Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
L5 pinched nerve
I've been having burning feet the past 3-4 months, especially when I lay down, so I saw a neurologist who referred me to get an EMG. If you've never gotten an EMG, be glad.

Anyway, the EMG neurologist said she sees an old pinched nerve in the L5 and she thinks that's causing my burning feet. Because it's "structural", she said it won't get better and I can only do things to make sure it doesn't get worse (I have to see a Physical Therapist).

The first neurologist hasn't seen the results yet but he thought it wouldn't have been a pinched nerve because I'm having nerve/burning problems in both feet.

Has anyone had a similar problem to this? I think pinched nerves can heal on their own, but this one seems different (structural) and looks like I can't get surgery or anything to fix.

I've been jogging every few days to try and lose weight, thinking it might help my back or something. I've lost about 20 lbs in 2-3 months, but seems to not have made it any better or worse. I feel better overall, but that's about it lol.

From what I read a pinched nerve shouldn't be affecting both feet the same like this, and she said it's an old pinched nerve - but this problem has been happening for a few months.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It likely didn't take that EMG test for the Dr. to determine that you had a pinched nerve. The real question is; What is pinching it? That likely can only be determined through an MRI. For example, I live with two herniated discs, the ones between L4 and L5 and L5 and L6. Whenever one or both of them flare up, I'm in a bad situation, as the herniations press onto various nerves and cause serious discomfort and physical problems.

I've chosen to live with my condition for 17 years now, because I refuse to go through risky spinal surgery that has a 50/50 chance (at best) of improving general quality of life.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The podiatrist thought it was a lumbar pinched nerve, also, but since it didn't get any better in 3 months (and perhaps a tad worse) - I saw a neurologist.

Based on the EMG results, she said it's an L5 ("structural") pinched nerve. I don't know if she can determine that without an MRI but based on the locations of the burning and nerve meausurements, I think (from a diagram i saw online lol), only the L5 affects those parts.

I will ask for an MRI, if they let me.

She said I could look into PT, to not let it worsen. I asked here what's the worst that can happen here, she said I'll lose motor function and have foot drop (dragging feet). That's sad. I'm a programmer so I could live with that, but I'd probably have to get into a wheelchair considering I'm having it in both feet!

It's amazing (in a bad way) the affect chronic pain can have on someone's psyche. I had a pulled chest muscle 7 years ago that took about 4-6 months to heal, but I'd always wake up every day wondering if the pain as gone. For that, I feel for you.

Side note: My dog has IVDD (7 year old beagle), degenerative discs. One of the discs in her neck area broke off and pinched her nerve, which resulted in a reaction for 30 minutes I don't want to ever hear or see again in anybody or anything. She had surgery the next day and she has recovered pretty well, same playful girl now but no more stairs/steps, jumping, standing on legs, furniture, shaking her head when playing with toys, etc.

She seems to live her life OK, it's been expensive ramping everything for her.

Chronic pain can be debilitating/depressing and also can be viewed in another way maybe, that we should live the best life we can and not hold back because we don't know what the future holds. I think I'm watching too many Terminator rerun movies lately.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Luckily I have never had to deal with a lot of back problems, but the one time I did was back when I was younger and ran on a regular basis. My back had been sore for few days and I thought that maybe a run would "loosen it up". I went for a run and an hour after I came back I could not stand up. So I would not run until you get this straightened out with a doctor. It could be making things worse.

BTW in some cases physical therapy can be just as effective, if not more so, than surgery. You just have to have the discipline to do it regularly and not just when your back starts hurting.
Reply/Quote
Unless you're willing to go out of pocket, most insurance providers make you jump through a lengthy series of hoops, before they're willing to pay for an MRI. (I went through this prior to my shoulder rebuild, two years ago. Thankfully, when I was first diagnosed with the back issues, Obamacare wasn't even a thought) But, the MRI will show exactly what is pinching on that nerve, and may lead to a solution.

Physical therapy is great, if you're really willing to take it seriously and work it. You almost have to make it a part of your daily routine, in order to truly reap the benefits. Building up deficiencies in the muscular structure can cure, or at least mask a lot of ills that keep people down. However, keep this in mind. The body is a complete machine, you need to keep the entire structure strong, in order to keep the pressure off of the soft tissues. I chose the rehab route from my injury, and it has paid off. Obviously, basketball went out the window, as the shock from landing from jumps is terrible for me. However, lower impact work like hiking hilly terrain, swimming, or weight training with loaded carries has kept me going for the most part. Since the initial diagnosis, I've achieved as high as 90% of my pre-injury weight lifting numbers (until middle age caught up with me).

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the interesting notes. I picked up jogging again after this started happening, thinking it owuld help. I've gotten addicted to it and probably do 3 miles every couple days.

I also have flat feet though, and perhaps my shoes are not meant for me and aren't helping.

I also sleep on a full sized yogibo beanbag chair the last couple years (don't ask!) I guess it's the habit of watching netflix before going to bed. I wonder if that's done nothing good for my back.

I could still go do walks, but I feel young enough to want to move faster (lol). I read biking and swimming can really help in these types of things, but I can't swim, so that's gone lol.

I lifted once or twice when this first started and thought maybe it was related, so I completely stopped any lifting activities.

I would make the regiment or lifestyle change necessary if they tell me what to do. I started doing spinach smoothies every day and changed my diet completely to almost vegan + protein and I've lost a lot of weight and in general feel better, other than this.

The diet change/weight loss/exercise doesn't seem to have made my problems any worse, or better though. For my overall health I think I will continue the spinach and healthy eating as I doubt that is affecting it (although I've got the outstanding lab work for the vitamin deficiencies and protein buildup/etc) - although neuro says it's the old pinched nerve.

I yelled for an MRI 7 years ago and the doctor ordered it, in this case I wonder if I can just say "please prove it" and use my anxiety against them, lol. It can only help me/them know for sure what a best course of action is. I would not pay for the MRI, though, lol...

I love shooting hoops, but I'd have to change it to a flat shot with no jump. I don't play bball anymore but I still love to shoot, I usually take a 15 minute break during the work day to shoot - to help me solve problems lol.

I was diagnosed with Levioscoliosis a long time ago, so that probably isn't helping. Since this has began, I've switched to using standing desks (autonomous AI desk) and I feel like my back/core has strengthened from standing more often than sitting, but still no real healing for the feet.
Reply/Quote
Inversion therapy can help take the pressure off the vertebrae. And I go to a message therapist who does therapeutic message, not relaxation massage. She will work on muscles to re-align. Its amazing how that can help things.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 09:44 PM)Beaker Wrote: Inversion therapy can help take the pressure off the vertebrae. And I go to a message therapist who does therapeutic message, not relaxation massage. She will work on muscles to re-align. Its amazing how that can help things.

Inversion tables are the shiznit! Very inexpensive way to help with a lot of things surgeons say need surgery. Let’s the body naturally heal itself. Doesn’t work for all issues but is pretty awesome nevertheless.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 08:31 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Thanks for the interesting notes. I picked up jogging again after this started happening, thinking it owuld help. I've gotten addicted to it and probably do 3 miles every couple days.

I also have flat feet though, and perhaps my shoes are not meant for me and aren't helping.

I also sleep on a full sized yogibo beanbag chair the last couple years (don't ask!) I guess it's the habit of watching netflix before going to bed. I wonder if that's done nothing good for my back.

I could still go do walks, but I feel young enough to want to move faster (lol). I read biking and swimming can really help in these types of things, but I can't swim, so that's gone lol.

I lifted once or twice when this first started and thought maybe it was related, so I completely stopped any lifting activities.

I would make the regiment or lifestyle change necessary if they tell me what to do. I started doing spinach smoothies every day and changed my diet completely to almost vegan + protein and I've lost a lot of weight and in general feel better, other than this.

The diet change/weight loss/exercise doesn't seem to have made my problems any worse, or better though. For my overall health I think I will continue the spinach and healthy eating as I doubt that is affecting it (although I've got the outstanding lab work for the vitamin deficiencies and protein buildup/etc) - although neuro says it's the old pinched nerve.

I yelled for an MRI 7 years ago and the doctor ordered it, in this case I wonder if I can just say "please prove it" and use my anxiety against them, lol. It can only help me/them know for sure what a best course of action is. I would not pay for the MRI, though, lol...

I love shooting hoops, but I'd have to change it to a flat shot with no jump. I don't play bball anymore but I still love to shoot, I usually take a 15 minute break during the work day to shoot - to help me solve problems lol.

I was diagnosed with Levioscoliosis a long time ago, so that probably isn't helping. Since this has began, I've switched to using standing desks (autonomous AI desk) and I feel like my back/core has strengthened from standing more often than sitting, but still no real healing for the feet.

If you really miss running, I would suggest finding some trails or even greenway routes that go through some good changes in grade.  Hiking those at a fast pace will do the same or better than jogging. (as far as elevating the heart rate)  Lifting isn't for everyone, and I completely understand that.  However, there are plenty of body weight activities like pullups and dips that will strengthen your body, as well as put a natural stretch to the spine.  After a while, they get too easy and you might want to attach weight to a belt.  I weigh around #260, and like to do my pullups and dips with a #45 plate hanging from my hips.  Sometimes I just load up 2 or 3 of those plates, and just hang.  The stretch to the spine is great.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote