Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyle Pitts and Ja'Marr Chase
Nearly halfway through the season, both are beasting it.

Pitts:
Games - 6 (11 remaining)
Yards - 471 (19th in league, 3rd among TEs)
TDs - 1
PFF rating - 85.2 (4th among TEs)

Chase:
Games - 7 (10 remaining)
Yards - 754 (2nd in league)
TDs - 6 (tied for 3rd in league)
PFF rating - 83.5 (4th among WRs)

Both guys have been elite, either would have been a great choice.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't want to be smug about it, but there were a ton of reports after the draft and all the way through the pre-season that the Miami Dolphins preferred Jaylen Waddle over Chase and, even if Chase were available at 6, they would have taken Waddle. The reasons they gave were Waddle is more electric, faster and is a deep threat who can create separation at will and yards after the catch.

7 games in, Waddle does lead rookies in receptions at 44. But he only has 384 yards. That is 8.7 yards per catch. Only 2 rookie receivers have a lower yards per catch than Waddle (the other rookies with a lower ypc are running backs, which is to be expected that they'd have low ypc rates as they are often check downs).

Chase leads the NFL (not just rookies) with 21.5 yards per catch. DJ Chark technically has the lead at 22 ypc, but he only has 7 receptions on the season, as he went down with an injury against us.

Who is the better deep threat and YAC producer again, Miami?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Nearly halfway through the season, both are beasting it.

Pitts:
Games - 6 (11 remaining)
Yards - 471 (19th in league, 3rd among TEs)
TDs - 1
PFF rating - 85.2 (4th among TEs)

Chase:
Games - 7 (10 remaining)
Yards - 754 (2nd in league)
TDs - 6 (tied for 3rd in league)
PFF rating - 83.5 (4th among WRs)

Both guys have been elite, either would have been a great choice.

The only thing equal about those stats is their PFF raiting, which is tripe.  It's Chase all day long in that comparison.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:22 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't want to be smug about it, but there were a ton of reports after the draft and all the way through the pre-season that the Miami Dolphins preferred Jaylen Waddle over Chase 

Sucks to be Dolphins fan. They have Tua & Waddle, but were oh so close to getting Burrow & Chase.
Reply/Quote
I was a Pitts person throughout. I thought the word generational applied to him most. Chase's workout before the draft was noted though. It was a terrific one.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:26 PM)Stewy Wrote: The only thing equal about those stats is their PFF raiting, which is tripe.  It's Chase all day long in that comparison.

In terms of sheer receiving production, yes.

But keep in mind that 1) Pitts has played 1 less game than Chase, and 2) Pitts plays a different position than Chase.
Pitts is averaging 78.5 YPG, so if he had that extra game, he'd potentially be around 550 yards, which would put him tied for 8th in the league with Terry McLaurin, 1st among TEs.

I've been very impressed with Chase and am very happy the Bengals selected him.
The point of this thread though is to highlight how well BOTH are doing, as Pitts is doing very well in his own right.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 02:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In terms of sheer receiving production, yes.

But keep in mind that 1) Pitts has played 1 less game than Chase, and 2) Pitts plays a different position than Chase.
Pitts is averaging 78.5 YPG, so if he had that extra game, he'd potentially be around 550 yards, which would put him tied for 8th in the league with Terry McLaurin, 1st among TEs.

The point of this thread though is to highlight how well BOTH are doing, as Pitts is doing very well in his own right.

Due to injury Atlanta has started moving Kyle Pitts around the last couple of weeks and even has him playing boundary receiver. This is how he should have been used from week 1 but they used him more as a traditional TE ewely in the season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 02:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In terms of sheer receiving production, yes.

Yes I get this.  And I still stand by my post.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 02:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Due to injury Atlanta has started moving Kyle Pitts around the last couple of weeks and even has him playing boundary receiver. This is how he should have been used from week 1 but they used him more as a traditional TE ewely in the season.

Exactly.

Pitts is currently on pace for 1334 yards, which is really good WR1 numbers, elite TE numbers. Right up there with the likes of Kelce, Andrews, Waller, and Kittle.

Chase is just dominant. He's on pace to break the rookie record for yards in a season. If Hopkins and Carman can really come on in the second half of the season, I do think this team could be a contender (they still could contend without that, but it would help).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 02:05 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I was a Pitts person throughout.  I thought the word generational applied to him most.  Chase's workout before the draft was noted though.  It was a terrific one.

Same here, I wanted Pitts the most and Chase and Sewell the same. Chase has been better than I thought he would be and I 
would of taken Chase even if Pitts was there with what I know now. Chase is a frickin' gamechanger. Pitts is too but as we see
look who is scoring TD's.
Reply/Quote
Uzomah thinks Pitts’ 1 TD is cute. :P

Nah, but in all seriousness, Pitts is obviously a beast. I think we got the best player in that entire draft though.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 09:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Uzomah thinks Pitts’ 1 TD is cute. Tongue

Nah, but in all seriousness, Pitts is obviously a beast. I think we got the best player in that entire draft though.

It's interesting to see Pitts' ascendance within Arthur Smith's offense.

282 yards with 1 TD the past two games.

That's about as good as Chase's 298 yards with 1 TD in the past two games.

Both dudes are pure legit.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 02:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Due to injury Atlanta has started moving Kyle Pitts around the last couple of weeks and even has him playing boundary receiver. This is how he should have been used from week 1 but they used him more as a traditional TE ewely in the season.

Worse than that, early in the season he wasn't even getting Red Zone snaps.
Reply/Quote
I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to Pitts, but how well does he block? A great blocking TE who can catch and run well (Uzo) is better than a one dimensional TE who only catches well..  Right now in my opinion CJ is playing as good as we could have possibly hoped especially after the injury he had last year.. Chase it taking the top off defenses every game and any team not double teaming him is in for problems, but there's still Tee and Tyler when they do double him not to mention CJ.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 01:16 PM)grampahol Wrote: I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to Pitts, but how well does he block? A great blocking TE who can catch and run well (Uzo) is better than a one dimensional TE who only catches well..  Right now in my opinion CJ is playing as good as we could have possibly hoped especially after the injury he had last year.. Chase it taking the top off defenses every game and any team not double teaming him is in for problems, but there's still Tee and Tyler when they do double him not to mention CJ.

I respectfully disagree that a great blocking TE that can catch is better than an elite pass catching TE, but to each their own.
When people talk about the great TEs of the past 1-2 decades, it's been all elite pass catching TEs - Gates, Gonzalez, Gronk, Graham, Kelce, and recently Kittle and Waller.

As for your question, I haven't watched the ATL games close enough, but here are his PFF blocking grades:
Pass block - 68.5 (Uzomah's is 49.8 by comparison)
Run block - 54.8 (Uzomah's is 61.5 by comparison)

Pitts has been used to block on 88 out of 309 offensive snaps.
Comparatively, Uzomah has been used to block on 147 out of 330 offensive snaps.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 01:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I respectfully disagree that a great blocking TE that can catch is better than an elite pass catching TE, but to each their own.
When people talk about the great TEs of the past 1-2 decades, it's been all elite pass catching TEs - Gates, Gonzalez, Gronk, Graham, Kelce, and recently Kittle and Waller.

As for your question, I haven't watched the ATL games close enough, but here are his PFF blocking grades:
Pass block - 68.5 (Uzomah's is 49.8 by comparison)
Run block - 54.8 (Uzomah's is 61.5 by comparison)

Pitts has been used to block on 88 out of 309 offensive snaps.
Comparatively, Uzomah has been used to block on 147 out of 330 offensive snaps.

I'll always take a good receiver who is willing and able to block well over someone who will only catch simply because it's still a team sport where everyone has to support everyone else to win consistently.. Just remember Chase's block for Nixon. He's an elite receiver, but also elite in blocking from what I've noticed so far. When was the last time you saw some skinny, fast receiver take out a safety to spring the RB way downfield?
Anyway, I'd still take Chase over Pitts all day long, end of story.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 01:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'll always take a good receiver who is willing and able to block well over someone who will only catch simply because it's still a team sport where everyone has to support everyone else to win consistently.. Just remember Chase's block for Nixon. He's an elite receiver, but also elite in blocking from what I've noticed so far. When was the last time you saw some skinny, fast receiver take out a safety to spring the RB way downfield?
Anyway, I'd still take Chase over Pitts all day long, end of story.

This thread was not about taking Chase over Pitts or vice versa.
It was about both doing very well, so either would have been a fine selection.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I’m going to mention this just because it shows how special Pitts really was, although Chase was a good pick and it was moot anyways. Pitts hit 101 targets on the year so far, which is 3rd most of any rookie TE ever. He is 2nd all time in yardage by a rookie TE. He really was a generational prospect at the position, but again we got one of those ourselves it seems so it all worked out.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2021, 02:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’m going to mention this just because it shows how special Pitts really was, although Chase was a good pick and it was moot anyways. Pitts hit 101 targets on the year so far, which is 3rd most of any rookie TE ever. He is 2nd all time in yardage by a rookie TE. He really was a generational prospect at the position, but again we got one of those ourselves it seems so it all worked out.

The only thing that surprises me about Pitts is the lack of TD’s. I thought he’d be a much bigger weapon in the red zone. Still only has 1 on the season though.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2021, 11:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The only thing that surprises me about Pitts is the lack of TD’s. I thought he’d be a much bigger weapon in the red zone. Still only has 1 on the season though.

I wonder if it’s more of the emergence of Patterson honestly. That has been such a wild story.
Reply/Quote