Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laid off
I decided to go independent last year and my 1st client's contract is coming to an end. Looking at the job market, it doesn't look like a good time to be trying to find work! I saved up some money in case this would happen, but it still feels like a shock. Kind of regretting quitting my full time job last year.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2022, 06:51 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I decided to go independent last year and my 1st client's contract is coming to an end. Looking at the job market, it doesn't look like a good time to be trying to find work! I saved up some money in case this would happen, but it still feels like a shock. Kind of regretting quitting my full time job last year.

Rough time to take a risk and try something so bold, but it took some stones, so I applaud you for that.

I hope you can a side-job, even if part-time, to help you get by until you can find another contract.

Good luck!
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2022, 06:51 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I decided to go independent last year and my 1st client's contract is coming to an end. Looking at the job market, it doesn't look like a good time to be trying to find work! I saved up some money in case this would happen, but it still feels like a shock. Kind of regretting quitting my full time job last year.

Iv quit a job not having another lined up before and by the grace of god i ended up getting a call from an OLD application i submitted more than 7 months earlier so hopefully something extraordinary happens in your situation too.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Yes, several times I've quit without a new job lined up and it all worked out even though there might have been one or two scary patches. I wish you the best of luck, Reuben!
Reply/Quote
Not having the next thing lined up is stressful. Been there and there's an anxiety related to it that makes your stomach churn.

I'm not sure what line of work you're in, but there are actually a LOT of jobs available right now, and a lot of employers willing to be more flexible than in the past. Since Covid, lots of people decided to stop working altogether, and while the match of applications to openings ebbs and flows, there is still a lot of demand for many areas of work.

Best of luck and hope the right thing lands quickly for you!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Good luck
Reply/Quote
I'm retired Military and currently a Civil Servant. I've often been called brave because of what I did in the military. But you guys who go out there in the civilian sector with no job security are braver than I've ever been.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I've been self employed on and off most of my adult life, mostly self employed. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good, but it's a hell of a lot less stressful than working for some schmuck who will fire you on a whim or cheat you out of your earnings..
When I make money I get to keep what I earn rather than give the lions share to someone else. Likewise when things go wrong I have to fix it one way or another. No scapegoating when you're self employed.. I subscribe to the Bachman Turner OD method of self employment. I love to work at nothing all day.  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote