Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La'El Collins opt out
https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-glossary/#:~:text=Injury%20Settlement%20%E2%80%93%20In%20the%20NFL,reached%2C%20the%20player%20is%20released.

Injury Waivers – In the NFL, an injured player cannot be released. From the beginning of the league year in March until the final cut down date, Non-Vested Veterans (players with less than 4 years of service time) must pass through Injury Waivers (officially designated as “Waived-Injured”) before being place in Injured Reserve (IR). Vested Veterans (those with 4+ years of service time) do not have to pass through Injury Waivers and can be placed directly on Injured Reserve (IR).
Reply/Quote
I feel like they'll keep him because there other options are probably to start Adeniji or a rookie they draft. I can't see the Bengals spending big at RT considering they have to pay big money to guys like Burrow , Chase , Higgins, and Wilson. Far as Collins play goes I agree his best days are behind him. He can be a good run blocker but looked slow and bad at pass blocking.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully we won't have to hurry and start Collins as soon as he is healthy because Dawand Jones is excelling at RT. But I imagine Collins will be on PUP for awhile and could end up being a real nice late season roster boost.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 08:09 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: either move him to LG or cut him

He did play LG his first season in the league and did quite well.  If Volson could move to RT it would be a nice swap, although I don't see any way Collins is ready for the start of the season.  Any plans for the offensive line have to assume he won't be there but if he makes it back and can play Guard potentially, it gives the Bengals some options.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 12:00 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He did play LG his first season in the league and did quite well.  If Volson could move to RT it would be a nice swap, although I don't see any way Collins is ready for the start of the season.  Any plans for the offensive line have to assume he won't be there but if he makes it back and can play Guard potentially, it gives the Bengals some options.  

I have more faith in Carman at tackle than Volson. Volson is a fine back up, and he’s extremely cheap. Bengals aren’t forced to play him
Reply/Quote
I’m still hoping Carman’s good play late wasn’t a fluke and we can go with him and Jonah at the tackle spots. Even if it wasn’t I think we still need to draft/sign another tackle.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 12:31 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I’m still hoping Carman’s good play late wasn’t a fluke and we can go with him and Jonah at the tackle spots. Even if it wasn’t I think we still need to draft/sign another tackle.

Problem is that now we have 2 new tackles from last season's lineup, again.  One who couldnt beat out a rookie from SDSU and hadnt played tackle for 2 years before our next to last game and the other that hasnt played RT since 2016.

Leave the oline as it is for continuity and bite the bullet - draft a plug-n-play tackle with #28, is my suggestion as of today.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 12:03 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I have more faith in Carman at tackle than Volson. Volson is a fine back up, and he’s extremely cheap. Bengals aren’t forced to play him

What he did as a rookie, in a big step up in competition and while learning a new position was nothing short of incredible.  Played every damn snap just about, too.  I think the guy deserves at least a look at it.  

I agree that Carman will probably win the LT job and Jonah might be traded or be a $15 million backup.  Carman showed much better anchor than Jonah and did it against top competition. 

No one seemed to give him a shot at tackle, either, and he played some of his best ball in two starts at LT against playoff teams.  
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 12:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If you're going to pay him for an IS, i'd rather keep him on the roster and have him there in case there's another injury late in the year. If he ends up not playing, you can always just take the 1.6M dead cap hit the next year. 

I'm not a real big fan of potentially having his and Jonah's contracts sitting on the bench but i am a big fan of having them available if someone gets hurts before the playoffs. I don't ever wanna see Hakeem Adeniji or anyone like him taking important snaps in playoff games/super bowls. 

Exactly!!  It makes the most sense to keep him and have him reserved as a backup.  We've been burnt badly the past two years with our OL come playoff time, and we're lucky Joe hasn't been injured again and turned into another David Klingler.  I've always felt terrible for what we did to that kid's career.

Bottom line:  We need to take a ROT as our first pick. OSU's ROT-Dwand Jones is looking to go early second like the late 30s or early 40th pick, he'll be there for us at 28.   I've heard others say, "We could gamble our first pick and get a mid-30s second round and a few others in a trade," but I'd rather take him when we know we can get him.  I also like Flordia's OT- Richard Gouraige in the 6th or 7th as he had the best grade of any OT in the Reeses' Sr. Bowl at 64, and had a pass block grade of 79 for the 2022 season--- per pff.com.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 03:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What he did as a rookie, in a big step up in competition and while learning a new position was nothing short of incredible.  Played every damn snap just about, too.  I think the guy deserves at least a look at it.  

I agree that Carman will probably win the LT job and Jonah might be traded or be a $15 million backup.  Carman showed much better anchor than Jonah and did it against top competition. 

No one seemed to give him a shot at tackle, either, and he played some of his best ball in two starts at LT against playoff teams.  

I get it's the off season and we have nothing else to discuss but.... really?

There is no competition at LT, unless they draft a 1st Rd LT.

Why in the world would they even consider moving Volson after he spent all season to learn guard?  He will be like a rookie all over again at RT, you all are killing this guy.

What do you think we would all say if the Bengals traded for an injury prone tackle with short arms that lead the league in sacks given up, oh and he costs 12.3M....? Lets agree that trading Jonah may be difficult.  We could trade Tee and make them take Jonah...?

I think you boys might want to slow your horses on some of these suggestions.  Consider how long it took for the oline to gel this past season.  Now you guys want to disrupt at least 2 spots maybe 3?

Bengals are pretty conservative and strive for continuity, I think they will keep the oline in tack as much as possible and hope they only have to deal with one new guy at RT.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 11:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I get it's the off season and we have nothing else to discuss but.... really?

There is no competition at LT, unless they draft a 1st Rd LT.

Why in the world would they even consider moving Volson after he spent all season to learn guard?  He will be like a rookie all over again at RT, you all are killing this guy.

What do you think we would all say if the Bengals traded for an injury prone tackle with short arms that lead the league in sacks given up, oh and he costs 12.3M....? Lets agree that trading Jonah may be difficult.  We could trade Tee and make them take Jonah...?

I think you boys might want to slow your horses on some of these suggestions.  Consider how long it took for the oline to gel this past season.  Now you guys want to disrupt at least 2 spots maybe 3?

Bengals are pretty conservative and strive for continuity, I think they will keep the oline in tack as much as possible and hope they only have to deal with one new guy at RT.

That would be optimal. If they were able to get a T in rd1 and they got a G in 2 or 3, it wouldn't be too disruptive if Carman outplayed Jonah and the new G outplayed Volson. Though, i'd say the hope is that Jonah comes back strong and Volson shows improvement in TC so that the only new part is the RT. At least that way, you can feel comfortable with a LT and LG that will come off the bench strong. 

IF they did have 3 new guys again next year, they're going to have to make sure they get snaps together in preseason. Haaaaave to. 

P.S. with all that said, i wouldn't be surprised if they don't look for anything to push Volson. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Continuity is great, but talent is better. Put the 5 best olinemen we have on the field.

Volsten is not very good

Jonah is oft-injured and not that good when healthy

RT is wide open

At pick 28 we need to draft the best olineman available
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 01:16 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's what the PUP is for...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list

..I am starting to be more and more confident that cutting Collins doesn't need a settlement. He's not going to be on the IR, he doesn't have any injury guarantees in his contract, and it'll be a new league year.

I think they'll just hang onto him for one more year,, even if it's just for insurance.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 11:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That would be optimal. If they were able to get a T in rd1 and they got a G in 2 or 3, it wouldn't be too disruptive if Carman outplayed Jonah and the new G outplayed Volson. Though, i'd say the hope is that Jonah comes back strong and Volson shows improvement in TC so that the only new part is the RT. At least that way, you can feel comfortable with a LT and LG that will come off the bench strong. 

IF they did have 3 new guys again next year, they're going to have to make sure they get snaps together in preseason. Haaaaave to. 

P.S. with all that said, i wouldn't be surprised if they don't look for anything to push Volson. 

Volson will be tons better in year 2. We won 10 games in a row. The OL was playing tons better until the injuries.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 12:26 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Volson will be tons better in year 2. We won 10 games in a row. The OL was playing tons better until the injuries.

Hope so. Wins don't necessarily relate to how Volson played. The average G in the NFL gives up 3 or more pressures 3 or 4 times in a year (25 to 27 total per year). Volson did it 7 times (43 total pressures). 

He needs to cut his numbers almost in half. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Continuity is great, but talent is better. Put the 5 best olinemen we have on the field.

Volsten is not very good

Jonah is oft-injured and not that good when healthy

RT is wide open

At pick 28 we need to draft the best olineman available

Don't look now but John Michael-Schmitz kinda fits their recent draft mold. Experienced blue chip senior bowl standout that is a team captain... Bills might take him one spot ahead of the Bengals though lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 02:23 AM)Synric Wrote: Don't look now but John Michael-Schmitz kinda fits their recent draft mold. Experienced blue chip senior bowl standout that is a team captain... Bills might take him one spot ahead of the Bengals though lol.

I love me some JMS. Many loved Linderbaum last year but I never did. Admittedly Linderbaum had a fine rookie season, but JMS is more.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The smack on Volson is some of the dumbest shit I’ve seen.

How many NFL caliber players do you think he faced while playing at NDSU?

I saw a rookie 4th round pick from a small school holding his own and at times bullying guys. And he wasn’t a penalty machine and seemed to do very well with the mental aspect.

He’ll be an upper echelon G in the league this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 02:23 AM)Synric Wrote: Don't look now but John Michael-Schmitz kinda fits their recent draft mold. Experienced blue chip senior bowl standout that is a team captain... Bills might take him one spot ahead of the Bengals though lol.

Schmitz fits most team not named Chiefs or Eagles.  Guy is a stud, put him at center and slide Karras over, pray he is our Creed Humphrey.   But please pick up an OT....

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 03:31 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The smack on Volson is some of the dumbest shit I’ve seen.

How many NFL caliber players do you think he faced while playing at NDSU?

I saw a rookie 4th round pick from a small school holding his own and at times bullying guys. And he wasn’t a penalty machine and seemed to do very well with the mental aspect.

He’ll be an upper echelon G in the league this year.

Let's not get crazy, the guy graded out #65 out of 77 guards.  If we draft Torrence, Schmitz, Vorhees or Avila I feel great knowing Volson is a great depth player.

Reply/Quote