Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LINEBACKER!?
(10-31-2019, 01:09 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I don't even watch college football but I hear Clay Travis in the morning he not even a ohio state fan and he goes on and on occasionally how incredible Fields is

Man...I think IF the plan was to get a QB next year...we trade Green.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:41 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Heres my concern, lets say we go QB round 1 we then must address the offensive line in round 2.  are we really gonna wait again to address the linebacker situation.  pratt does not look good vigil like ive been saying for years now is NOT GOOD AT ALL preston brown is also NOT GOOD AT ALL.  when is this team gonna get its linebacker of the future.  we know it wont be FA.  Its just my concern.  team has a lot of needs but linebacker situation is kiiiiiilling me.  We get ran through week in and week out cuz of it. Someone please give me something positive about it although i fear there is nothing.
And what exactly would you propose they do instead? 

Obviously a lot of positions need addressing and unfortunately they have picked and failed on at least 3 different first round lineman in last couple years.

Had Fisher and oh boy he and price not been bust then maybe linebacker could and would be addressed more easily.  However you can't just ignore the fact that they still desperately need a line.

The fact is the QB touches the ball on every offensive play (wildcat aside).  And that QB needs to be protected if he's to be successful.

I agree LB is a critical position and one that has been a happing hole on the Bengals D for too long but it may have to wait until other positions are resolved.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 01:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: Can't you see the undrafted free agent steals Hobspin will be promoting.

Hell we need them the undrafted rookies to start too!

I am getting angry just thinking about this knowing it is coming. You should be able to get at least 2 really good free agents on the line with the money save by Dalton alone. Then if you ship Kirkpatrickthere is another 2 quality linebackers to help with that money. at least not show our hand in the draft other than the first pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 01:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: The Browns model before the Hue tank (when they had to trade players for extra picks). Of course they blew all those years of multiple picks from passing on top qb's like Wentz/Goff/Mahone/Watson. But they were able to build up a nice run of multiple first round picks at first without the trades. Like 5 years worth.

It's a gamble (if we don't eventually get the right QB or the other QB's we pass on star), but we do need more picks if we can't rely on FA help.

Exactly. You can take the gamble to get more picks and hope they contribute enough to rebuild faster of you get the studs and maybe the rebuild takes longer because you need more good players.

Example:
I'd love to get Andrew Thomas but perhaps it's more wise to trade back to be able to get both Tristan Wirfs and either Kenneth Murray or Isaiah Simmons. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If Preston & Vigil are opening day starters then we riot.
We should get one in free agency(or trade) & a RT in free agency.(or Trade).
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why wouldn't we go LB in FA? We brought Preston Brown in one year after he led the league in tackles.

nice try bruh.....preston brown walked into our building without being recruited at all by our staff and said he wanted to play here, our front office was shocked.  bengals did nothing  in regards to going out and getting a linebacker worthy.... also the bills seem like the smarter of the two teams as brown has been complete trash since being here and since he left the bills defense has been substantially better. brown is doo doo which is consistent with the rest of whom the bengals tend to sign from FA.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Are you saying we can't find 8-9 quality starters in 1 draft?

i went back and looked and i coulnt find anywhere that i said that soo ur outa luck with ur pointless post.  i simply am worried that again linebacker is gonna have to take a back seat to more glaring needs on this football team.  this forum is filled with people that need help that told me during last off season that we were find with pratt vigil and brown and i argued that perdicting we would get ran through week to week and well thats whats been happening so im just frustrated at our linebacker group and it seems it wont be addressed early again and i have zero faith in this front office going and nabbing and top tier linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals are not sold on either Tua or Herbert, maybe they should consider trading back.

i agree with that but what about Burrow.  I do like alot what im seeing from him this year.  He looks like an franchise QB as well.  not sure where he will go but id have to assume hes still top 10 right?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 01:06 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Love the relentless effort in the thread title.

I just think the better tough defenses in the league value the linebacker position and i feel like if u have good linebackers ur defense is atleast middle of the road.  but our linebackers are a perfect example of what our defense is......dead last.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 01:23 PM)motoarch Wrote: And what exactly would you propose they do instead? 

Obviously a lot of positions need addressing and unfortunately they have picked and failed on at least 3 different first round lineman in last couple years.

Had Fisher and oh boy he and price not been bust then maybe linebacker could and would be addressed more easily.  However you can't just ignore the fact that they still desperately need a line.

The fact is the QB touches the ball on every offensive play (wildcat aside).  And that QB needs to be protected if he's to be successful.

I agree LB is a critical position and one that has been a happing hole on the Bengals D for too long but it may have to wait until other positions are resolved.

bro thats why my concern is linebacker is gonna have to wait again cuz ill concede qb and olineman will have to go round 1 and round 2 which i said in my post.  i have zero faith in the front office addressing linebacker in FA by grabbing a stud cuz they cant evaluate and properly value talent.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Are you saying we can't find 8-9 quality starters in 1 draft?

We can’t even get 8 to 9 quality coaches in the same room.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 02:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Exactly. You can take the gamble to get more picks and hope they contribute enough to rebuild faster of you get the studs and maybe the rebuild takes longer because you need more good players.

Example:
I'd love to get Andrew Thomas but perhaps it's more wise to trade back to be able to get both Tristan Wirfs and either Kenneth Murray or Isaiah Simmons. 

agree with this 100%

1. Tristan Wirfs 
1. Kenneth Murray/Isaiah Simmons
2. Jacob Eason

Then drafted a corner in round 3 and signed a guard from FA we could really be trending upward
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 02:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Exactly. You can take the gamble to get more picks and hope they contribute enough to rebuild faster of you get the studs and maybe the rebuild takes longer because you need more good players.

Example:

I hope Alex Leatherwood is at the top of the second for the Bengals . He keeps rising up the draft boards on me lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:16 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: agree with this 100%

1. Tristan Wirfs 
2. Jacob Eason

Then drafted a corner in round 3 and signed a guard from FA we could really be trending upward

Actually the CB FA market looks (far) better than guard market and I think starting-caliber guard can be more easily found than CB, but I agree with your Rds 1 and 2. Eason is a bit raw but he has the tools to mold into a great QB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:41 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Heres my concern, lets say we go QB round 1 we then must address the offensive line in round 2.  are we really gonna wait again to address the linebacker situation.  pratt does not look good vigil like ive been saying for years now is NOT GOOD AT ALL preston brown is also NOT GOOD AT ALL.  when is this team gonna get its linebacker of the future.  we know it wont be FA.  Its just my concern.  team has a lot of needs but linebacker situation is kiiiiiilling me.  We get ran through week in and week out cuz of it. Someone please give me something positive about it although i fear there is nothing.

I hear Sample is going to play LBer!
Reply/Quote
I think Finely shows us that he can be the starter and we draft an Offensive guard or LB in the 1st round.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
Linebacker? Are those the guys that run into the line 2 gaps over from the hole the RB is in or are they the guys that try to chase the TE in the game of tag. I haven't seen one in so long I forget.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why wouldn't we go LB in FA? We brought Preston Brown in one year after he led the league in tackles.

Fred ? is that you ?
Reply/Quote
If Finley faces intense pressure and has to run around the pocket to save his life in the last 8 games, I think the Bengals will have to address the offensive line with the first two picks. Why draft a QB in the 1st when they will be set up for failure? They can get Thomas in Round 1 and a Kindley/Bredeson in Round 2.

Trading Green would have enabled them to get a QB of their choice at 1a and then a solid OT at 1b. They can then grab Kindley/Bredeson in Round 2. Of course, the draft is months away and lots can and will happen until then but you get the point.

I don't think Finley will be successful. I like the fact that they are going to give him a shot, but, I have no confidence in that line to give him the time he needs. I hope I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote

Example:

I checked out Wirfs... not really a fan of his.  I do say get OLine, but I don't think Wirfs is the guy we would need.  I don't mind getting more picks though.  Just disagree with who you have us getting.  Wirfs strikes me as a Jake Fisher type OT.

I don't see why we don't go Thomas, trade back into the 1st and grab Kindley (I hope he is there in 2 but seriously doubt it), if we don't trade back into the 1st and stay put in the 2nd and Kindley is gone I would want us to take Ben Bredeson with our 2nd pick.

I know this thread is about LBer.  However I am also intrigued with Tyler Biadasz to go with this rebuild at OLine.  If they were to pan out that would be Williams, Kindley, Biadasz, Hopkins and Thomas.  RG would still be an issue unless Price can get it together (which I am doubting at this point). 

Then in the 4th round, get Joe Bachie from Michigan State, tackling machine, decent in coverage and just an all around good player.

(10-31-2019, 03:16 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: agree with this 100%

1. Tristan Wirfs 
2. Jacob Eason

As I said above, I don't like the guys you are going for.  Murray is a hard hitter, but he is also out of position at times.  Simmons seems more of a 3-4 LBer guy to me.  More effective as a pass rusher and stopping the run.  I don't mind Jacob Eason, but without a good OLine, just see him getting beat up and not being as effective.  

(10-31-2019, 09:19 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: If Finley faces intense pressure and has to run around the pocket to save his life in the last 8 games, I think the Bengals will have to address the offensive line with the first two picks. Why draft a QB in the 1st when they will be set up for failure? They can get Thomas in Round 1 and a Kindley/Bredeson in Round 2.

Trading Green would have enabled them to get a QB of their choice at 1a and then a solid OT at 1b. They can then grab Kindley/Bredeson in Round 2. Of course, the draft is months away and lots can and will happen until then but you get the point.

I don't think Finley will be successful. I like the fact that they are going to give him a shot, but, I have no confidence in that line to give him the time he needs. I hope I'm wrong.

Love the fact you are mentioning Kindley/Bredeson for round 2.  I hope they go Thomas in round 1.  I am sure they will grab a QB though, which kills me that some fans have the presence of mind to forgo a QB and take the OLine guys. 

You win some games with a good QB, you win a lot of games with a good OLine.
Reply/Quote