Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Lands, a Democrat who ran on reproductive rights, flips seat in Alabama House
Quite the result in Alabama, yesterday.

Quote:Marilyn Lands, who campaigned on abortion rights in deeply conservative Alabama, won a special election to the Alabama Legislature, in a victory that Democrats say illustrates voter backlash to extreme reproductive restrictions imposed by Republicans.

Lands, a Democrat, on Tuesday decisively defeated Republican Teddy Powell to win the open House of Representatives seat in a suburban district that — while increasingly politically moderate — had long been held by the GOP. Her victory was celebrated by Democrats who said it underscores the importance of reproductive rights as an issue across the country ahead of the 2024 elections.

“Voters want something different, and I think they are tired of women’s freedoms and reproductive health care not being addressed,” Lands told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Alabama bans abortion at all stages of pregnancy with no exception for pregnancies arising from rape. Lands’ victory comes several weeks after in vitro fertilization services were temporarily paused in the state after the Alabama Supreme Court issued a ruling equating frozen embryos to children.

Lands, a licensed mental health counselor, had also campaigned on education and economic development issues, but took square aim at the state’s abortion ban, at times invoking the deeply personal to do so. She shared her story of obtaining an abortion two decades ago after genetic testing determined the baby had trisomy 13, a genetic disorder, and could not survive.

More at the link.

I have to say, this is going to be interesting for the fall. With several high profile members of the GOP floating national abortion restrictions/bans, this issue could really be a huge part of the election. That, combined with a continuing loss of support for Israel's actions in Gaza, will be important to watch.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 10:05 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Quite the result in Alabama, yesterday.

More at the link.

I have to say, this is going to be interesting for the fall. With several high profile members of the GOP floating national abortion restrictions/bans, this issue could really be a huge part of the election. That, combined with a continuing loss of support for Israel's actions in Gaza, will be important to watch.

Saw an interview with her and she said the interesting thing at the polls was the increased number of women she saw.  I don't know what the final numbers were, but if women come out in large numbers against the gop over this issue it could be a disaster for them.  But it's still a long way until November.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 11:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: Saw an interview with her and she said the interesting thing at the polls was the increased number of women she saw.  I don't know what the final numbers were, but if women come out in large numbers against the gop over this issue it could be a disaster for them.  But it's still a long way until November.

This is one of the reasons, I am distrustful of the polls saying women are now going to Trump.

It doesn't match the reality of every election since 2020.

Women don't trust the GOP who are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Grats one win, many more to go if they want to do anything about it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 11:07 AM)pally Wrote: This is one of the reasons, I am distrustful of the polls saying women are now going to Trump.

It doesn't match the reality of every election since 2020.

Women don't trust the GOP who are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

We will see what happens, but I fully expect all these states that vote 15+ points to protect abortion will still vote to elect politicians who run on making such things illegal on a state or federal level.  While this was an actual political race, I'm skeptical it'll carry over on a larger level but it might.

Ohio being an example where the constitutional right to an abortion won by 13.6 points while Donald "I was able to kill Roe v Wade" Trump will win the state by 8+ points.  Stuff like this just makes me think the GOP is taking notes and realizing that a federal ban is the only way to make sure they get what they want.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote