Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBT Job Discrimination Is Prohibited by Civil Rights Law
This reminds me of a situation I had with my son about 2 years ago. He worked at a very famous fast food joint. He wears earrings, but he was not allowed to wear them at work; however, the girls could. I always thought that was discrimination based on sex.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-15-2017, 03:13 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I've never been asked or needed to tell someone what my sexual preferences are.

But that's just me, doing my job.  Apparently that makes me un-American.  I've still yet to meet someone who would rather be a bigot than make money, but apparently those white, homophobic males dominate the economy.  It's a GREAT argument to make, when the people you make it to have no clue to know better.

Good for you.

Now the people who are asked are protected.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-15-2017, 08:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This reminds me of a situation I had with my son about 2 years ago. He worked at a very famous fast food joint. He wears earrings, but he was not allowed to wear them at work; however, the girls could. I always thought that was discrimination based on sex.

My dad, who is fairly liberal about such social things, had the same rule when he managed a place. 

I think later on he relaxed that rule.

Of course he didn't want me to ever have a beard either.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-15-2017, 03:13 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I've never been asked or needed to tell someone what my sexual preferences are.

But that's just me, doing my job. Apparently that makes me un-American. I've still yet to meet someone who would rather be a bigot than make money, but apparently those white, homophobic males dominate the economy. It's a GREAT argument to make, when the people you make it to have no clue to know better.

Most discrimination based on orientation occurs not because someone has disclosed anything at work, but because it is suspected, assumed, or discovered from activities outside of work. Yes, this type of discrimination occurs and is legal in many places. I've seen it happen, I've had friends it has happened to, but everyone has different life experiences.

(04-15-2017, 08:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This reminds me of a situation I had with my son about 2 years ago. He worked at a very famous fast food joint. He wears earrings, but he was not allowed to wear them at work; however, the girls could. I always thought that was discrimination based on sex.

That is sex based discrimination.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-15-2017, 03:13 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote:  I've still yet to meet someone who would rather be a bigot than make money, but apparently those white, homophobic males dominate the economy.

You have met lots of people like that you just do not realize it.  Since you don't even know the sexual orientation of anyone you work with so how could you possibly know if they were bigots.  You never discuss anything like that with them.

But if you are still so niave as to think they don't exist here you go......

[Image: pTkKKMUu.jpg]

It is easy to deny bigotry when you keep your head buried in the sand. They may not run the country, but anyone who acts like they don't exist is being willfully ignorant.

Kind of makes me wonder what sort of person would work so hard to "avoid" knowing anything about bigotry.

Rolleyes