Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB and interior OL
(03-26-2018, 01:05 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Dude I am telling u, I have been dreaming about interior oline of price, hernandez, boling. Mixon running for 1500.

That should do it.

(03-26-2018, 02:23 AM)wcu Wrote: The versatility you could get by having Mixon and Bernard on the field at the same time is mind boggling. They could cause confusion and match up nightmares across the entire formation. Hopefully Lazor has the balls to try it.

He had the balls to castrate Piano Man. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 01:05 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Dude I am telling u, I have been dreaming about interior oline of price, hernandez, boling. Mixon running for 1500.

Bengals will not take two interior OL first two rounds unless they make a trade to get an additional pick in the second round. I believe they address center and defense (lb,cb, DL) first two picks. In no particular order. But I just don’t see them putting that much draft capital in two areas they really don’t seem to value that high
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 01:46 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Count me among the people that don't think LB is this huge need.

We signed Preston Brown.  We use 2 linebackers a majority of the time.  The team likes Vigil, Evans and Rey.  I know people on the board see it as a need, but I don't think the team is even remotely considering one.

I agree.  As Owczarski said, it is unlikely they'll look at a linebacker till day 3

And it's not like there isn't a lot of ways they have to go that will make me happy, but I would love to get a linebacker squad that would give us back at least some of the middle of the field and make running backs looking everywhere for where the next hammer is coming from.  I think we're 2/3 of the way there.   I think Evans is an underrated linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 11:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Upon thinking about it more, Derwin James has started reminding me of a prospect from last year....Jabrill Peppers.
Peppers, like James, had very good speed and showed well at the Combine overall with his athletic ability.
Also like James, Peppers was considered a very versatile weapon, having the ability to play a few different defensive positions.
Unfortunately, also like James, Peppers wasn't quite the most productive in college, especially when it came to turnovers.

I see James potentially following the same path as Peppers. A lot of hype, but you have worry that all that athleticism might not actually end up turning into an elite playmaking FS on defense but rather "just" a good SS (or nickel LB?) that can do a bit of everything.

And yes, I realize that it's only been a year for Peppers so he has plenty of time still to become elite, but he didn't seem like an elite playmaker this past year right out of the gate like some people thought/hoped he would.

It's a legitimate concern Ocho, but I think James is a different player.

We won't need to worry about it though.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 06:04 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Bengals will not take two interior OL first two rounds unless they make a trade to get an additional pick in the second round. I believe they address center and defense (lb,cb, DL) first two picks. In no particular order. But I just don’t see them putting that much draft capital in two areas they really don’t seem to value that high

Ok, I agree with you to a certain extent, but I also look at this a little different.

I think Mike Brown is ok (and probably would encourage) spending the draft capital on this because there is no way in hell he's paying a top tier OG $13 million per year or a top tier C $8 million per year.  This way, can get top tier prospects and pay them a fraction of what an experienced guy will get.

I actually think they draft 2 interior lineman in the first 2 days (rounds 1-3) as they have no starter at C and they really have no proven guy at RG either.  Granted, we've seen flashes, but we've also seen how hard it is for Hopkins to stay healthy for a year.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 02:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Ok, I agree with you to a certain extent, but I also look at this a little different.

I think Mike Brown is ok (and probably would encourage) spending the draft capital on this because there is no way in hell he's paying a top tier OG $13 million per year or a top tier C $8 million per year.  This way, can get top tier prospects and pay them a fraction of what an experienced guy will get.

I actually think they draft 2 interior lineman in the first 2 days (rounds 1-3) as they have no starter at C and they really have no proven guy at RG either.  Granted, we've seen flashes, but we've also seen how hard it is for Hopkins to stay healthy for a year.

Oh yeah, they have 4 picks in that range... I can see that happening, but not a back-to-back interior line picks. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 02:33 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Oh yeah, they have 4 picks in that range... I can see that happening, but not a back-to-back interior line picks. 

It wouldn't shock me one bit - especially if they go Hernandez or Wynn in Round 1.
Reply/Quote
If we draft an LB to play SAM, I hope it's Rashan Evans. I love Edmunds, and I'd never let him past me in the draft, but I think there's plenty of other teams who'd feel the same way. He's not slipping to 21, but Evans might. Still, we need to address Oline in a major way, and I'm always wrong about predicting the BEngals to take an LB in Round 1. If we don't take one in 1, I hope we get Jesse Jewell in round 3.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 05:48 PM)wcu Wrote: Those are obviously two of the biggest needs on the team, and I think we’re in a great position to address both of them.

#21 is very possibly around the time that Tremaine Edmunds and Leighton Vander Esch come off the board.

If we take the LB at 21, one of the top interior OL prospects (Price, Hernandez, Daniels) will likely be available in round 2.

If you given your choice of a combination of these players in these rounds, who would you choose?

I think I’d go with Vander Esch and Daniels. LVE is such a great athlete and a play making machine. Likewise, Daniels can do so much and make plays most centers can’t. Imagine the versatility and flexibility he’d bring to the oline.

I love Daniels for his versatility and brains, but I’m hoping for more pure strength at the point of attack like Price or Ragnow. As far as the interior oline and LB being greatest need, what about RT? Are we going to go with Fisher and the guy from the Giants? I think if McGlinchey falls to 21, he could start day 1 on the right side and be a huge upgrade over Fisher. I’m not as sure on Kolton Miller, but I think RT is still a huge question mark where we have Boling, Westerman, and Redmond for the guard spots, plus what we all assume will be a drafted center.

I’m alone on this, but I would take Price in Rd 1, and Orlando Brown in Rd 2. I love Shaq Griffin in the 3rd. Exactly what we need at LB, a burner that covers a ton of ground and is a tackling machine.
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to accept the idea that the Bengals likely won't go LB in the first two rounds. So, with focus shifting completely to fixing the interior of the OL, I'll give you my revised "dream" scenario.

Billy Price and Isiah Wynn.

Talent, aggressiveness, intelligence. Everything Coach Pollack looks for in an OL. Those two are what I would call "low fat" players, meaning along with Boling, that interior 3 could be as easily effective running a zone blocking scheme, as they would in a straight up man scheme. All of the benefits of straight ahead power, with the versatility to trap and pull counters.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 06:18 PM)3wt Wrote: I agree.  As Owczarski said, it is unlikely they'll look at a linebacker till day 3

And it's not like there isn't a lot of ways they have to go that will make me happy, but I would love to get a linebacker squad that would give us back at least some of the middle of the field and make running backs looking everywhere for where the next hammer is coming from.  I think we're 2/3 of the way there.   I think Evans is an underrated linebacker.

The Bengals could (and should) consider using Shawn Williams as a nickel LB too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 01:46 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Count me among the people that don't think LB is this huge need.

We signed Preston Brown.  We use 2 linebackers a majority of the time.  The team likes Vigil, Evans and Rey.  I know people on the board see it as a need, but I don't think the team is even remotely considering one.

I dont think LB is as big of a need as the Oline. I dont think the Bengals LB core is great but I think its a lot more serviceable then this Oline is. I think Brown, Tez, and throw in Lawson/Vigil/ Evans can hold their own, and maybe the Bengals use 3rd round picks on BPA LB. I think the 1st/2nd rd Bengals Board should looks something like McGlinchey, Hernandez, Wynn, Price, Daniels for the 1st round, and pick whats left of that group if any in the second. I think the Bengals need to hit on at least two starting drafted Olineman to even smell the playoffs this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 08:50 PM)Shady Wrote: If we draft an LB to play SAM, I hope it's Rashan Evans. I love Edmunds, and I'd never let him past me in the draft, but I think there's plenty of other teams who'd feel the same way. He's not slipping to 21, but Evans might. Still, we need to address Oline in a major way, and I'm always wrong about predicting the BEngals to take an LB in Round 1. If we don't take one in 1, I hope we get Jesse Jewell in round 3.

Fine with this as long as that means the SAM sees the field more than they have been putting SAM out there. However, it's not worth a 1st rounder on a SAM that plays less than 50% of the snaps.
Speaking of SAM, Bengals have been talking about trying to use Lawson as a traditional SAM and then edge rusher on passing downs. A la Von Miller or Peter Boulware.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 11:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm starting to accept the idea that the Bengals likely won't go LB in the first two rounds.  So, with focus shifting completely to fixing the interior of the OL, I'll give you my revised "dream" scenario.

Billy Price and Isiah Wynn.  

Talent, aggressiveness, intelligence.  Everything Coach Pollack looks for in an OL.  Those two are what I would call "low fat" players, meaning along with Boling, that interior 3 could be as easily effective running a zone blocking scheme, as they would in a straight up man scheme.  All of the benefits of straight ahead power, with the versatility to trap and pull counters.

As you know, so would I.

I think i need to switch my Mock though now, with Price falling cause of his pectoral injury.

I don't think Wynn will last past our pick at 21 now honestly. Dude is too smart and versatile, fellow Bulldog to boot.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As you know, so would I.

I think i need to switch my Mock though now, with Price falling cause of his pectoral injury.

I don't think Wynn will last past our pick at 21 now honestly. Dude is too smart and versatile, fellow Bulldog to boot.

I think Wynn and then the best center at 46 is our best option.  If we need to trade up at 46, I'd be for it, if Pollack thought it was necessary.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 02:11 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I think Wynn and then the best center at 46 is our best option.  If we need to trade up at 46, I'd be for it, if Pollack thought it was necessary.

This is where I’m at. Get your versatile guard at21 then trade up and get one of the top centers. As it stands We have 11 picks and there is no way they all make the roster.if they are really in win now mode, which I believe they are, Expend some of those picks and really fortify that oline. Including the Glenn trade, those 3 moves change the offense significantly.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 02:11 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I think Wynn and then the best center at 46 is our best option.  If we need to trade up at 46, I'd be for it, if Pollack thought it was necessary.

I agree.

As much as i don't want to gamble on waiting till 46 for our Center, Wynn can play Center so he is the one guy i would
definately take and wait afterward for either Price or Ragnow to fall. But trade up if we have to grab either one. We have
plenty of picks to make it happen.

This is my ideal scenario now.

(03-30-2018, 02:18 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: This is where I’m at. Get your versatile guard at21 then trade up and get one of the top centers. As it stands We have 11 picks and there is no way they all make the roster.if they are really in win now mode, which I believe they are, Expend some of those picks and really fortify that oline. Including the Glenn trade, those 3 moves change the offense significantly.

For sure, we have plenty of picks and this way we get that stud in Wynn and still get our Center for the future.

O-line is fixed, watch them gel and the Offense grow into one of the best in the league.
Reply/Quote