Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lap on Taylor
(01-15-2019, 02:45 PM)3wt Wrote: Don't even say that Wyche.   I love that guy.   I'd hire him in a New York minute - in whatever capacity he wanted.

The guy had more bandwidth than any other mind in football at the time except Walsh.

It's really too much to ask I know, but that's what I hope Taylor has.   That's what's been missing.  I mean there was a lot to like with Marvin Lewis and his era here.

But the guy that's going to take us to the next level has got to not only be professional, he has to be a big picture guy who can handle or delegate the details.

I have felt that the Bengals had a fair amount of professionalism - old school style.  But I don't think they had someone who had a superior vision:
  • How to utilize the players we have
  • How to get the missing pieces
  • How to turn the strengths of opponents on their heads
  • How not to be too predictable
  • How to adjust on the fly
  • How to give your players confidence that they (coaching and players) are just better than everybody else.
  • How to not miss the little things that have big consequences
I feel like the great coaches have those things - plus the old school toughness that trickles down to the players.   That's what I think of when I think of Belichick, Reid, Carroll, Payton, etc.   That's what I think I see in Reich.  

We're not likely to get the whole package.   I want, at least the superior vision.

But I say, "Is it too much to ask for both?"

You're spot on...but the sad thing is in many organizations, some of your bullet points aren't on the coaches to do and they focus mainly on gameplanning and...coaching.

Here they have to be the scouts, coaches, general managers, etc. It's a big ask.

Aside from getting extremely lucky in back-to-back drafts, I don't really know that the system in place can succeed long-term.
Reply/Quote
The teams in our division have basically 2-3 times the scouts as us. That seems like a big advantage for their coaches to have in that it frees them up to gameplan and coach players.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 04:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we have some of the same type of players at skill positions. But, their offensive line is a Top 5 line and ours is a Bottom 5 line. That's huge.

The Rams personnel is better at every position on offense except at WR with AJ Green. That's a pretty sobering fact.

But, if you put Mixon on the Rams, I think he'd have near the success of Gurley.

Yeah, cannot forget Mixon. Boyd ain't no punk either.
Reply/Quote
But what about the tuna on rye?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 04:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The teams in our division have basically 2-3 times the scouts as us. That seems like a big advantage for their coaches to have in that it frees them up to gameplan and coach players.

I don't think they're going out on Saturdays and scouting during the season.  The scouting takes place in the off season, college all star games, the combine, pro days, etc.

I seriously doubt they have to put down the game plan and go watch an SEC game in person.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 04:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The teams in our division have basically 2-3 times the scouts as us. That seems like a big advantage for their coaches to have in that it frees them up to gameplan and coach players.

The size of scouting departments is really moot anymore. With the evolution of technology and the rise of independent scouting agencies it's more about how the personnel department and coaches evaluate each player.

In the 1990s it was an issue...2019 not so much.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 06:30 PM)McC Wrote: I don't think they're going out on Saturdays and scouting during the season.  The scouting takes place in the off season, college all star games, the combine, pro days, etc.

I seriously doubt they have to put down the game plan and go watch an SEC game in person.

(01-15-2019, 06:36 PM)Synric Wrote: The size of scouting departments is really moot anymore. With the evolution of technology and the rise of independent scouting agencies it's more about how the personnel department and coaches evaluate each player.

What these guys said.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 06:36 PM)Synric Wrote: The size of scouting departments is really moot anymore. With the evolution of technology and the rise of independent scouting agencies it's more about how the personnel department and coaches evaluate each player.

I was getting ready to type the same thing. With the use of the professional scouting companies, there really is no reason to have a lot of scouts. You can pay for the reports and see the same things. And if there's someone you want to take a second or longer look at, then send your scout. But having massive scouting depts. is no longer necessary.
Reply/Quote

based on recent drafts it hasn't helped them much....
Reply/Quote