Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lafell on Lazor
It isn't much, but I like to hear this....

From Bengals.com:

New offensive coordinator Bill Lazor has been calling for more aggression and he's getting it. Wide receiver Brandon LaFell noted Monday they no longer want those, 10-12 play drives to be the norm.

“It’s more attack. Stretching it down the field,” LaFell said. “We’re trying to attack quick and get in the end zone and get on the sideline."

I think that is how we played in 2005 and 2015. More attacking style.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 08:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It isn't much, but I like to hear this....

From Bengals.com:

New offensive coordinator Bill Lazor has been calling for more aggression and he's getting it. Wide receiver Brandon LaFell noted Monday they no longer want those, 10-12 play drives to be the norm.

“It’s more attack. Stretching it down the field,” LaFell said. “We’re trying to attack quick and get in the end zone and get on the sideline."

I think that is how we played in 2005 and 2015.  More attacking style.

We definitely seemed more aggressive those years, and tbh our QB's both looked more comfortable. 

That year for Dalton, he had perhaps his best year throwing mid-deep, with a 130.4 rating on throws of 11-20 yards, and a 114.6 rating on throws of 21-30 yards. In the past, Dalton had struggled on the mid-range stuff. I remember Hue saying something about removing routes that Dalton struggled with and playing more to his strengths. Seemed like common sense, but NFL coordinators have big ego's.

Either way, Dalton looked very comfortable attacking downfield that year, routinely making throws we hadn't seen him make before. Hopefully we can get back to that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton and this offense have always been more suited for an uptempo type of offense. Glad to see it.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I like being aggressive but don't aggressively get yourself off the field in to big a hurry them big guys on D need a breather.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 09:56 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Andy Dalton and this offense have always been more suited for an uptempo type of offense. Glad to see it.

He said "attack quick" but I don't know if that means "up tempo".  It could just mean taking more deep shots down the field, i.e. "quick strike offense".

I have some concerns because taking deeper shots means needing longer pass protection.

I am for whatever works.  Some people claim they hate the "dink and dunk" offense, but I really don't care what works.  It is not like the short controlled passing game is so simple that any team can just march down the field and score all the time.  It is still difficult to execute really well.  It takes skill and precision.
Reply/Quote
A good offense is about balance. The yin and the yang.

You want to open up your run game? Hit enough shots down the field so that the safety can't just sit on the line of scrimmage.

You want to help your pass game? Have a good enough run game so that the safeties can't just play deep cover.

You don't have to be great at both, but if you are too weak at one then it will hurt the other.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: A good offense is about balance.  The yin and the yang.

You want to open up your run game?  Hit enough shots down the field so that the safety can't just sit on the line of scrimmage.

You want to help your pass game?  Have a good enough run game so that the safeties can't just play deep cover.

You don't have to be great at both, but if you are too weak at one then it will hurt the other.

This.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Bruce Arians ran a vertical offense for years in Pitt and Arizona. It can be explosive and also lead to quick 3 and outs. One thing to note though is it works well with a defense that generates a lot of turnovers. To me this is a total organizational shift where as the move defensively to try and generate more turnovers allows for a more attacking downfield based attack.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 11:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: Bruce Arians ran a vertical offense for years in Pitt and Arizona. It can be explosive and also lead to quick 3 and outs. One thing to note though is it works well with a defense that generates a lot of turnovers. To me this is a total organizational shift where as the move defensively to try and generate more turnovers allows for a more attacking downfield based attack.

I don't see what the defense would have to do with the success of a certain offensive scheme.

And I don't think we need to make dramatic shifts to our defensive scheme to generate more turnovers.  Over the last four years the Bengals are #1 in the league in interceptions.  We were down last year, but each of the previous three years we were in the top 4 in the league.
Reply/Quote
The best style of offense is being aggressive towards the opponent's weaknesses. If they want to be more aggressive just for the sake of being more aggressive, then I will just as hesitant about that style as if it was being conservative.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 11:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see what the defense would have to do with the success of a certain offensive scheme.

And I don't think we need to make dramatic shifts to our defensive scheme to generate more turnovers.  Over the last four years the Bengals are #1 in the league in interceptions.  We were down last year, but each of the previous three years we were in the top 4 in the league.

You can take more chances if you force more turnovers. If you are constantly going 3 and out and your defense has to go back onto the field for long drives they will eventually break. Also shot plays off of turnovers were a staple of Arians offenses, the belief being the best time to go deep is the immediately after a turnover due to the quick change.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 11:22 AM)Au165 Wrote: You can take more chances if you force more turnovers. If you are constantly going 3 and out and your defense has to go back onto the field for long drives they will eventually break. Also shot plays off of turnovers were a staple of Arians offenses, the belief being the best time to go deep is the immediately after a turnover due to the quick change.

Not to mention, you can shorten the field! 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 10:15 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I like being aggressive but don't aggressively get yourself off the field in to big a hurry them big guys on D need a breather.

I think we have gotten some good rotational guys for the DL, so they don't get all tired out. Also, I hope we stop rushing 3 guys when we need a stop!!!!
Reply/Quote
I'd be just fine with Mixon, Gio and perhaps Walton grinding defenses to dust series after series until late in the game then really hitting some nice quick scores.. However , ConservaMarv will probably never play it that way and do it in reverse.. Grind em down when we're already tired .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 10:15 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I like being aggressive but don't aggressively get yourself off the field in to big a hurry them big guys on D need a breather.

Controlling the CLOCK is the secret to securing a victory and dictating the game.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 08:56 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We definitely seemed more aggressive those years, and tbh our QB's both looked more comfortable. 

That year for Dalton, he had perhaps his best year throwing mid-deep, with a 130.4 rating on throws of 11-20 yards, and a 114.6 rating on throws of 21-30 yards. In the past, Dalton had struggled on the mid-range stuff. I remember Hue saying something about removing routes that Dalton struggled with and playing more to his strengths. Seemed like common sense, but NFL coordinators have big ego's.

Either way, Dalton looked very comfortable attacking downfield that year, routinely making throws we hadn't seen him make before. Hopefully we can get back to that.

He had an offensive line that year that could actually block and give him time to throw. 
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2018, 01:16 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Controlling the CLOCK is the secret to securing a victory and dictating the game.

The Pats have had the best offense (or one of) in the league for some time now.  It seems so simple, but they say that they are trying to score a TD every time they touch the ball.  The Pats don't care if they are up 17 points, they stay in attack mode.  This is something I hope that makes it to our team. 
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2018, 07:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Pats have had the best offense (or one of) in the league for some time now.  It seems so simple, but they say that they are trying to score a TD every time they touch the ball.  The Pats don't care if they are up 17 points, they stay in attack mode.  This is something I hope that makes it to our team. 

So, no more playing for the punt?  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2018, 08:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, no more playing for the punt?  Ninja

"A punt is a good play, my friend Jim Tressel told me that"  - Marvin Lewis
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2018, 07:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Pats have had the best offense (or one of) in the league for some time now.  It seems so simple, but they say that they are trying to score a TD every time they touch the ball.  The Pats don't care if they are up 17 points, they stay in attack mode.  This is something I hope that makes it to our team. 

1.  EVERY team tries to score every time they get the ball.

2.  EVERY team plays more conservative with a big lead in the second half.  Even the Patriots.  If yiou don't believe me just look at when they played the Browns two years ago.  23-7 lead at halftime.  Played it safe the second half to seal 33-13 win.
Reply/Quote