Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of creativity on.offense.
So Im sitting here and just watched the Steelers score on a rub route in the red zone to Schuster. Ben took 2-steps and lofted it. Easy 6. Why in the hell.cant this offense execute simple rub routes or at least attempt it.
And it's not just rub routes. Im talking direct snaps to a rb. WR passes. How about WRs stacked on one side.?
I didnt even see a fake jet sweep one way and off tackle on the backside.
Did anyone see a draw play?
Im losing faith in ZT and Callahan really fast on developing a cutting edge creative offense
Reply/Quote
Rub routes like a pick? We’d get a penalty.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Rub routes like a pick? We’d get a penalty.

you're absolutely correct, but theb stoolers don't get penalized ..............EVER!!! shuster pushed off twice tonight alot worse that AJ did and guess effing what? NO FLAGS!!!

Reply/Quote
Good thing the browns are next, it would have sucked if we had the squeelers or ratbirds next.

Breaking Burrow softly into the NFL is crucial.
Reply/Quote
Getting creative with this OL would be more like pulling a Longest Yard move and throwing the ball right into the DE's family jewels after he runs by Hart. Personally I just would like to start with finding a way to protect Burrow long enough for him to set his feet and throw some medium range passes. That would be a good start for me, but I'm pretty boring. I feel like a draw play would get blown up before the handoff happened.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Rub routes like a pick? We’d get a penalty.

Took the words right off my keyboard.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I actually can't answer this question, does anyone think Andy would have won Sunday's game?

Burrow looked a lot like Andy out there to me, getting sacked, no time to throw. I don't think ANdy would have shuffle passed an INT, but he also wouldn't have run straight in from 23 yards I think. Lastly, Andy didn't get AJ to play with.

Burrow will likely be better than Andy (lol) either way.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 09:12 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I actually can't answer this question, does anyone think Andy would have won Sunday's game?

Burrow looked a lot like Andy out there to me, getting sacked, no time to throw. I don't think ANdy would have shuffle passed an INT, but he also wouldn't have run straight in from 23 yards I think. Lastly, Andy didn't get AJ to play with.

I think he would have. Having a quick release helps with all that pressure, plus experience is huge. Once Burrow gets more playing time he would win games like those. FWIW I think Dalton would have lost worse if it was his first nfl game 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 09:12 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I actually can't answer this question, does anyone think Andy would have won Sunday's game?

Andy's ability to run has always been underestimated.  He tucked the ball and ran any number of times over the years.

Last season Zac estimated they were able to use about a 1/4 of the playbook due to injuries and player's capabilities.  Game 1 was Joe's first time on an NFL field.  Each week he will improve and that will open up more of the playbook

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 09:25 AM)pally Wrote: Andy's ability to run has always been underestimated.  He tucked the ball and ran any number of times over the years.

Last season Zac estimated they were able to use about a 1/4 of the playbook due to injuries and player's capabilities.  Game 1 was Joe's first time on an NFL field.  Each week he will improve and that will open up more of the playbook

Andy had slow feet but when Andy decided to run he was pretty good but there were too many times he hesitated to run even with an open pocket but just decided to either hang onto the ball or run lateral towards the sideline where he was very slow.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:16 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Getting creative with this OL would be more like pulling a Longest Yard move and throwing the ball right into the DE's family jewels after he runs by Hart. Personally I just would like to start with finding a way to protect Burrow long enough for him to set his feet and throw some medium range passes. That would be a good start for me, but I'm pretty boring. I feel like a draw play would get blown up before the handoff happened.

^

When you are getting your QB hit on simple plays cause the O-line is having trouble picking up the right guy, how creative can you really get?

I can't remember the exact play, but there was a point in the game where they tried to change up the blocking assignments and run some sort of play that was a little different, in the end Burrow was killed while Bobby Hart stood alone on the right side of the line blocking air... it was horrible to re-watch.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
They have a pretty good defensive line (bookends), let's see what happens as the season progresses. The same thing Andy had to be constrained towards Burrow will also, get used to no time in pocket and make plays that fit that.
Reply/Quote
Lot's of people are criticizing Taylor and Callahan for play calling, but Pat Kirwin and Kelly were praising the game plan, saying the quick short passes etc., were exactly what they should have done with a new rookie QB in his 1st game with no pre-season. Get his feet under him.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Lot's of people are criticizing Taylor and Callahan for play calling, but Pat Kirwin and Kelly were praising the game plan, saying the quick short passes etc., were exactly what they should have done with a new rookie QB in his 1st game with no pre-season. Get his feet under him.

Because they, unlike 90% of the posters, understand football.
Reply/Quote
We are 0-8 in close games with Taylor as coach. When you continually lose close games it's coaching.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Lot's of people are criticizing Taylor and Callahan for play calling, but Pat Kirwin and Kelly were praising the game plan, saying the quick short passes etc., were exactly what they should have done with a new rookie QB in his 1st game with no pre-season. Get his feet under him.

By "lots of people" you mean the couch OCs and HCs on here? I agree, you don't just throw a rookie QB out there and open the play book up. He hadn't been hit yet either. It's going to get better, hell we almost won that game with a simple game plan.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:16 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Getting creative with this OL would be more like pulling a Longest Yard move and throwing the ball right into the DE's family jewels after he runs by Hart. Personally I just would like to start with finding a way to protect Burrow long enough for him to set his feet and throw some medium range passes. That would be a good start for me, but I'm pretty boring. I feel like a draw play would get blown up before the handoff happened.

Hopefully this doesn't derail this thread, but did you see Pittsburgh OL? They were gawd awful till about the end of the half. 
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I thought the game was called ok; nothing amazing, nothing bad, just decent.

I do want to bring to light that when we went 4/5 wide constantly on that final drive, Burrow dominated and had his best drive of the day.

Perhaps with more targets, he is more comfortable?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:25 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, I thought the game was called ok; nothing amazing, nothing bad, just decent.

I do want to bring to light that when we went 4/5 wide constantly on that final drive, Burrow dominated and had his best drive of the day.

Perhaps with more targets, he is more comfortable?

My biggest issue was the tempo. 

Zac had a bunch of different formations that required personnel changes constantly early in the game. He allowed the defense to stay fresh and didnt try to gas them with a faster tempo. When the tempo did increase later in the game the offense was able to move the ball.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:18 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Because they, unlike 90% of the posters, understand football.

I will.ask again. Why do the Steelers run basic rub routes which is been proven to work time and time again
And I have yet to see a Bengals offense under ZT to even try to run it?
Reply/Quote