Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Lance McAllisters valid questions
(09-16-2015, 10:34 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I have experienced fan bases in Tampa, Miami, and Cincinnati. Both Tampa and Miami get upset when their team is losing and/or does not seem to be making forward strides.  They are both pretty similar to Cincy fans in many ways.
Question though... does he not understand the history of the Bengals and southwest Ohio?  The 25 years without a single playoff victory, the decade of absolute futility in a league designed for parity, the horrendous stadium deal, or the complete arrogance that Mike Brown has shown towards all of these?  Because if you know even a tiny bit of the history, it is not difficult to understand.

Yeah but you cannot lay those 21 years before dalton arrived on him. at least we get to watch competitive football now.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 09:09 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Just saying that like our fan base, there are many, many different kinds of Steelers fans. It reminds me of our fans and most other teams too.

My one buddy thinks that every player on their practice squad and 3rd string is a "beast" just because he knows their name.

I see a lot of people around here overreact to every Ben incompletion on Sundays. You'd laugh if I named QBs that have had outcries to be starting over Ben by way too many people.

There are the guys that think they're personally the most badass human being alive because they root for a certain football team. Those are the Steelers fans that make me laugh more than anyone else. Also this falls in line with the fans that think they're so cool because they root for a team that won championships before they were even alive.

There are some guys that are really reasonable too about the Steelers and other teams around the league.

It's like any fan base really. There are some idiots, some really great people, and a lot in between.

I've seen this with fans as well. They personify the team they root for and adopt the team's identity (usually as tough, succesful and always wins) as their own. Nothing like a fat 350 pound lard ass who has never played a sport in their life to talk trash and act as if he himself beat you in a game. It is hilarious. I have seen this in many Steeler fans as well but most of these haven't stepped foot in Pittsburgh. I was born and raised in New Jersey and knew a bunch of Steeler fans. All pretty cool people actually, but, I've met many who resemble the person I mentioned earlier. They too though never have been to Pittsburgh (while ironically, I went to school near there).

These fans are the ones that say "We kicked your ass", or "We did this" etc. Who the hell is we? I get that it's easier to say "we" instead of "the Bengals", "the Steelers" etc., but, I firmly believe they feel just as responsible for their teams success as the team itself is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wasn't Ricky Bobby a total moron?

more like a savant.....
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 11:03 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah but you cannot lay those 21 years before dalton arrived on him. at least we get to watch competitive football now.

No one is blaming Dalton for the previous 21 years. I'm really not sure where you're getting that. People have very valid reasons to be upset with him (and the whole team) over the last 4 playoff losses though. They also have valid reasons to expect more than an 0-6 playoff record from the HC and owner.

Would you not agree?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 11:03 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah but you cannot lay those 21 years before dalton arrived on him. at least we get to watch competitive football now.

I'm not laying anything on Dalton.  I was simply explaining why some fans would hold resentment or ill feelings towards the entire organization.  There is a long history between this organization, this family, and the community as a whole.  I personally think it is going to take more than four years of competitive football before all is forgiven and forgotten.  Give it some more time... some playoff success, a Super Bowl appearance (I won't even dare say a victory), will go a long way towards healing old wounds.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 12:30 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I'm not laying anything on Dalton.  I was simply explaining why some fans would hold resentment or ill feelings towards the entire organization.  There is a long history between this organization, this family, and the community as a whole.  I personally think it is going to take more than four years of competitive football before all is forgiven and forgotten.  Give it some more time... some playoff success, a Super Bowl appearance (I won't even dare say a victory), will go a long way towards healing old wounds.

you old folks hold them grudges i love the bengals team now couldnt give 2 shits about the teams from the 90s or 2000s anymore.
Reply/Quote
I personally understand where fans are coming from. Players tend to come up small in big time games. No other owner in the NFL would keep a head coach with a 0 - 6 playoff record, with Losses to TJ Yates Mark Sanchez and Matt Schaub. Time management and stupid coaching decisions have been a constant since Marvin has been here. For example not taking a "free play" when defense jumps offside before the snap. Also we get a 10 point lead in the early 4th Marvin acting like it's the 2 minute warning.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 01:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you old folks hold them grudges i love the bengals team now couldnt give 2 shits about the teams from the 90s or 2000s anymore.

I don't personally hold any grudge from the 90's or early 2000's, but just because I don't personally feel that way doesn't mean I can't understand how someone else does.  And while I may not agree with everything the team does, I do enjoy where they are at today.
Also... don't know how old you are, but I am 40. Not exactly what most would consider an "old folk".
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wasn't Ricky Bobby a total moron?

Yes, like most sports fans.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

There may be a few crackpots who blame Dalton for things he had nothing to do with but most people lay nothing on Dalton that isn't his.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 01:48 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I don't personally hold any grudge from the 90's or early 2000's, but just because I don't personally feel that way doesn't mean I can't understand how someone else does.  And while I may not agree with everything the team does, I do enjoy where they are at today.
Also... don't know how old you are, but I am 40. Not exactly what most would consider an "old folk".

talking about the mindset of living in past failures and not enjoying current successes... And yes the last 4 seasons are successes compared to those past seasons but not more so than each other.

33 soon. I get the bengals havent won a playoff game in 1./4 a century. but current regime has only been at it 4 years. a time frame in which many teams have failed to win a playoff game or even appear in one.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 04:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: talking about the mindset of living in past failures and not enjoying current successes... And yes the last 4 seasons are successes compared to those past seasons but not more so than each other.    

33 soon.   I get the bengals havent won a playoff game in 1./4 a century. but current regime has only been at it 4 years. a time frame in which many teams have failed to win a playoff game or even appear in one.

You don't think the "regime" is made up of Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis?  You really don't see how residents of the area, and fans in general, could have any built up resentment towards this organization?
Reply/Quote
Fans don't trust Mike Brown and for good reason. That's why a lot of fans are so bitter right now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty unemotional about games. Great if they win and boo if they don't.
I'd much rather hear screaming from my gf while having sex than listen to someone go ballistic over a game, but that's me.
If someone wants to pay whatever tickets cost and paint their faces in team colors and go scream till they break every vocal cord while simultaneously freezing with 50000 other people more power to them, but I'd rather sit quietly in the lazyboy, watch on TV where it's comfortable and perhaps even have sex with my gf.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Lance really needs to stop this fan base complaining. First off, the guy doesn't care about the Bengals. It's all about the Reds and UC for him. I live in Seahawks country and guess what? Even with all of the success there are some who are still critical of the team. That's what fan bases do. It's not going to be a 24/7 circle jerk. There are those of us who would actually like to get over the playoff hump and see this team show some improvement.

I know some snarky posters try to make it sound like people who have criticism are miserable in their lives, and that's just comical. Please climb down from your high horse. I love when the Bengals win. Do I get as excited as I used to? No. I still enjoy the win, but until I know that this team can achieve some postseason success, it's hard to really jump up and down.

There's nothing wrong with feeling that way. There's also nothing wrong with supporting the team and turning a blind eye to everything else. The main issue is when someone from the opposing viewpoint tries to tell you that you're wrong for feeling the way you do. Unfortunately, it seems that one side here is more lopsided than the other, but that's how it works.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 04:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: talking about the mindset of living in past failures and not enjoying current successes... And yes the last 4 seasons are successes compared to those past seasons but not more so than each other.    

33 soon.   I get the bengals havent won a playoff game in 1./4 a century. but current regime has only been at it 4 years. a time frame in which many teams have failed to win a playoff game or even appear in one.

Uh what?

Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis and most of the coaching staff has been around for much longer than 4 years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 04:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: but current regime has only been at it 4 years. a time frame in which many teams have failed to win a playoff game or even appear in one.

Mike Brown, Pete Brown, Katie Blackburn, and Troy Blackburn, which make the entirely of the teams administration department, have all been here over 20 years. 

Random staff names like Eric Ball, Bob Beddinghuas, and Jack Brennan have decade + long tenures with the team.  Even the beat writer, Geoff Hobson, has been covering the team for over 20 years.  Dave Lapham, the team's color analyst, was drafted by the team over 40 years ago, and has been broadcasting games for almost another 30.

Our current director of player personnel, Duke Tobin, has been employed here for 16 years.  Both his father and John Cooper, who are scouts, have been here well over a decade.  Greg Seamon, another scout, has been here for 13 years.

Let's look at the coaching staff:

Marvin Lewis - Head Coach - 13 years.
Paul Alexander - OL Coach/Asst Head Coach -22 years.
Jay Hayes - DL Coach - 13 years
Jon Hayes - TE Coach - 13 years
Paul Gunther - DC - 11 years with team
Hue Jackson - OC  - 7th year with team, started here in 2004
Chip Morton - Strength Coach - 13 years
Darrin Simmons - ST - 13 years
Ken Zampese - QB Coach - 13 years

So the Owner, the GM, the President, the Senior VP, the Executive VP, the Business Manager, the Director of Business Developement, the Managing Director, the head of Public Relations, the Director of Player Personnel, the director of Player Relations, the Head Coach, the Assistant Head Coach, and a whole slew of assistants coaches and scouts have been here over a decade.  Got all that?

And that's just the names I know of when looking down the staff directory.  Who knows how long some of the ticket department and security have been here.  The average tenure of employee, outside of players, of this team is probably near or over 20 years.

From the top down you have long, rooted tenures upstatirs.  The entire front office to be specific.  The Head coach and much of his staff are approaching 15 years.  How exactly has the "current regime" been here only four years?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 06:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Uh what?

Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis and most of the coaching staff has been around for much longer than 4 years.

Reboot 8.0. Confused
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 07:15 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Reboot 8.0. Confused

Next time my wife gets mad over something, I'm going to do a reboot. 

Apparently it erases all history.  Rolleyes

Wife- "Deric, why didn't you (insert random complaint)"
Me- "Well honey, that was before I did the reboot, remember?"
Wife- "Oh okay, no worries then"
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 09:09 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Just saying that like our fan base, there are many, many different kinds of Steelers fans. It reminds me of our fans and most other teams too.

My one buddy thinks that every player on their practice squad and 3rd string is a "beast" just because he knows their name.

I see a lot of people around here overreact to every Ben incompletion on Sundays. You'd laugh if I named QBs that have had outcries to be starting over Ben by way too many people.

There are the guys that think they're personally the most badass human being alive because they root for a certain football team. Those are the Steelers fans that make me laugh more than anyone else. Also this falls in line with the fans that think they're so cool because they root for a team that won championships before they were even alive.

There are some guys that are really reasonable too about the Steelers and other teams around the league.

It's like any fan base really. There are some idiots, some really great people, and a lot in between.

I know lots of the exact types you speak of and i live in, of all places...

Star Valley Frickin' Wyoming where we have nobody here in terms of population compared to other places.

Biggest bandwagon following of all time the Steelers have. If i go to any Sports place around here there are
Steeler jerseys and paraphenelia everywhere. Never seen a Bengal jersey anywhere, but maybe that will change
when we win the Superbowl, who knows.

To the OP, i agree with McC, i honestly don't like how these bastids try to place everyone into one category.

We have went through more shit than any other fan of any other team though IMHO.

Hopefully the Playoff bug is off our back this year or even better, the Lombardi trophy is in our hands.
Reply/Quote