Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kwon Alaxander - A case study on why the Bengals are still inept
(09-16-2019, 09:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And, Mosely is sitting on the bench tonight.  How's that big contract working out for the Jets?

Same as Glenn for us, rookie LT and AJ Green (again)

You can't control injuries

Alexander was a miss, yes he may get hurt, but this team does not value (pay) LB's which makes no sense when team that have 4 LB's pay more than us who play 3 or 2 in our formations
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, maybe a better example of a "case study" would be the NY Jets.  They made some big moves.  They signed La'veon Bell, CJ Mosely, even picked up Ryan Khalil to fill a hole at Center on the OL.

So, Mosely is on the bench injured, Bell is struggling to find any daylight, and as a team they are simply struggling to complete a pass or make a simple 1st down.  Hell, the Bengals are achieving similar results at a fraction of the price.

I mean the Jets spent the money, they should be winning, right?

I root for Mike Brown's wallet. I want as much money in it as possible.

In all seriousness, we could have added Mosley...but we're not 1 player away from being good. We're not 2 players away. We're about 5-7 quality starters away.

But, the distressing part is we don't seem to be better off at any position than we were last year by a significant margin. The offensive line actually looks worse as we can't run the ball at all.

Will this be the case all year? I doubt it. We've got to improve.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I root for Mike Brown's wallet. I want as much money in it as possible.

In all seriousness, we could have added Mosley...but we're not 1 player away from being good. We're not 2 players away. We're about 5-7 quality starters away.

But, the distressing part is we don't seem to be better off at any position than we were last year by a significant margin. The offensive line actually looks worse as we can't run the ball at all.

We will, but it's going to take a while..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We will, but it's going to take a while..

Man...this draft is discouraging so far.

MJ has looked bad. Pratt isn't making an impact. Sample barely plays. Jonah out for the year.

Last years draft: Price looks like a bust, Bates severely regressed. Hubbard flashes at times but is inconsistent. Jefferson has been waived already as has Walton.

This is how you lose.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We will, but it's going to take a while..

Well in a couple of hundred years they'll dig up our fossilized bodies so we can enjoy it I suppose.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, most of the LB's we sign end up underperforming here. Lawson, Minter, Hawk, Brown, Dansby, etc. Yeah a lot are washed up, but the coaching here is suspect.

A lot of the guys we used to get were still solid run defenders, they just weren't good in coverage.  

I felt we should have addressed LB in FA this year.  Alexander got stupid money, but there were reasonably priced upgrades available, even if we had to overpay a bit.  But $14 mil a year is starting OT money.  You can't pay that for an oft injured good but not great LB.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I root for Mike Brown's wallet. I want as much money in it as possible.

I'd say we're better off at receiver than last year. Green's down, but Ross has already matched his career numbers in yards after two games. If he keeps it up, we've got a hell of a number 3 on our hands. Took 3 years, but we got one.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 12:07 AM)jason Wrote: I'd say we're better off at receiver than last year. Green's down, but Ross has already matched his career numbers in yards after two games. If he keeps it up, we've got a hell of a number 3 on our hands. Took 3 years, but we got one.

This team has terrific skill players.  I'd say among the best in the league.  I have hope for Willis as well.  The TE group is solid.  The receivers are nothing short of stellar, IMO.  The RBs are more than adequate, probably great with a legit line.  I'd say that even without Green, this group could win a lot of games if the line could get into the slightly above average range.
Reply/Quote
Here's the deal - if you are going to blow $14 million on a linebacker, you might as well spend another $3 million and get the best one on the market - which would have been Mosely last year.

I don't believe in paying an above average guy elite money. I wouldn't have touched Alexander for that money.

But, it does show how poor the Bengals are when it comes to free agency and spending money on "other guys' players." The money spent on Hart and Brown along with a little extra could very easily have gotten us one elite guy.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown will overspend for marginal talent
But won't even consider game changers at LBer
In free agency
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Man...this draft is discouraging so far.

MJ has looked bad. Pratt isn't making an impact. Sample barely plays. Jonah out for the year.

Last years draft: Price looks like a bust, Bates severely regressed. Hubbard flashes at times but is inconsistent. Jefferson has been waived already as has Walton.

This is how you lose.

This is why you need to utilize the draft and free agency. The Bengals basically ignore free agency, and then hope to hit a home run in every draft. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I didn't get the signing of Brown but to be honest I don't blame the Bengals for not signing Alexander either. Especially at that price.
More disappointed we didn't draft a good LB in in 18 than anything else.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So you're disappointed that they signed Eifert to a lucrative 1 year deal as opposed to a multiyear deal?

This seems a reasonable position to take. If he has a good year he'll become too expensive and be gone; if he has a bad year we're overpaying for that year.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 12:07 AM)jason Wrote: I'd say we're better off at receiver than last year. Green's down, but Ross has already matched his career numbers in yards after two games. If he keeps it up, we've got a hell of a number 3 on our hands. Took 3 years, but we got one.

Our passing offense does look Good...even with the line like this. It's just not going to work throwing 50+ times a game.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 12:10 AM)samhain Wrote: This team has terrific skill players.  I'd say among the best in the league.  I have hope for Willis as well.  The TE group is solid.  The receivers are nothing short of stellar, IMO.  The RBs are more than adequate, probably great with a legit line.  I'd say that even without Green, this group could win a lot of games if the line could get into the slightly above average range.

On offense? Absolutely.

We're a lot like the 90's Bengals. Great skill players and a bad offensive line...maybe the worst one in the league. (And yes - when you can't run block at all, that makes you the worst in the league.)

Then our defense appears terrible at LB and DB.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 09:25 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: This seems a reasonable position to take. If he has a good year he'll become too expensive and be gone; if he has a bad year we're overpaying for that year.

We do tend to pay him a premium. He's another one who is pretty overrated. Look at the stats. A lot of it is because of injuries, but his best days are likely behind him.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And, Mosely is sitting on the bench tonight.  How's that big contract working out for the Jets?

Sunset - I love you, but thats horrible logic. If we aren't going to sign guys based on their potential to get injured - then we might as well not even play the games. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, maybe a better example of a "case study" would be the NY Jets.  They made some big moves.  They signed La'veon Bell, CJ Mosely, even picked up Ryan Khalil to fill a hole at Center on the OL.

So, Mosely is on the bench injured, Bell is struggling to find any daylight, and as a team they are simply struggling to complete a pass or make a simple 1st down.  Hell, the Bengals are achieving similar results at a fraction of the price.

I mean the Jets spent the money, they should be winning, right?

I'm not really sure its fair to asses the Jets based on their most important player being out with mono. The Jets brought in some good players via free agency, but they didnt have a great core to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I root for Mike Brown's wallet. I want as much money in it as possible.

Exactly. Thats why the previous drafts have hurt so much - they set us back YEARS. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Man...this draft is discouraging so far.

This is how you lose.

This is the most disappointing thing IMO. 

Im not even sure who is in charge of drafting and evaluating these guys - but they should probably be fired. The Bengals have drafted poorly 5 years running now. 

Yes, injuries happen and I get that - but we need more than 2-3 decent starters over a 5 year draft period. 
Reply/Quote