Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB Jordyn Brooks Texas Tech.
Have any of you seen this guy play ? He’s Vonteze Burfict with more speed. He ran a 4.55 forty or something like that. Hes the most physical linebacker I’ve seen play in years. Always going downhill the opposite of What we have. Great tackler as well. I think the only reason he’s not being talked about in round one is his labrum surgery in November. Anyways his tape is unreal really explosive player who I would consider in round 2 if a top tackle or WR are not there.
Reply/Quote
I rank him 2nd behind Murray at ILB. Top of the second might be too early though. Would be happy if we got him a bit later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 11:24 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Have any of you seen this guy play ?  He’s Vonteze Burfict with more speed.  He ran a 4.55 forty or something like that.    Hes the most physical linebacker I’ve seen play in years.   Always going downhill the opposite of What we have.   Great tackler as well.  I think the only reason he’s not being talked about in round one is his labrum surgery in November.   Anyways his tape is unreal really explosive player who I would consider in round 2 if a top tackle or WR are not there.

People are more down on him because they felt he should have been more productive than he was given his talent.
He also isn't one of the top cover guys at LB despite having speed (4.54).

I'd be fine with Bengals taking him but no earlier than 3rd round.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 11:24 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Have any of you seen this guy play ?  He’s Vonteze Burfict with more speed.  He ran a 4.55 forty or something like that.    Hes the most physical linebacker I’ve seen play in years.   Always going downhill the opposite of What we have.   Great tackler as well.  I think the only reason he’s not being talked about in round one is his labrum surgery in November.   Anyways his tape is unreal really explosive player who I would consider in round 2 if a top tackle or WR are not there.

I don't think he fits our changing scheme as much in 2nd round at that high of pick.. i think they will look more for a cover LB and more flexibility..
Reply/Quote
He takes terrible angles in the run game and doesn’t really do anything on the field.
Reply/Quote
This is what confuses the hell out of a non-draft-ophite like me.

Five guys will say a player is awesome and five will say he sukks, which is why I've never even attempted a mock. I have no idea who to listen to.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:11 PM)McC Wrote: This is what confuses the hell out of a non-draft-ophite like me.

Five guys will say a player is awesome and five will say he sukks, which is why I've never even attempted a mock.  I have no idea who to listen to.

The reality is that both can be right, but nobody will know until they actually play in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:11 PM)McC Wrote: This is what confuses the hell out of a non-draft-ophite like me.

Five guys will say a player is awesome and five will say he sukks, which is why I've never even attempted a mock.  I have no idea who to listen to.

You will find even scouts that disagree on players all the time. It's what is so fascinating about the draft. One guy likes a player, another doesn't, some players get drafted early and don't pan out while some mid to late round draft picks excel in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
He's beginning to get day 2 buzz.

I don't like that.

We need a coverage linebacker, not a run stopping linebacker that can't cover a TE.

I'd take him if he's still there on day 3 though.
Reply/Quote
Stay away from LBs without instincts. Don't care if they're good athletes.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 08:36 PM)Mobster Wrote: Stay away from LBs without instincts. Don't care if they're good athletes.

That sounds like Malik Jefferson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 09:43 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: That sounds like Malik Jefferson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:49 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: He takes terrible angles in the run game and doesn’t really do anything on the field.

He had over 100 tackles and 20 TFLs for loss last year, despite missing some games to injury....so this is complete BS.  
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 11:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He had over 100 tackles and 20 TFLs for loss last year, despite missing some games to injury....so this is complete BS.  

A couple of knocks on Brooks that stick out to me are that he was "gassed" in the 2nd quarter of a big game, and that he seems to only be useful in defending the run.  Good enough athlete, but strictly an inside, stack LB.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jordan-brooks?id=32194252-4f13-1962-2c2e-fdb174b58eaf

Quote:Strengths
  • Well built with NFL size in good definition
  • Consistent solo tackle totals all four years as starter
  • Quick to diagnose and key the run
  • Sees and sifts through moving bodies in front of him
  • Aggressive downhill attacks in 2019 yielded TFL fruit
  • Skilled at sliding under climbing blocks
  • Impressive instincts to shadow runner and anticipate lane choice
  • Has twitch for swift lateral slide and directional change
  • Runs with speed to chase and capture to perimeter
Weaknesses
  • Failed to rise to the occasion against Oklahoma
  • Gassed in late second quarter by Sooners' pace
  • Loses his run fit at times when working around blocks
  • Needs to attack blocks aggressively to constrict run lanes
  • Finds himself blocked at times despite good reads
  • Needs to school up hands as pre-emptive weapons
  • Gets lost in space in zone drops
  • Lacks fluidity when asked to cover

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Here is my take:  He played for one of the worst defenses in the Big 12, and considering how poor defenses are in the Big 12, that is saying something.  Brooks led his team in tackles as a TRUE FRESHMAN.  He has very solid tackling abilities and excellent sideline-to-sideline range.  His knock about coverage is a bit of a mystery to me.  He was asked to do a ton at Texas Tech.  Say what you will about the defenses in the Big 12, the offenses are for real.  Tons of empty sets and 5 receiver options.  He had NO protection in front of him (pathetic defensive line).  

His biggest issues as a pro as I see it will be covering crossing routes that come in to his area in zone coverage.  He seems to get a bit preoccupied with preventing a QB from scrambling.  That being said, I don't know if that is what he was ASKED to do.  If I were a pro scout, I would be asking his coach about his assignments.  

Something I put a lot of stock in, especially defensively, is the Senior Bowl, and he really looked like one of the best prospects at the Senior Bowl.

If the Bengals slide in Rd 3 and get him in the middle 3rd with an additional 4th, I will jump for joy.  The only reason I don't want him at the top of the 3rd is I am hoping Dugger or Chinn are there and we snag our SS for the next decade.  I like Dugger a bit more because of his punt return ability and his attitude.   
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 11:28 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A couple of knocks on Brooks that stick out to me are that he was "gassed" in the 2nd quarter of a big game, and that he seems to only be useful in defending the run.  Good enough athlete, but strictly an inside, stack LB.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jordan-brooks?id=32194252-4f13-1962-2c2e-fdb174b58eaf

The "gassed" comment made me want to go watch that game cut, but honestly, I believe a bit of it could be that he was on the field a ton and he was covering all over for an awful defense.  

One thing I really like about him is that he had groin surgery and only had 10 days to prepare for the combine.  And this was what he did there:  

That pure ability and the energy he displayed at the Senior Bowl...I suggest watching that game over and over....You really start to notice a small handful of guys that are always making plays.  
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:49 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: He takes terrible angles in the run game and doesn’t really do anything on the field.

That might be a stretch.
He's had nearly 400 tackles in his college career and had 20 TFLs just last season.
If you're talking the passing game though, you'd be right.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Very good 2 down Linebacker, would like him in the 4th if he is there. He is just not good in coverage.

He makes sense though as the coaches clearly want to get better at tackling with this FA.
Reply/Quote
With our recent additions it seems they are really concentrating on our run defense. This guy would be the cherry on top. No one would run on the Bengals. As far as pass defense goes even though he’s fast n agile I never really saw him make any plays in zone coverage. So maybe we won’t be looking at him at #33. I don’t think he’s there in round 3.
Reply/Quote
He's a solid LB. Just needs to improve coverage skills. Doing that, he's a 4-down LB.
Reply/Quote