Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of Spend at Backup QB
So the Bengals take a calculated risk and go cheap on backup QB. While it takes the cap numbers down, it's been a huge liability this year.

It's obvious that Burrow is struggling.

If we had a better backup, we'd likely be less hesitant to play the backup qb.)
Reply/Quote
Hah literally hinted at something like this a couple of minutes ago in another thread. Crazy thing is, the backup QB is by far the most important backup position with a big gap to the second most. Now granted chances are that a team won't get a Brady or Kurt Warner as the back up. BUt Philly made a Super Bowl run not too long ago with one.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yep. But there are better ones than what we have. Kind of late now.
Reply/Quote
McCarron is decent enough if he can get caught up or we simplify the playbook until he does. I'd feel confident with him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: McCarron is decent enough if he can get caught up or we simplify the playbook until he does. I'd feel confident with him.

I'm more confident in McCarron than Burrow at this point. Burrow needs to recover because he's not helping anyone playing hurt. The offense has looked God awful. McCarron didn't do super well in 2015, but he did enough. Plus I think this roster is better than the 2015 one, even with Higgins out
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:40 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'm more confident in McCarron than Burrow at this point. Burrow needs to recover because he's not helping anyone playing hurt. The offense has looked God awful. McCarron didn't do super well in 2015, but he did enough. Plus I think this roster is better than the 2015 one, even with Higgins out

Yep. I just said in another thread that we have 2 QB's that are better than this version of Joe. McCarron can win ball games and he's been playing this year.

I also agree that this team is even better than the 2015 squad. On offense, anyways.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
One of the reasons that you need to draft the backup is that no QB who has and expectation of becoming a starter is going to sign to backup Burrow. It's a position without a future.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So the Bengals take a calculated risk and go cheap on backup QB. While it takes the cap numbers down, it's been a huge liability this year.

It's obvious that Burrow is struggling.

If we had a better backup, we'd likely be less hesitant to play the backup qb.)

Stated this numerous times, Siemian was one of the more experienced backups available and a good amount of good teams have weak backups..reality is not loaded backups out there or on many teams
Reply/Quote
I have so many threads where I preached that they need q QB that can at least split 4 games if Burrow were out. So many say we are screwed without Joe so why bother but I talked about this exact scenario in the spring. I told you so and I'm really angry that the FO didn't get an average backup QB in camp.
Reply/Quote
Teddy Bridgewater signed with the Lions for 3 million in August. Burrow injured his calf at the end of July. The Bengals could have went after Bridgewater knowing Burrow was hurt but they didnt. Bridgewater is not a great QB but he can make plays and win some games if needed. Imagine Bridgewater running this offense instead of Browning or McCarron. Just not good decision making by the Bengals front office.
Reply/Quote