Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of Mental Toughness
We all know Marvin isn't having a great season and people have questioned the teams mental toughness at times but I wonder if it's even possible to have a team that is mentally tough with guys like Burfict and Jones. When a season is going down hill like this but we are still in reach of the division and need to step up do you think guys like Jones and Burfict help or hurt? We rely way too much on these 2. Jones has taken a step back and Burfict came into camp out of shape after binge eating Ben & Jerrys to cope with his depression from the playoff game he helped flush down the toilet. Not to mention both of them can be easily baited.

These guys are the defenses "leaders" and look where the defense is. Those 2 in particular should've have showed up this season ready to go.
Reply/Quote
I think age caught up with Mr. Jones over the off season. He looks two steps slower than he did last year. I remember conversations before his new contract where people wondered if all the time he missed actually made him physically less old than chronologically. It seems the answer is "no".
Reply/Quote
It's over for PacMan sorry to say. I personally disagree about Burfict. I believe he is one of the most mentally tough guys we have on the whole team. I understand him being out of shape and the concerns that elicits but when it's crunch time he is one of the few that can step up and make a difference. That's a sign of a mentally tough player. On Monday night he was the only guy out there on D with fire and intenstiy it seemed.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 12:26 PM)JumboTron Wrote: It's over for PacMan sorry to say.  I personally disagree about Burfict. I believe he is one of the most mentally tough guys we have on the whole team.  I understand him being out of shape and the concerns that elicits but when it's crunch time he is one of the few that can step up and make a difference.  That's a sign of a mentally tough player.  On Monday night he was the only guy out there on D with fire and intenstiy it seemed.

Burfict is amazing at football when it's all puppy toes and rainbows but between his weight and his chance of being suspended at any moment it'd be nice if we just dropped him down a peg. We need a real leader. When Burfict faced adversity this off-season after the WC meltdown he did not respond like a leader he showed up to work out of shape after getting in Twitter fights during the off-season. I would keep him around and give him a chance because we all know how good he can be but we can't go into next season relying on Burfict to help turnaround the defense. It's too much of a chance the leash needs to get tighter.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 12:40 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Burfict is amazing at football when it's all puppy toes and rainbows but between his weight and his chance of being suspended at any moment it'd be nice if we just dropped him down a peg. We need a real leader. When Burfict faced adversity this off-season after the WC meltdown he did not respond like a leader he showed up to work out of shape after getting in Twitter fights during the off-season. I would keep him around and give him a chance because we all know how good he can be but we can't go into next season relying on Burfict to help turnaround the defense. It's too much of a chance the leash needs to get tighter.

Now there's a phrase I though I'd never see when discussing the likes of Burfict lol.

We will see about Burfict, but I still think he can become a great leader and a true cornerstone of this team for years to come.  
Reply/Quote
They had mental toughness last year for the first time since 1990. Not really sure what happened. We can sit here and play couch coaches and therapists until the cows come home but no one really truly knows what happened, especially with the offensive line. Even Green alluded to that.

I will say it again and again, the ONLY common denominator since 1991 has been Mike Brown. I agree with Wyche that either one of the two has to happen before this franchise can seriously contend for a title:

1. Brown passes away.
2. In order to save face with his relationship with Marvin, which is important to the man, he offers Marvn GM or retirement, Marvin accepts one or the other, the staff is totally overhauled with no-nonsense style, and Brown stays in his office and does owner responsibilities.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 11:54 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: We all know Marvin isn't having a great season and people have questioned the teams  mental toughness at times but I wonder if it's even possible to have a team that is mentally tough with guys like Burfict and Jones. When a season is going down hill like this but we are still in reach of the division and need to step up do you think guys like Jones and Burfict help or hurt? We rely way too much on these 2. Jones has taken a step back and Burfict came into camp out of shape after binge eating Ben & Jerrys to cope with his depression from the playoff game he helped flush down the toilet. Not to mention both of them can be easily baited.

These guys are the defenses "leaders" and look where the defense is. Those 2 in particular should've have showed up this season ready to go.

This team has never been mentally tough under Marvin Screwus though.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote