Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lap’s podcast
(04-20-2019, 09:03 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Well, DE is a big glaring hole on our defense. Lawson will need this year to recover from ACL.

In my opinion, it is the most critical need.

So, Gary or Sweat.
Players come back from ACLs injuries all the time and play just as.well as they ever have. 
Von Miller tore his ACL in 2013 and the next season he had 14 sacks and 16 TFLs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I would be pretty surprised if we drafted a DE the first or a DT.
1.) The Bengals haven't drafted an edge player in the first since 2005
2.) It's not a need getting in front of Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson would be a tough ask for a rookie.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If ypou listen to Zac's presser, he says that character is huge for him and this staff. That probably rules out Sweat. If we don't take one of the Devins at 11, I'd trade down a bit and take Christian Wilkins, the DT from Clemson. Super smart. Great person. Non-stop heart on the field. Trading back would probably allow us to shoot for Risner (OT) and Mack (LB) in round 2. Wilkins and those two would be a good haul in Rounds 1 & 2.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 03:30 AM)Shady Wrote: If ypou listen to Zac's presser, he says that character is huge for him and this staff. That probably rules out Sweat. If we don't take one of the Devins at 11, I'd trade down a bit and take Christian Wilkins, the DT from Clemson. Super smart. Great person. Non-stop heart on the field. Trading back would probably allow us to shoot for Risner (OT) and Mack (LB) in round 2. Wilkins and those two would be a good haul in Rounds 1 & 2.

I would love for that to happen.  Wilkins, Risner &  Wilson.     
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 11:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Per the NFL Network Sweat has a heart condition which was detected at the combine and he's no longer on some team's draft boards at all.

Of course, this will make Mike Brown think he's getting a bargain and he'll be all in on the pick.

Yep, it will likely cause him fall and be the top rated person on our board. From what I have read it is not really anything to worry about as bad as it sounds. We have a needed a really good 3 down defensive end on that side for over a decade. It’s funny but virtually every playoff team will have a really good right end.

It comes down to BPA and need. He is only slightly above Bush and White. I won’t complain either way.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals ranked 28th with only 34 sacks last year. I think edge rusher is just as big a need as LB and OT and would love Sweat.
Reply/Quote
If Sweat is falling due to the heart condition I wounder if its possible to trade back and still get him. I think this would be this would be ideal.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 10:21 AM)showstoppa Wrote: The Bengals ranked 28th with only 34 sacks last year. I think edge rusher is just as big a need as LB and OT and would love Sweat.

You have Lawson coming back, though it may take him half a season to get back to form. While he didn’t have big sack numbers he was top 5 in the league in pressures before he got hurt. You also have Hubbard a year older who was really rounding into form towards the end of the year.

While we may have been 28th in sacks we were one of the worst linebacking units EVER in coverage and yards allowed. LB is the single biggest need and then we can pass rush and tackle. I’d be open to a guy like Ferguson from Louisiana Tech on day 2 for sure though.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 05:45 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: According to our new head coach,they are going after BPA TO make the team better,he said they were targeting players that immediately make the team BETTER.So the first pick will depend greatly on what happens Number 1 through 10 and that my friends will determine the pick at 11.And whoever they pick the man will start day one. Now I just want to see how long the moderaters leave my message on here as I can come back to this in a few minutes and they have already wiped me off.I just do not understand why as I would like an answer from them. :andy:

It will be a statement pick from Taylor no question.

Honestly i am hoping it is an O-line statement and he picks another Taylor...

(04-20-2019, 09:03 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Well, DE is a big glaring hole on our defense. Lawson will need this year to recover from ACL.

So, Gary or Sweat.

I like Ferrell better than Gary honestly. Gary is just way too inconsistent.

Also think Hubbard should get much better this year with more snaps. We have some decent Ends.

The O-line is critical IMO
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 03:30 AM)Shady Wrote: If ypou listen to Zac's presser, he says that character is huge for him and this staff. That probably rules out Sweat. If we don't take one of the Devins at 11, I'd trade down a bit and take Christian Wilkins, the DT from Clemson. Super smart. Great person. Non-stop heart on the field. Trading back would probably allow us to shoot for Risner (OT) and Mack (LB) in round 2. Wilkins and those two would be a good haul in Rounds 1 & 2.

Yeah baby, that is what i am talkin about Shady.

(04-21-2019, 06:48 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would love for that to happen.  Wilkins, Risner &  Wilson.     

Same here brother, i would be ecstatic with that haul and would be celebrating big time.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 10:21 AM)showstoppa Wrote: The Bengals ranked 28th with only 34 sacks last year. I think edge rusher is just as big a need as LB and OT and would love Sweat.

To me the problem isn't with our pass rushers.  It's difficult to get home when all the QB needs to do is dump it off to a wide open TE or RB.  a good linebacker group will improve our sack stats immensely.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 09:10 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Well, DE is a big glaring hole on our defense. Lawson will need this year to recover from ACL.

With all due respect, that is not even close to true.  It wasn't the DE's who sank the whole season last year.  The LB position did that almost single handedly.  It's been an issue for years and it keeps not getting fixed.

If one of the Devins is available at 11 and is not taken, it will be a travesty unless Allen, Bosa or Q. Williams somehow falls.  If the LB position isn't fixed, throw away another season because our LB situation is beyond scheming around.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 03:36 PM)fullonbehavior Wrote: To me the problem isn't with our pass rushers.  It's difficult to get home when all the QB needs to do is dump it off to a wide open TE or RB.  a good linebacker group will improve our sack stats immensely.

Spot on.

(04-21-2019, 03:46 PM)McC Wrote: With all due respect, that is not even close to true.  It wasn't the DE's who sank the whole season last year.  The LB position did that almost single handedly.  It's been an issue for years and it keeps not getting fixed.

If one of the Devins is available at 11 and is not taken, it will be a travesty unless Allen, Bosa or Q. Williams somehow falls.  If the LB position isn't fixed, throw away another season because our LB situation is beyond scheming around.

True, the LB situation HAS to be addressed, same as OT. I do think the Devins are getting overhyped though. Neither are the best tacklers in this Draft at LB and i truly believe what we need is some good tackling Linebackers with good instincts for Tem to work with. Tem has a very good resume, i bet he is a much better coach than Haslett and he will coach these guys into making sure they are in the right position to shut down those dump offs.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 03:46 PM)McC Wrote:   If the LB position isn't fixed, throw away another season because our LB situation is beyond scheming around.

Yes and no. We might have some quality already at the LB position that's been untested or at least badly coached. Jefferson was a good pick but injured in game 10 in 2018. Then you have Vigil who has steadily showed improvement at the position each year. He looked decent last year IMO before getting hurt. Then you have Jordan Evans who was a rookie and also got hurt, but his numbers were somewhat respectable transitioning to the NFL in his first year. So lets go on with Preston Brown who busted his knee in week 7. He wasn't stellar by any means while learning the new playbook, but was as good as expected in a transition year.

So, although I agree with you that we need LB help, I'm not hanging my hat that the season is gone if we don't address it heavily. I think it will come down to coaching and the gameplan. We will see a more disciplined team in 2019. It's my expectation that with the new strength and conditioning coaches, we will have less injuries. JMO.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I doubt if your right. I think they will address it tho.  Cool

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 04:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes and no. We might have some quality already at the LB position that's been untested or at least badly coached. Jefferson was a good pick but injured in game 10 in 2018. Then you have Vigil who has steadily showed improvement at the position each year. He looked decent last year IMO before getting hurt. Then you have Jordan Evans who was a rookie and also got hurt, but his numbers were somewhat respectable transitioning to the NFL in his first year. So lets go on with Preston Brown who busted his knee in week 7. He wasn't stellar by any means while learning the new playbook, but was as good as expected in a transition year.

So, although I agree with you that we need LB help, I'm not hanging my hat that the season is gone if we don't address it heavily. I think it will come down to coaching and the gameplan. We will see a more disciplined team in 2019. It's my expectation that with the new strength and conditioning coaches, we will have less injuries. JMO.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I doubt if your right. I think they will address it tho.  Cool

Then you were clearly not paying attention last year.

Evans was not a rookie last year.  He just played like one.  And Vigil, if he improves, might work his way all the way up to mediocre.  Jefferson?  He couldn't beat out Nickerson and that says it all.

In a nutshell, our LB's SUKKKKK.   But hey, let's draft a DE or TE.  That'll fix it.  And then we can have this same conversation again a year from now.

WTF...

I cannot believe people have forgotten last year already.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

That would be a great draft. 
Reply/Quote
Carl Lawson is only on the field on 3rd downs he is not a starting defensive end.

If you get a chance at a defensive linemen that can ruin offensive game plans you jump on it. Teams win in the trenches.

Let me put it this way would you take Devin White or Nick Bosa...the answer is obvious.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 08:01 PM)Synric Wrote: Let me put it this way would you take Devin White or Nick Bosa...the answer is obvious.

Sweat isn’t Bosa....not even in the same league. This conversation changes if it’s Bosa, or even Quinnen Williams. If we were talking about a sure fire star I think more people would agree, but what is being discussed is a guy with plenty of red flags.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 07:10 PM)McC Wrote: Then you were clearly not paying attention last year.

Evans was not a rookie last year.  He just played like one.  And Vigil, if he improves, might work his way all the way up to mediocre.  Jefferson?  He couldn't beat out Nickerson and that says it all.

In a nutshell, our LB's SUKKKKK.   But hey, let's draft a DE or TE.  That'll fix it.  And then we can have this same conversation again a year from now.

WTF...

I cannot believe people have forgotten last year already.

Your correct. Evans was drafted in 2017. As for the rest, my viewpoint remains the same. I didn’t say we didn’t need to address, just pointed out I disagree it would be the end of the season if we failed to do so.

Reply/Quote
I think we need a DT more than a DE. I'd rather have a guy like Wilkins or Gary than Sweat. After Geno, there isn't much at DT. Billings improved, but there's nothing behind either starter, and Glasgow is coming off of a fairly serious injury.
Reply/Quote