Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lap on Taylor
Ran into Lap at the gym today. After I kicked his ass on the bench press (yeah, right) I asked him his thoughts on Zac Taylor. His response: "We'll see. He's young." I suggested that hiring experienced assistants, especially coordinators, was important, and he agreed. He thinks that Pollack is a great line coach and hopes he will be retained. I mentioned Simmons and Lap did not disagree.

I thanked him for being honest with us and giving us info we can trust. Really a good guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 02:42 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Ran into Lap at the gym today.  After I kicked his ass on the bench press (yeah, right) I asked him his thoughts on Zac Taylor.  His response:  "We'll see.  He's young."  I suggested that hiring experienced assistants, especially coordinators, was important, and he agreed.  He thinks that Pollack is a great line coach and hopes he will be retained.  I mentioned Simmons and Lap did not disagree.

I thanked him for being honest with us and giving us info we can trust.  Really a good guy.

He didn't exactly seem all in on the choice.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Yeah not really a bode of confidence.

But in all fairness he was really pushing for Mike Munchak because “it’s similar to what they did in the 80’s”. In my opinion that way of thinking worked in the past but not anymore. The NFL is different now and I think it’s pretty telling that nobody else want Munchak as a head coach either.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 02:44 PM)McC Wrote: He didn't exactly seem all in on the choice.

While I'm happy the new changes coming, we are taking a risk with Taylor. He is not as experienced and while coming from a successful franchise and coach, not all assistant coaches have the gut to get a team through when SHTF and things don't go smooth. I would have preferred a coach that goes into a dysfunctional team, single handedly makes changes in personnel (players) and coaches, and turns the ship around. That shows that the coach can evaluate AND coach and keep a team winning. Hopefully Taylor is that person.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 02:48 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Yeah not really a bode of confidence.

But in all fairness he was really pushing for Mike Munchak because “it’s similar to what they did in the 80’s”. In my opinion that way of thinking worked in the past but not anymore. The NFL is different now and I think it’s pretty telling that nobody else want Munchak as a head coach either.

In watching the playoffs this weekend I am convinced that no one is going to whip the Pats.No one.The teams showed without a top 3-4 defense,you are not going to advance  to anything and the pats are solid everywhere.Brady will get another ring and the beat goes on.The only team that could possibly stay with them would be the Rams and they would have to have a ton of lucky breaks.The pats coach and tom brady know how to beat you better than anyone and its killing me to say that.For our team to even be considered a playoff team,they are light years away from having the right players.Our d is awlful and will take 2-3 years to contend.Its going to be interesting. ThumbsUp :andy: Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 02:59 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: While I'm happy the new changes coming, we are taking a risk with Taylor. He is not as experienced and while coming from a successful franchise and coach, not all assistant coaches have the gut to get a team through when SHTF and things don't go smooth. I would have preferred a coach that goes into a dysfunctional team, single handedly makes changes in personnel (players) and coaches, and turns the ship around. That shows that the coach can evaluate AND coach and keep a team winning. Hopefully Taylor is that person.

Taylor will either succeed or he won't. The new look front office isn't going to be as comfortable with losing as the Mike Brown front office was. So if Taylor fails, expect his rein to end much quicker than Merv's did.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 02:42 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Ran into Lap at the gym today.  After I kicked his ass on the bench press (yeah, right) I asked him his thoughts on Zac Taylor.  His response:  "We'll see.  He's young."  I suggested that hiring experienced assistants, especially coordinators, was important, and he agreed.  He thinks that Pollack is a great line coach and hopes he will be retained.  I mentioned Simmons and Lap did not disagree.

I thanked him for being honest with us and giving us info we can trust.  Really a good guy.

Lap is a good guy, I have had the pleasure over the years to play golf with him and meet him at events.

As for Taylor, we will see if he was the right choice. I hope he is, but then I think of coaches like Dave Shula who was young, had a great HC pedigree

In four and a half seasons as head coach of the Bengals, Dave Shula went 19-52 and became known as a failure who managed to get a head-coaching job only because his father is Don Shula

Man, I hope I am wrong. He was a very nice guy, but a very bad HC.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

I don't think anybody on the outside is.  We don't know enough.  But Bengals ownership apparently is all in.  And that gives me hope. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 03:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Lap is a good guy, I have had the pleasure over the years to play golf with him and meet him at events.

As for Taylor, we will see if he was the right choice. I hope he is, but then I think of coaches like Dave Shula who was young, had a great HC pedigree

In four and a half seasons as head coach of the Bengals, Dave Shula went 19-52 and became known as a failure who managed to get a head-coaching job only because his father is Don Shula

I mentioned the nagging feeling of being reminded of Dave Shula with the youthful hire who is leaping from a position coach to a HC overnight in another thread.  With that being said, did Dave Shula really have a great HC pedigree?  I can't imagine anyone was too surprised the guy was just a one gig HC, but I don't recall the times.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 03:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I mentioned the nagging feeling of being reminded of Dave Shula with the youthful hire who is leaping from a position coach to a HC overnight in another thread.  With that being said, did Dave Shula really have a great HC pedigree?  I can't imagine anyone was too surprised the guy was just a one gig HC, but I don't recall the times.

He was well respected and Bengals fans were stoked. I was still a Browns fan back then.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 03:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Lap is a good guy, I have had the pleasure over the years to play golf with him and meet him at events.

People argued Kyle Shanahan was Dave Shula once upon a time....That has worked out decently for the 49'ers although their QB being hurt hasn't helped.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 03:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: :andy:
People argued Kyle Shanahan was Dave Shula once upon a time....That has worked out decently for the 49'ers although their QB being hurt hasn't helped.

I am not saying Taylor is next Dave Shula, God I hope he is next McVay.

We all do these comparisons good and bad with HC's and players. The good, bad and the ugly. Shula turned ugly quickly.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 03:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I mentioned the nagging feeling of being reminded of Dave Shula with the youthful hire who is leaping from a position coach to a HC overnight in another thread.  With that being said, did Dave Shula really have a great HC pedigree?  I can't imagine anyone was too surprised the guy was just a one gig HC, but I don't recall the times.
Dave Shula's pre-Bengals coaching experience was not that dissimilar to Taylor's:

Hiring an unproven coach is a crap shoot.  But I don't mind that we are taking a chance.  Aren't we all tired of same ole same ole?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 03:02 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor will either succeed or he won't. The new look front office isn't going to be as comfortable with losing as the Mike Brown front office was. So if Taylor fails, expect his rein to end much quicker than Merv's did.

I seriously believe our Bengals are already picking staff per Zac Taylors orders,Katie,Troy and mike are not going to allow the guys they want to go elsewhere.We could have the youngest staff and players in football.I think our team is going to be much improved in 2019 and with the most players that were starters in IR,its going to be fun to watch this team kick some butt when most of the league thinks we are no good,when no team could have won with all the injuries we had,NO ONE,SO lets go-------------WHO-DEY ALL DAY.I predict we will play extremely hard and barring the bad word--injury,I say we win all games at home. ThumbsUp :andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 03:26 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Dave Shula's pre-Bengals coaching experience was not that dissimilar to Taylor's:

Hiring an unproven coach is a crap shoot.  But I don't mind that we are taking a chance.  Aren't we all tired of same ole same ole?

I don't mind that we are taking a chance.  Hell, I don't care if he is the next Dave Shula, the important this is that we...ehh, I can't finish that sentence.  Yeah, I'm glad we are taking a chance.  We just parted ways with a long-term bore and now it's time to foolishly chase some youth.   This reminds me of the times following my 2nd divorce, actually.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 03:26 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Dave Shula's pre-Bengals coaching experience was not that dissimilar to Taylor's:

One thing to remember is because of the quick yank coaches are getting left and right the last couple years there just aren't a ton of young up and coming OC's. Lots of them are retreads or guys who similar to Taylor just got into their role but have good football minds. In the 90's that was unheard of but today it's kind of becoming common practice. Heck Kitchens did half a year in Cleveland as the OC (After being HB coach) and got the HC job. He had never been a OC before that and had half a year of calling plays under his belt at any level. In fact the majority of his experience has been as a RB's coach with only a brief stint at QB coach.
Reply/Quote
I'm not too worried about Zac. Yeah he's young (younger than me...which makes me feel old), but Dave Shula was a special case. Does anyone think Taylor won't know how to use a headset? Even if he's somehow as bad as Shula, at least that means we won't stick by him for 16 years. Shula only lasted 4.5 years before he was (gasp!) fired. Mid-season, at that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 02:59 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: While I'm happy the new changes coming, we are taking a risk with Taylor. He is not as experienced and while coming from a successful franchise and coach, not all assistant coaches have the gut to get a team through when SHTF and things don't go smooth. I would have preferred a coach that goes into a dysfunctional team, single handedly makes changes in personnel (players) and coaches, and turns the ship around. That shows that the coach can evaluate AND coach and keep a team winning. Hopefully Taylor is that person.

I think Taylor is the Highest Risk/Highest Reward of all the candidates.

Some of the pundits kind of laugh at us when they say that anyone who ever had coffee with McVay is getting a HC interview.

But, we know what we had with Marvin. May as well swing for the fences.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 03:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Taylor is the Highest Risk/Highest Reward of all the candidates.

Some of the pundits kind of laugh at us when they say that anyone who ever had coffee with McVay is getting a HC interview.

But, we know what we had with Marvin. May as well swing for the fences.

That whole joke started during the hiring cycle, but there were people talking Zac Taylor before that whole narrative started. On October 29th Betonline.com had Taylor the odds on favorite to be the next Browns head coach. On November 13th Ben Allbright tweeted to keep an eye on the names Zac and Press Taylor as potential head coaching candidates. Jason La Canfora wrote an article on December 2nd saying he was the next hot name to be sought after to be a head coach.

All of this happened before everyone and there brother was getting hired because of McVay connections. Don't let people fool you is the piece of that McVay tree you wanted even before the hype grew the last month or so. 
Reply/Quote

He was around during the last young gun hire....Dave Shula....and he probably is cautious because young doesn't necessarily mean innovative.  I really hope they nail the OC and DC positions, but I am glad Simmons and Pollack were retained.  
Reply/Quote