Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of OL talent league wide
SI did a midseason survey of team execs. One of the questions asked is "What trend is happening that no one is talking about?" considering our challenges with the OL and our running game, I thought this answer was telling.

What trend is happening in the NFL right now that no one is talking about?

“The lack of NFL level offensive linemen and the return of the run game/running back—with all the fantasy football and rules being made to get points up and passing yardage up, there are not enough offensive tackles for 32 teams to have at least two NFL level starters to execute the passing game at an efficient enough level to win being a "passing, greatest show on turf" type of offense. Still have to run to win. The offensive-minded coaches that know how to devise ways to run the ball with lesser talent in the offensive line or when their front line OL are out are the guys that give their guys the best chance to win.”

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Yeah...I've said it before...but there are coaches who would be able to run the ball here. Heck, look at Mixon's yardage last year.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 04:44 PM)pally Wrote: SI did a midseason survey of team execs.  One of the questions asked is "What trend is happening that no one is talking about?"  considering our challenges with the OL and our running game, I thought this answer was telling.

What trend is happening in the NFL right now that no one is talking about?

“The lack of NFL level offensive linemen and the return of the run game/running back—with all the fantasy football and rules being made to get points up and passing yardage up, there are not enough offensive tackles for 32 teams to have at least two NFL level starters to execute the passing game at an efficient enough level to win being a "passing, greatest show on turf" type of offense. Still have to run to win. The offensive-minded coaches that know how to devise ways to run the ball with lesser talent in the offensive line or when their front line OL are out are the guys that give their guys the best chance to win.”

The lack of talent has been known for many years - just another reason why this team should have 'overpaid' for both Whit and Zietler. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 05:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I've said it before...but there are coaches who would be able to run the ball here. Heck, look at Mixon's yardage last year.

Just look at the Patriots.

They let Left Tackle Nate Solder leave after the 2017 season.

Then they made Trent Brown the starting Left Tackle for 2018.

Trent Brown then gets the highest offensive lineman contract in the league to go to the Raiders in 2019 (leaving the Patriots)

The Patriots are still winning with their penciled in starter Isaiah Wynn missing most of 2019 so far and using backups.

They find ways to use backs, tight ends etc to help these backups with situational blocking.

Coaching is Key...
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 07:31 PM)depthchart Wrote: Just look at the Patriots.

Trent Brown then gets the highest offensive lineman contract in the league to go to the Raiders in 2019 (leaving the Patriots)

The Patriots are still winning with their penciled in starter Isaiah Wynn missing most of 2019 so far and using backups.

They find ways to use backs, tight ends etc to help these backups with situational blocking.

Coaching is Key...

I wish we had some of that coaching stuff on this team.

Reply/Quote
Is it a lack of talent or a lack of coaching? Maybe lineman need to actually start getting smaller again to compete with the smaller quicker defenders.
Reply/Quote
Some is college schemes. Guys come to the Pros from offenses where they never had to either pass block or run block sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 07:39 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Is it a lack of talent or a lack of coaching? 

Good news for this team - it is BOTH. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
The trend has been down since the start of the decade; makes it even more frustrating that we of Whitworth and Zeitler go.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 07:31 PM)depthchart Wrote: Just look at the Patriots.

Coaching is Key...

The Patriots have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. In fact there averaging 3.3 yards a carry and are struggling to keep Tom upright on passing plays.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
There was a former line coach on Sirius recently (not PA) who stated that modern o-linemen cannot compete with modern d-linemen, period.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 08:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some is college schemes. Guys come to the Pros from offenses where they never had to either pass block or run block sometimes.

Shit sign me up I have never had do do either as well. I can also let people run over, around and through me with the best of them.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 09:00 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: There was a former line coach on Sirius recently (not PA) who stated that modern o-linemen cannot compete with modern d-linemen, period.

So having a hybrid QB is the future of the NFL. (A QB with wheels.. aka running QB, oh! and can throw too).
Reply/Quote
You can get a decent OL in the 1st or 2nd rounds most years, the Bengals just suck at drafting now. Up until 2015, the Bengals were actually one of the better teams at drafting, focusing on BPA. But they have focused too much on positions of need in the first (which, IMO why our second rounders have been outperforming our first rounders). You don’t have to be a scout to watch film, most here would pick up on that Cedric Ogbuehi was not a ‘player’. We didn’t need to take John Ross, but it was publically known that the Bengals were going to choose a WR that year. We should not have drafted Billy Price in the first when we could have drafted Derwin James or Leighton Cander Esch - that is not hindsight, I wanted both before the draft. We could be fine moving forward, but I don’t know what it takes with this team.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 01:52 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: You can get a decent OL in the 1st or 2nd rounds most years, the Bengals just suck at drafting now. Up until 2015, the Bengals were actually one of the better teams at drafting, focusing on BPA. But they have focused too much on positions of need in the first (which, IMO why our second rounders have been outperforming our first rounders). You don’t have to be a scout to watch film, most here would pick up on that Cedric Ogbuehi was not a ‘player’. We didn’t need to take John Ross, but it was publically known that the Bengals were going to choose a WR that year. We should not have drafted Billy Price in the first when we could have drafted Derwin James or Leighton Cander Esch - that is not hindsight, I wanted both before the draft. We could be fine moving forward, but I don’t know what it takes with this team.

Except James and Vander eshe went before we picked. We would have to traded up to get them. Most of the rest is fairly on the mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 08:54 PM)J24 Wrote: The Patriots have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. In fact there averaging 3.3 yards a carry and are struggling to keep Tom upright on passing plays.

But I’ve been told Brady could never win with a bad OL....

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 09:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But I’ve been told Brady could never win with a bad OL....

Well, he did just get devastated behind that bad OL, when they played against a solid defense on Sunday.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 01:56 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Except James and Vander eshe went before we picked.  We would have to traded up to get them.  Most of the rest is fairly on the mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We traded down in order to get Cordy Glenn.
Reply/Quote
Not only a lack of quality O-Lineman at the NFL level but we are also seeing it at the college level.

We need to get the midwest farm boys back on the 6 meals a day, bulk them up and learn how to step backwards fast.

This trend will probably be on a solid 4 year cycle before we see the talent level increase across the board. Remember it has to start at the high school and college level before these "hogs" make it to the show
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 09:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, he did just get devastated behind that bad OL, when they played against a solid defense on Sunday.

They’re still 8-1. To suggest elite QB’s can’t overcome bad OL play has always, and will always be ridiculous.

Also, they beat the Bills, who have an elite defense.

Reply/Quote