Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyle Pitts is AJ Green as a tight end.
I went back and did some extra work on Kyle Pitts and came away even more impressed.

Some background on Pitts. He was actually a QB in High School until the end of his Senior year when he played some TE and DE. When he got to Florida Dan Mullen put Pitts with the Wide Receiver group his freshman year instead of thr Tight Ends which helped him refine his releases/route running. His sophomore year was really when he started getting the TE Coaching but still cross trained as a Wide Receiver.

I don't know who mentioned it but Kyle Pitts and AJ Green are very comparable athletes. Both Pitts and Green are tall and lanky with exceptional body control they are just smooth movers you dont see for guys their height. Neither of them are what you would call a "burner" speed wise but they explode off the line and out of their breaks which creates separation at the most opportune times.

Kyle Pitts is an offensive weapon and a defensive nightmare. He is so big, long, athletic and explosive he creates a mismatch against what ever a defensive coordinator trys to do to cover him. His catch radius is outstanding using those long arms to pluck balls out of the air always from defenders. He also loves to climb the ladder catching the ball at the highest point. I watched him best some of the best defensive backs in in college football like Patrick Surtain, Derek Stingly, and Grant Delpit.

People want to bring up that Kyle Pitts isn't a high end blocker but Pitts in his very short time as a Tight End has improved in this area drastically. You can tell the huge step he took from his 2019 to 2020 seasons in that area. He is never going to be Nick Boyle but he doesnt need to be and in a wide zone he will fit better with his explosiveness and athleticism.

I believe Kyle Pitts would be an excellent choice to pair up with Burrow because Burrow loves to throw the 50/50 ball and over the middle. My biggest concern with Pitts is that to use him effectively he will get a good share of Slot Receiver reps which will cut into Tyler Boyd's snaps. All in all Pitts is worth a top 10 selection.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 07:50 PM)Synric Wrote: I went back and did some extra work on Kyle Pitts and came away even more impressed.

Some background on Pitts. He was actually a QB in High School until the end of his Senior year when he played some TE and DE. When he got to Florida Dan Mullen put Pitts with the Wide Receiver group his freshman year instead of thr Tight Ends which helped him refine his releases/route running. His sophomore year was really when he started getting the TE Coaching but still cross trained as a Wide Receiver.

I don't know who mentioned it but Kyle Pitts and AJ Green are very comparable athletes. Both Pitts and Green are tall and lanky with exceptional body control they are just smooth movers you dont see for guys their height. Neither of them are what you would call a "burner" speed wise but they explode off the line and out of their breaks which creates separation at the most opportune times.

Kyle Pitts is an offensive weapon and a defensive nightmare. He is so big, long, athletic and explosive he creates a mismatch against what ever a defensive coordinator trys to do to cover him. His catch radius is outstanding using those long arms to pluck balls out of the air always from defenders. He also loves to climb the ladder catching the ball at the highest point. I watched him best some of the best defensive backs in in college football like Patrick Surtain, Derek Stingly, and Grant Delpit.

People want to bring up that Kyle Pitts isn't a high end blocker but Pitts in his very short time as a Tight End has improved in this area drastically. You can tell the huge step he took from his 2019 to 2020 seasons in that area. He is never going to be Nick Boyle but he doesnt need to be and in a wide zone he will fit better with his explosiveness and athleticism.

I believe Kyle Pitts would be an excellent choice to pair up with Burrow because Burrow loves to throw the 50/50 ball and over the middle. My biggest concern with Pitts is that to use him effectively he will get a good share of Slot Receiver reps which will cut into Tyler Boyd's snaps. All in all Pitts is worth a top 10 selection.

Kyle Pitts is still learning the nuisances of playing TE.
He is not a finish product. 
Yet he still was beating WELL COACHED CB AND SAFETIES
in a conference that sends them in bunches to the NFL.
Burrow needs that unstoppable offensive weapon to pair 
With him. 
Boyd is a clutch WR that converts alot of throws for 1st downs.
But hes not a TD machine.
Higgins is only.going.to get better. 
But Kyle Pitts really adds a dimension that.this offense lacks
Its that guy from the 20 to the red zone that will force the defense to put their cover guy on him. Thus allowing Boyd and Higgins to go.up against the 2nd and 3rd CBs
Plus don't forget the fact the Bengals can add a burner 
Via in the draft or FA.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for Pitts for 1st round selection, but I'd trade down a few spots if Sewell and him are at #5. I'd roll the dice and try to pick up another pick and still get one of them.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 07:52 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If they take Pitts it needs to be later then 5.

Sewell is the pick at 5, if they want Pitts, they can move back a few spots get an extra pick.

Well I am all for that if Pitts lasts a bit.

What other teams behind us would be wanting Pitts is the question and who would be willing to trade up with us.

(03-01-2021, 08:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He did try to run the same type of scheme that they ran with the Rams, but it did not work. Specifically, the run blocking.
They attempted the wide zone, but they didn't have the personnel or coaching to pull it off.
They switched to a gap scheme the second half of 2019 and it worked way better.
Then in 2020, they changed the scheme to an inside zone. They also ran a majority of plays out of shotgun because that's what Burrow was most comfortable with.
One of the big reasons they moved on from Jim Turner and brought Frank Pollack back is because they plan to incorporate the wide zone rushing attack again. I would expect they will look to bring in OL who can pull off that scheme.

As for the passing attack, they used the run to set up the pass in that Rams scheme.
Gurley had 1831 all-purpose yards and 21 TDs in 2018.
They also had Cooks and Woods each put up 1200+ yards and 5+ TDs.
Kupp and Reynolds combined for another 968 yards and 11 TDs.
Their TEs Everett and Higbee combined for 612 yards and 5 TDs.

I'm almost positive Taylor thought a combo of Uzomah and Sample could have been like Higbee and Everett. And I think he also thought Mixon could be like Gurley and Higgins, Boyd, and Green could be like Cooks, Woods, and Kupp.
The Bengals are missing that Cooks-type guy, but Waddle might be the guy in the draft most like Cooks.
What Taylor didn't seem to account for what how much better the Rams OL was compared to the Bengals lol.

Nice post Ocho. I also think Taylor thought we had the players to do what the Rams did but the O-line is where him and 
Turner failed. Hoping we add the proper players and Pollack gets this thing back on track.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 04:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I am all for that if Pitts lasts a bit.

What other teams behind us would be wanting Pitts is the question and who would be willing to trade up with us.

A lot of that depends on the FA and trade situations but you have Carolina at 8 in need of a QB, Denver at 9 who might be in the market for a QB and certainly San Fran at 12.

Moving back to 8 or 9 and getting an extra 2nd tossed in would be a good move and you still most likely get Pitts. If he is gone, you still have plenty of top tier talent available to choose from or.. you move down a 2nd time and get yet another 2nd round pick.

I know Pitts has talent but with all the holes this team has, I would give up drafting him if we landed a top tier O-line player in round 1 and then had 3 picks in round 2.

Those 4 are going to do more for the team then Pitts and 1 2nd rounder alone.

This team needs volume of talent, not just 1 or 2 guys.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 01:36 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: A lot of that depends on the FA and trade situations but you have Carolina at 8 in need of a QB, Denver at 9 who might be in the market for a QB and certainly San Fran at 12.

Moving back to 8 or 9 and getting an extra 2nd tossed in would be a good move and you still most likely get Pitts. If he is gone, you still have plenty of top tier talent available to choose from or.. you move down a 2nd time and get yet another 2nd round pick.

I know Pitts has talent but with all the holes this team has, I would give up drafting him if we landed a top tier O-line player in round 1 and then had 3 picks in round 2.

Those 4 are going to do more for the team then Pitts and 1 2nd rounder alone.

This team needs volume of talent, not just 1 or 2 guys.

Great post, I agree if the choice is Pitts and only one 2nd rounder or a top OL and 3 picks in the 2nd I go the latter also.

We need help on the OL and we need a pass rush on the outside at End and the inside at 3-tech.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 07:50 PM)Synric Wrote: I went back and did some extra work on Kyle Pitts and came away even more impressed.

I have heard him comp'd more like a Calvin Johnson than anything which is scary. I was listening to something the other day where they basically said call him a WR and no one bats an eye at him being a top 5 pick and in reality that's potentially the kind of production he can give you. Splitting Pitts wide opposite a trips look would be absolutely insane.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 09:27 AM)Au165 Wrote: I have heard him comp'd more like a Calvin Johnson than anything which is scary. I was listening to something the other day where they basically said call him a WR and no one bats an eye at him being a top 5 pick and in reality that's potentially the kind of production he can give you. Splitting Pitts wide opposite a trips look would be absolutely insane.

Loving this, I sure hope we take care of the O-line in FA so we can take Pitts. This has me salivating.Yes
Reply/Quote
Yesterday from Daniel Jeremiah...

CoolCoolCool
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yesterday from Daniel Jeremiah...

CoolCoolCool

Lets get that O-line taken care of in FA so we can take a future HOF'er...
Reply/Quote
Is there a LB or CB in this division that can cover
Kyle Pitts?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 04:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lets get that O-line taken care of in FA so we can take a future HOF'er...

I’m good with taking Pitts if Chase and Sewell are gone. If Sewell is there tho I don’t think you can pass on him. There’s no young free agent tackles in there prime like a Jack Conklin last year that are long term solutions at RT that would make me pass on Sewell.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 09:57 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I’m good with taking Pitts if Chase and Sewell are gone. If Sewell is there tho I don’t think you can pass on him. There’s no young free agent tackles in there prime like a Jack Conklin last year that are long term solutions at RT that would make me pass on Sewell.

I agree, even if we went all out in FA and got Daryl Williams or Reiff I still take Sewell if he is there.

Just saying if Sewell is gone I am all for Pitts or Chase in this order. Having that game changing Red Zone threat at TE is huge 
and I am noticing every year how the best teams in the league have them. We need one desperately and Pitts is this type.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 02:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, even if we went all out in FA and got Daryl Williams or Reiff I still take Sewell if he is there.

Just saying if Sewell is gone I am all for Pitts or Chase in this order. Having that game changing Red Zone threat at TE is huge 
and I am noticing every year how the best teams in the league have them. We need one desperately and Pitts is this type.

Agree 100% I’d prefer to build inside out but I’d take Pitts or Chase no problem if Sewell is gone. I know it’s a deep tackle class so we might be able to get one later but there’s always a huge run on tackles. Plus with all our needs we might have a higher ranked pass rusher or CB available in round 2 they can’t pass on.
Reply/Quote
Depending on what the Bengals do with the o-line in free agency, this becomes more and more of an intriguing prospect.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 12:59 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Depending on what the Bengals do with the o-line in free agency, this becomes more and more of an intriguing prospect.

Bring in Reiff to keep the possibility open. Other wise we have to hope Sewell is there or trade down IMO.
Reply/Quote