Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamar has already played his last game as a raven
If he plays and does poorly he does nothing to improve his contact negotiation strength. It's not in his interest.

The ravens franchise tag him and trade him to the jets who give him 200 million guaranteed on a 6 year deal.

Yes this thought process is not original but a product of musings expressed by others in the media.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
who would they replace him with? they basically built the team around him
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 11:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: who would they replace him with? they basically built the team around him

They could roll with Huntley and build a team around him. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 02:21 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: They could roll with Huntley and build a team around him. 

True and a lot of Free Agent QBs will be available.  I mean san Frans 3rd stringer is their best System QB it seems lol  Carr needs a new home  Brady on the move. there will be lots of moving parts this offseason at QB around the league.  
Reply/Quote
I doubt anyone is going to pay Lamar 200 million with his suspect durability and below average passing skills. Like it or not he can't fit the ball into tight spaces.

Remember he came on the scene at the same time as Patrick Mahomes (who SHOULD have won MVP not Jackson). It was also a time when RPO was kind of a craze and the Rats restyled their offense around it and his skillset. Well, defenses adjusted but Jackson has not which is why his effectiveness went way down. Meanwhile Andy Reid forced Mahomes to learn how to operate with reasonable effectiveness out of a pocket and it has kept him in the conversation so to speak.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 03:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: I doubt anyone is going to pay Lamar 200 million with his suspect durability and below average passing skills. Like it or not he can't fit the ball into tight spaces.

Remember he came on the scene at the same time as Patrick Mahomes (who SHOULD have won MVP not Jackson). It was also a time when RPO was kind of a craze and the Rats restyled their offense around it and his skillset. Well, defenses adjusted but Jackson has not which is why his effectiveness went way down. Meanwhile Andy Reid forced Mahomes to learn how to operate with reasonable effectiveness out of a pocket and it has kept him in the conversation so to speak.

No, he shouldn't have. Lamar scored 14 more TDs than Mahomes, had a better starting record, and had a better passer rating. He was overall a more dynamic player that season. I get folks not liking Jackson, but Mahomes certainly didn't deserve MVP over him that season. Lamar was a unanimous MVP for a reason.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 10:17 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: True and a lot of Free Agent QBs will be available.  I mean san Frans 3rd stringer is their best System QB it seems lol  Carr needs a new home  Brady on the move. there will be lots of moving parts this offseason at QB around the league.  

^^ This is what I think they should do.

Scrap the whole "build an offense around him" concept. It's absurd and was a dumb move. It wouldn't be too hard to tag and trade him...or just flat out trade him....and use those picks to go after Derek Carr or Garrapolo and possibly move up in the draft and grab one of these rookies coming out. They could easily fix the mistake. 

That being said....here's to hoping the Rats pull a Browns and go 'all in' and give a fully guaranteed $250M contract to an often injured and mediocre QB. 

Cheers
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 11:03 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: ^^ This is what I think they should do.

Scrap the whole "build an offense around him" concept. It's absurd and was a dumb move. It wouldn't be too hard to tag and trade him...or just flat out trade him....and use those picks to go after Derek Carr or Garrapolo and possibly move up in the draft and grab one of these rookies coming out. They could easily fix the mistake. 

That being said....here's to hoping the Rats pull a Browns and go 'all in' and give a fully guaranteed $250M contract to an often injured and mediocre QB. 

Cheers

Exactly and when he goes down, which is often and will be more frequent as time goes on then you have an offense that no one else can run.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 11:06 PM)Stewy Wrote: Exactly and when he goes down, which is often and will be more frequent as time goes on then you have an offense that no one else can run.

Yep.
And this is the problem with QBs with his style. Who knows what's going to happen with his knee? Is he going to lose a step? Maybe operate with a little more hesitancy? Become less elusive? All things that make him the QB he is and determine his value.

If any of that happens, they will have $250M invested in a guy who isn't what he was, and because of the guaranteed money, they'll be stuck with him until his contract ends. 
Reply/Quote
Tebow 2.0
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 11:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: who would they replace him with? they basically built the team around him

Jimmy G is my guess. Being given an elite run game, an elite defense, great TE, and being asked to manage a team to victories? That's Jimmy G's QBing wheelhouse.

Or go with Taylor Heinicke or Gardner Minshew who can certainly win you some games if you're not expecting them to carry the team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Well the AFC North I think just got a little easier. A little mind you. Cleveland will get better but acquiring future assets in the draft and salary cap issues have saddled them. Kenny Picket ain’t gonna be any better than an average NFL QB. That leaves Baltimore w/o Jackson problems offensively, with him an offense that’s vulnerable to him getting injured. It’s still a tough division and the Ravens are solid but they aren’t as strong w/o a difference maker like Lamar. If he resigns he will never make 17 games a year and that’s troublesome
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 11:03 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: ^^ This is what I think they should do.

Cheers

Fingers crossed. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 11:13 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Yep.
And this is the problem with QBs with his style. Who knows what's going to happen with his knee? Is he going to lose a step? Maybe operate with a little more hesitancy? Become less elusive? All things that make him the QB he is and determine his value.

If any of that happens, they will have $250M invested in a guy who isn't what he was, and because of the guaranteed money, they'll be stuck with him until his contract ends. 

They have to tag him to trade him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I think that Huntley was good enough that the Ravens are going to feel even more comfortable with tagging and trading Lamar and that's a shame, I thought they were going to be saddled with a huge contract they'd regret for years.

(Now it looks like Daniel Jones is probably going to be the guy who gets a big contract this offseason he won't live up to and drag down his team.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If the Rats are smart they let Lamar go unless they have a tag and trade partner all lined up, and use the money saved to build an actual offense around Huntley (or if he doesn't pan out a future first round QB pick) and ditch the abnormal offense.
Reply/Quote
Tag is like $40mil or something.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: If the Rats are smart they let Lamar go unless they have a tag and trade partner all lined up, and use the money saved to build an actual offense around Huntley (or if he doesn't pan out a future first round QB pick) and ditch the abnormal offense.

Yes if they aren’t locked in to a huge QB contract, they can add some damn good players to the offense. The D is set. That’s why I’m rooting for them to sign Lamar. Hopefully the Smith contract didn’t hinder tgeir ability to sign him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Lamar didn't want to have his career be RGIII 2.0
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I think they will find a way to pay Lamar but I don’t know why any QB would want to play for Harbaugh.

His back up QB played a solid game vs Cincy last night and he threw him under the bus. Basically said the fumble was Huntley’s fault.
Way to step up and have your players back you doosh.
Reply/Quote