Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB Joe Schobert
The Browns are letting Joe Schobert hit the streets. Price tag is estimated to be $10 million

Productivity Level Last Season: He started all 16 games in 2019, registering 133 combined tackles, 2 sacks, 4 interceptions, 9 passes defended, and 2 forced fumbles. His 133 tackles were good for 10th most in the NFL.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Mixon doing some recruiting. Smirk

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mixon doing some recruiting. Smirk

Apparently Joe Schobert is also friends with Alex Erickson too.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Schobert would be a good fit with the Bengals and really open up the draft for us. However I doubt the Bengals are willing to pay him that much.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Apparently Joe Schobert is also friends with Alex Erickson too.

Schobert and Erickson were college teammates

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 08:37 PM)pally Wrote: The Browns are letting Joe Schobert hit the streets.  Price tag is estimated to be  $10 million

Productivity Level Last Season: He started all 16 games in 2019, registering 133 combined tackles, 2 sacks, 4 interceptions, 9 passes defended, and 2 forced fumbles. His 133 tackles were good for 10th most in the NFL.

(03-01-2020, 03:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mixon doing some recruiting. Smirk

(03-01-2020, 03:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Apparently Joe Schobert is also friends with Alex Erickson too.

Awesome, good work Mixon. Bring in Schobert!
Reply/Quote
I'm tempering my expectations on the Bengals chances with Schobert. Take this with a grain of salt. There's a Browns Thread on the OSU board I frequent that has some pretty connected Browns fans. A rumor out there is that Schobert's asking price was a lot higher than the $10M per that's being reported. It was more like $60M over 4 or 5 years w/$30M guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 06:25 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I'm tempering my expectations on the Bengals chances with Schobert. Take this with a grain of salt. There's a Browns Thread on the OSU board I frequent that has some pretty connected Browns fans. A rumor out there is that Schobert's asking price was a lot higher than the $10M per that's being reported. It was more like $60M over 4 or 5 years w/$30M guaranteed.

Seems appropriate, when you consider what top free agent LBs got last year, compared to what many on here were expecting them to go for.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 06:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems appropriate, when you consider what top free agent LBs got last year, compared to what many on here were expecting them to go for.

I agree that that's in line with the top guys last year. Rightfully or wrongfully, I took him to be good but a notch below those guys but I have nothing to back that up. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 06:25 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I'm tempering my expectations on the Bengals chances with Schobert. Take this with a grain of salt. There's a Browns Thread on the OSU board I frequent that has some pretty connected Browns fans. A rumor out there is that Schobert's asking price was a lot higher than the $10M per that's being reported. It was more like $60M over 4 or 5 years w/$30M guaranteed.

If thats true, there is no chance he will be on our team this season
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 06:45 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I agree that that's in line with the top guys last year. Rightfully or wrongfully, I took him to be good but a notch below those guys but I have nothing to back that up. 

He's got great stats, the numbers, along with him being only 26 would seem to support his desire to be well paid.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SchoJo00.htm

Quote:

Was going to paste his career stat chart graph in quote, but paste wouldn't format properly, so I guess you'll just have to look on the link..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I thought 10 mil per year as a bit of a low estimate for what he'll get. If they can get him for that, they need to jump on it quick. I'd guess closer to 12.
Reply/Quote
Would love this kind of signing. Trade Andy and use the cap space to sign Joe. After 3 or 4 years we have to pay Burrow the big bucks; at that point you let Joe walk after having drafted his replacement.

Im sure they’ll be looking at other linebackers too, but we have the potential to pull off one big splash signing in free agency this year to pair with resigning AJ and Mixon and some of our mid tier free agents.

Grab Joe S and draft a good DB or outside backer in round 2. Thats a pretty good offseason defensively. Pick up another guard and defensive lineman in 3 and 4 and im pretty happy. Oh, and then there’s the Dalton pick too. We can do some work this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:54 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Would love this kind of signing. Trade Andy and use the cap space to sign Joe. After 3 or 4 years we have to pay Burrow the big bucks; at that point you let Joe walk after having drafted his replacement.

Im sure they’ll be looking at other linebackers too, but we have the potential to pull off one big splash signing in free agency this year to pair with resigning AJ and Mixon and some of our mid tier free agents.

Grab Joe S and draft a good DB or outside backer in round 2. Thats a pretty good offseason defensively. Pick up another guard and defensive lineman in 3 and 4 and im pretty happy. Oh, and then there’s the Dalton pick too. We can do some work this year.

Yes, now would be the time to make a signing like this before we have to pay Burrow the big dough.
Reply/Quote
The more I watch the draft coverage the less likely it seems Queen or Murray will be available at pick 33. I think there’s a big drop off after those 2. I also think there’s a big drop off in free agent linebackers after Littleton and Schobert. I think getting Schobert would be a huge move because I don’t think Pratt paired with a rookie backer besides Queen or Murray would be enough to significantly upgrade at linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 07:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's got great stats, the numbers, along with him being only 26 would seem to support his desire to be well paid.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SchoJo00.htm

Was going to paste his career stat chart graph in quote, but paste wouldn't format properly, so I guess you'll just have to look on the link..

His advanced stats are good to. Wish he'd cut his missed tackle % down some, but really his number are Elite. he'lll command a pretty penny, probably a good starting point is around 11-12 million per

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/defense_advanced.htm
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 06:57 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: If thats true, there is no chance he will be on our team this season

Right, I see very, very little chance we pay that kind of dough to him. He'd be the highest paid player on the team (once AD is off the books of course).
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 08:37 PM)pally Wrote: The Browns are letting Joe Schobert hit the streets.  Price tag is estimated to be  $10 million

Shut down the short passing game

Here is a list of league leaders in passer rating allowed among LBs with at least 40 targets.

Leonard (IND)…..62.8
Gerry (PHI)……….70.2
Vigil (CIN)………...72.9
David (TAM)……...73.0
Schobert (CLE)….74.6
Keuchley (CAR)...75.3
Davis (NO)………..75.8
Smith (CHI)……...75.9
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Shut down the short passing game

Here is a list of league leaders in passer rating allowed among LBs with at least 40 targets.

Leonard (IND)…..62.8
Gerry (PHI)……….70.2
Vigil (CIN)………...72.9
David (TAM)……...73.0
Schobert (CLE)….74.6
Keuchley (CAR)...75.3
Davis (NO)………..75.8
Smith (CHI)……...75.9

I cant imagine having 2 linebackers that can cover..
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 08:29 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, I thought 10 mil per year as a bit of a low estimate for what he'll get.  If they can get him for that, they need to jump on it quick.  I'd guess closer to 12.

I think they should jump on it at 12 as well. He's a pro bowl LB still pretty young and we have the worst LB core in the NFL. Pratt has potential to develop into something good, and Vigil shows flashes, but he also whiffs plenty of tackles. A legit veteran LB is exactly what this team needs. And I would still draft another one because we need upgrades for starters and backups. Our backup LBs should be in the XFL.
Reply/Quote