even be our #2 this year and it looks like he’s already earned that job which is exciting. Hopefully it keeps clicking and we do have our future Tom Brady. I’d bet he’s more of a better AJM at the end of the day which is also very valuable and I’ll be more than happy with from a 4th round pick.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 09:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He does seem to thread the needle, although the last pass to Tate was behind him and not every receiver makes that catch (Cody Core, Josh Malone). The thing that worries me about Finley, is that while he seems to have great awareness, he has nowhere near the velocity on the ball as Driskel, and it's apparent when you watch them back to back. I think Finley is better than Driskel overall, but I worry 1st team DB's will pick him off more frequently.

I don't know. Watching those vids, he has several passes that have more than enough zip on them, in the intermediate range.

Watch it again a little closer. The first pass he has good zip on. The shorer throws he seems to take a bit off, which is pretty impressive for a rookie and on one of the longer, contested catches, he's hit as he throws and the ball flutters a bit. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
No sh1t..........I think we have a whole thread on this..........why can't anyone accept the fact we have a solid young QB waiting in the wings......Im sure Super Bowl winning QB Kurt Warner is an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about and all the keyboard GMs will tell us so........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 11:16 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I thought about this as well but, after re-watching the first 2 games, Finley throws on timing and (seemingly) a super strong understanding of the play and reading the defense. This style may not necessarily require a cannon and more or less just a lot of practice with the WRs.

Tom Brady and Joe Montana didn't have cannon arms. Manning certainly didn't his last Superbowl run. I'm not saying a huge arm is a bad thing, I just think that with the right playbook and OC, that can win it all with regularity. Like in almost any sport: Timing + Accuracy > Power

Lets ne honest there have been a ton of "Big Arm" Qbs in this league who have been bust........I'll take a QB with poise, pocket presence and lots of college experience any day over the JP Losman, Jamarcus Russel "Big Arm" types
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I could care less who wins our QB job or back up position. I want the guy who gives us best chance to win right now. IMHO, that guy is AD still other than others on our roster. I have no interest in giving a QB or a head coach a learning curb while losing.

So, if that is the approach (throw the 2nd best QB on the roster) out there to start, then I hope they go into full rebuild mode. Get rid of anyone 29 and older with a big contract. So trade AJ, Dalton, Geno and Dunlap and get rid of a ton of salaries while get future good additional draft picks for 2020 and 2021.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 12:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I could care less who wins our QB job or back up position. I want the guy who gives us best chance to win right now. IMHO, that guy is AD still other than others on our roster. I have no interest in giving a QB or a head coach a learning curb while losing.

So, if that is the approach (throw the 2nd best QB on the roster) out there to start, then I hope they go into full rebuild mode. Get rid of anyone 29 and older with a big contract. So trade AJ, Dalton, Geno and Dunlap and get rid of a ton of salaries while get future good additional draft picks for 2020 and 2021.

Yup. If the new coach has the confidence and the balls to pull the trigger on the QB, go all in.

Pete Carroll did it with Russell Wilson after spending big bucks on a FA QB.  

The question is, does he have the balls to pull the trigger like that and...could he even make that decision or convince the FO that it's the best option going forward. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 09:38 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Watch his highlights from Game 2.

I loved watching him step up in the pocket and avoid pressure.

https://youtu.be/fZGVItsyoaY

Not gonna lie, watching it live I saw glimpses of Brady.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 12:45 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/video/why-cincinnati-bengals-quarterback-ryan-finley-has-had-the-best-rookie-qb-perfor

This is an outstanding link and I want you to watch the offensive line play on the first pass to Cody Core between 0:06 and 0:12 in the video.  Watch what Billy Price does.  The defensive line tries to break through the B-gaps which means Billy doesn't have anyone to block at first.  After seeing there are no linebackers to pick up, Billy quickly looks left and right, evaluates which guard is having the most trouble blocking, and joins the left guard in blocking the right defensive tackle.  That's brilliant play right there!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 12:23 AM)chopperbobby Wrote: Put him in. Dalton folds as soon as someone gets in his face.  He is done.  He make a good backup

Cue Dalton having his best season and finally getting us a Playoff win...
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 02:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cue Dalton having his best season and finally getting us a Playoff win...

I truly believe we haven't seen Dalton's best, yet. Perhaps I'm wrong ?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 01:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is an outstanding link and I want you to watch the offensive line play on the first pass to Cody Core between 0:06 and 0:12 in the video.  Watch what Billy Price does.  The defensive line tries to break through the B-gaps which means Billy doesn't have anyone to block at first.  After seeing there are no linebackers to pick up, Billy quickly looks left and right, evaluates which guard is having the most trouble blocking, and joins the left guard in blocking the right defensive tackle.  That's brilliant play right there!

Watch the video again and keep an eye on Hopkins at LG. 

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 02:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I truly believe we haven't seen Dalton's best, yet. Perhaps I'm wrong ?

The only time Dalton had an okay O-line, all his weapons relatively happy he was in the MVP race.

And that was with Marv (defensive minded coach) at the helm. Hue was a good OC that year though.

Thinking Taylor can get the best out of Dalton and Van Pelt has helped Dalton with his weaknesses.

Dalton doesn't panic when the play breaks down like he used to.

Expecting his best year this season.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 01:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is an outstanding link and I want you to watch the offensive line play on the first pass to Cody Core between 0:06 and 0:12 in the video.  Watch what Billy Price does.  The defensive line tries to break through the B-gaps which means Billy doesn't have anyone to block at first.  After seeing there are no linebackers to pick up, Billy quickly looks left and right, evaluates which guard is having the most trouble blocking, and joins the left guard in blocking the right defensive tackle.  That's brilliant play right there!

Looking at this video, I must say, the Pass Pro has gotten significantly better, at least against backups for the skins.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

I like how he blocks all the way thru the end of every play. I'd venture to say the grumbling about Price will come to an end this season.
Reply/Quote

I agree that Dalton may have more velocity but I also think Dalton panics in the pocket with this O Line.  Additionally, the arc of Dalton's passes seem shallow compared to Finley.  Finley puts just enough arc on the ball and is great at finding lanes.  It is second nature for Finley.  Cannot teach this.   

I know this is sore memory but A. Smith had the best velocity I had ever observed on his passes, but he had no pocket awareness and the game moved to fast for him, as a result, he failed.  Finley looks calm, and follows the flow of the play well.  Again, cannot teach this stuff.  He is a natural.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote