Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lap on Taylor
(01-14-2019, 03:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  We just parted ways with a long-term bore and now it's time to foolishly chase some youth.   This reminds me of the times following my 2nd divorce, actually.

I know right? Except, once you take the ring off, the women seem less challenged and less interested. Anyway, I read somewhere (can't remember where, and, was probably drunk, so take it for what it's worth) that both Zack and his brother are very football intelligent. That quality alone is worth the change. How long did Marvin look clueless? Couldn't manage the clock, didnt call timeouts when he should have, played safe going into the half and the list goes on. Football intelligence is something that has been lacking 16yrs. Probably why we could never got over the playoff hump. Well, add lack of discipline, poor play calling, poor execution and poor all the above to the list.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is a very demanding job because of how much coaches are relied on to draft here. Theoretically you could get a great coach who can't draft and have him fail. Or you could get a great drafter who can't coach.

Either way, there will be a lot of time demands to get things figured out here.

I think a younger guy has a better shot than a 60 year old 1st time coach though in a lot of ways.
Reply/Quote
I hate to bring it up, but until the next HC is officially named we still don't know who it'll be. A lot points to Taylor, but nothing has been 100% confirmed. For all we know Shula will be brought back out of his steak house and given another chance..  God forbid..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 06:10 PM)grampahol Wrote: I hate to bring it up, but until the next HC is officially named we still don't know who it'll be. A lot points to Taylor, but nothing has been 100% confirmed. For all we know Shula will be brought back out of his steak house and given another chance..  God forbid..

I don't know.  They might be looking for someone to run the food service.  He would kill in that job.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 06:18 PM)McC Wrote: I don't know.  They might be looking for someone to run the food service.  He would kill in that job.

Shula actually got hired to coach at Dartmouth.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 06:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Shula actually got hired to coach at Dartmouth.

Did not know that.  Good for him.   I've never wished him ill.  Always wonder if things would have been any different had he won the father son game.  He just looked too much like a little kid.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 02:44 PM)McC Wrote: He didn't exactly seem all in on the choice.

(01-14-2019, 02:48 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Yeah not really a bode of confidence.

How much genuine opine does one think that they will get from "The Voice of the Bengals" in a casual run-in at the gym?  Lapham makes his living broadcasting for the team, he's not going to divulge anything significant, due to the possibility of it being repeated and attributed to him.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 07:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How much genuine opine does one think that they will get from "The Voice of the Bengals" in a casual run-in at the gym?  Lapham makes his living broadcasting for the team, he's not going to divulge anything significant, due to the possibility of it being repeated and attributed to him.  

I don’t know, Lap is pretty excitable when it comes to the Bengals. I guess it just seems like if he was excited about Taylor being coach he would have given more than “he’s young, we’ll see “. Seems like it was meant negatively. But the again I wasn’t there, he may have meant it in a positive way. Who knows.

Then again, maybe he knows it isn’t even Taylor we are after and he’s being tight lipped and vague about it. Doubtful, but again who knows?

Honestly I don’t care about his opinion on this all that much. He, just like everyone else, has no idea how good or bad Taylor will be. I’m going to be excited about it no matter what his opinion may be.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 06:43 PM)McC Wrote: Did not know that.  Good for him.   I've never wished him ill.  Always wonder if things would have been any different had he won the father son game.  He just looked too much like a little kid.

Remember being at that father/son game.  The old man took it easy on him, if memory serves. We only lost by 10 or something, it could have been much worse.  Anyway, yeah he seemed like a decent enough guy, just way in over his head.  If we were to grade on the Mike Brown curve, though, maybe he wasn't that bad.  I bet with a real front office supporting him, he might have been a mediocre HC instead of a horrible one.  Hell, Coslet might have been a decent coach in that scenario.

Or maybe not  Smirk
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 07:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How much genuine opine does one think that they will get from "The Voice of the Bengals" in a casual run-in at the gym?  Lapham makes his living broadcasting for the team, he's not going to divulge anything significant, due to the possibility of it being repeated and attributed to him.  

You're going to get generic responses 99.975 X out of 100 in these encounters. Unless you catch em drunk at the bar.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 09:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You're going to get generic responses 99.975 X out of 100 in these encounters. Unless you catch em drunk at the bar.

Bengals fans,it is going to be Zac Taylor,believe this.And he will be 10 times better than what we have had to endure.He is going to make us a force.You will see. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 09:48 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Bengals fans,it is going to be Zac Taylor,believe this.And he will be 10 times better than what we have had to endure.He is going to make us a force.You will see. ThumbsUp

He's going to win 70 games next season?!?!?!

I'm excited to see that!
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 11:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's going to win 70 games next season?!?!?!

I'm excited to see that!

I don’t think my wife is going to be ok with that many blocked off sundays.

Reply/Quote
I like Lap, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he's bummed that his guy didn't get any looks from the Bengals. He was on the Mike Munchak bandwagon.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
You ever stop to think Lap just doesn't know very much about the guy and doesn't want to say anything before he researches him. I mean, it's not like he's well known.... never been an NFL coordinator, he's pretty much an unknown..... which is exactly what Lap meant when he said "he's young"
Reply/Quote
Nobody knows a ton about this guy besides perhaps the Rams. It is a risk but it is a risk I'm willing to take at this point. As Goodberry said with the way this team is run we need to hit the jackpot on either the head coach and/or the QB. Now at least we have a lottery ticket.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 09:28 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Nobody knows a ton about this guy besides perhaps the Rams.  It is a risk but it is a risk I'm willing to take at this point.  As Goodberry said with the way this team is run we need to hit the jackpot on either the head coach and/or the QB.  Now at least we have a lottery ticket.

Exactly, sink or swim, it's going to be exciting..... Rock On
Reply/Quote
Lap is a good guy for having this conversation with you. One of my friends crossed paths with Hue Jackson going into lifetime fitness, they were on an unavoidable collision course for the front entrance. It was a few years ago and it was a very meaningful Steeler week game. My friend said "good luck this week coach" and Hue looked at him and shook his head no as if to say don't talk to me. Real jerk move. Wasn't like my friend was offering gameplan suggestions.
Reply/Quote
I have zero use for arrogance. Hearing that, glad the Browns showed him up.
Taylor sounds good to me. Im trying to temper my excitement until things are official. Glad the Brain trust did an extensive search. One thing i am excited about, the new HC is NOT INTERNAL!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 09:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You ever stop to think Lap just doesn't know very much about the guy and doesn't want to say anything before he researches him. I mean, it's not like he's well known.... never been an NFL coordinator, he's pretty much an unknown..... which is exactly what Lap meant when he said "he's young"

That's probably a lot of it. He's a young guy. He's a QB Coach and will be making a HUGE jump to HC. And not Head Coach on an organization with a strong GM and player development system.

As an OC at U of Cincy, he wasn't great.

There are definitely some signs that point to him being a product of the Rams talent level.

BUT, I'd rather swing for the fences and see what happens.

IF this guy were going to be the Patriots Coach with a team that has a solid system in place, then that's one thing. Here he's going to have to scout. Analyze current players. Determine needs. Building an offense that fits the players we have.

There's a lot of stuff to do.
Reply/Quote