Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham Makes His Predictions
Bengals Booth Podcast came out and Nostradamus Dave Lapham made his prediction for #1 & #33.

Not a shocker, but at #1 it's Joe Burrow.

He also discussed the 2nd round pick. Was a little wishy-washy. He said some dream picks if they were to fall were Chaisson, Murray, or Queen. Said maybe AJ Terrell if he falls. Also mentioned OT or WR. Nothing earth-shattering.

But his pick is Jordyn Brooks. Said he fits very well with the system and said they could trade down and get him.

Said if they trade down, they shouldn't go later than 39. Said to expect an additional late 3rd, early 4th for the pick.

Hoard picked Queen if he's there, or Jaylon Johnson (CB out of Utah).
Reply/Quote
Hmmm, I would be very surprised if they went corner...that would indicate that WJIII is gone.

As much as I like Queen (not Murray as much), I really think there is quality depth at LB in the later rounds. I don't see a tremendous falloff in talent between guys like Murray and William Gay, Jr.

OT is another matter. Starter at RT could be there at #33 in Isiah Wilson, and if they were able to get Damien Lewis in Rd 4, the right side of the line becomes almost 700 lbs of human forklifts. That, and Wilson's insanely long arms make it very hard to run around him, even if he isn't super twitchy.

I am going to say my guess at #33 is Wilson. And if it isn't Burrow at #1, I am burning down someone's house before they can even call/skype in the 2nd pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ugh...

That means Brooks is almost certainly graded as a 2nd round pick on the Bengals board.

That sucks.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hmmm, I would be very surprised if they went corner...that would indicate that WJIII is gone.  

As much as I like Queen (not Murray as much), I really think there is quality depth at LB in the later rounds.  I don't see a tremendous falloff in talent between guys like Murray and William Gay, Jr.  

OT is another matter.  Starter at RT could be there at #33 in Isiah Wilson, and if they were able to get Damien Lewis in Rd 4, the right side of the line becomes almost 700 lbs of human forklifts.  That, and Wilson's insanely long arms make it very hard to run around him, even if he isn't super twitchy.

I am going to say my guess at #33 is Wilson.  And if it isn't Burrow at #1, I am burning down someone's house before they can even call/skype in the 2nd pick.

I know I've said it a few times already, but the guy I'm wanting is Wilson as well. 

I agree with you on corner. That they were hammering the position as a possibility, I think gives some insight about how the organization views the corners they had on last year's roster. 

I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most tonight is to see which positions have a run on players. Really hoping we see 2 RBs, 4-5 QBs, several CBs and DL go. 
Reply/Quote
Marvin is gone. We don’t have to take a CB every draft anymore...

Reply/Quote
God...if the Bengals screw up this 2 round again I’m going to throw a chair.

They better trade back for that kid. Better get some nice picks with it too.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 08:35 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I know I've said it a few times already, but the guy I'm wanting is Wilson as well. 

I agree with you on corner. That they were hammering the position as a possibility, I think gives some insight about how the organization views the corners they had on last year's roster. 

I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most tonight is to see which positions have a run on players. Really hoping we see 2 RBs, 4-5 QBs, several CBs and DL go. 

Absolutely.  Once Burrow is drafted, I will be cheering every QB, CB, RB, and D-lineman....Maybe not S because I still wish we would get Dugger.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 08:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Absolutely.  Once Burrow is drafted, I will be cheering every QB, CB, RB, and D-lineman....Maybe not S because I still wish we would get Dugger.  

I just see safety as a luxury pick because of the Bell signing. Personally, I wouldn't take the position in the first 3 rounds unless they are able to come away with an additional 2 picks in rounds 3-4 (trade down and unexpected compensation for Dalton). OL, LB, WR, and Edge are much higher priorities for me. 
Reply/Quote
I like the Dane Jackson kid out of Pitt as a CB if we draft one around Rd 5

I think we can trade back 5 or so spots in Rd 2 and still get a solid RT like Wilson or Jones
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 08:33 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Ugh...

That means Brooks is almost certainly graded as a 2nd round pick on the Bengals board.

That sucks.

Yeah.  I haven't seen anyone else with a second round grade on Brooks.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 08:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Marvin is gone. We don’t have to take a CB every draft anymore...

If you have 5-6 of them on your roster that you are content with starting all 16 games and have them locked into multi-year deals, then you are right.

As position groups go, CB and WR make up the largest percentage of the roster, so you do need to hit that well on pretty much an annual basis.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 09:57 AM)McC Wrote: Yeah.  I haven't seen anyone else with a second round grade on Brooks.

Dane Brugler from the Athletic has a 2nd-3rd round grade on him. I looked at many other rankings (just mocks), but there's been a lot of chatter on twitter lately of Brooks moving up the board and going in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hmmm, I would be very surprised if they went corner...that would indicate that WJIII is gone.

As much as I like Queen (not Murray as much), I really think there is quality depth at LB in the later rounds. I don't see a tremendous falloff in talent between guys like Murray and William Gay, Jr.

OT is another matter. Starter at RT could be there at #33 in Isiah Wilson, and if they were able to get Damien Lewis in Rd 4, the right side of the line becomes almost 700 lbs of human forklifts. That, and Wilson's insanely long arms make it very hard to run around him, even if he isn't super twitchy.

I am going to say my guess at #33 is Wilson. And if it isn't Burrow at #1, I am burning down someone's house before they can even call/skype in the 2nd pick.

I am also hopeful for Wilson. Give Burrow some great ya joes to begin his career.
Reply/Quote
Every draft has players that are "graded" as a 2nd or 3rd rounder end up getting drafted in the 5th or 6th. Opposite scenario holds true as well. That said, I think in this draft you will see A LOT of this. It just seems that there are so many divergent opinions on many players. More than usual.

As for Jordyn Brooks, it does make sense for the Bengals. Dude is one of the few 4-down linebackers out there if he improves his coverage. Of course, if Murray is still there, they need to grab him. I have a bad feeling that he will go to the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
2nd round is hard to predict. We won't know options until after the last pick tonight

I'm surprised Lapham didn't mention Baun
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 10:41 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: 2nd round is hard to predict. We won't know options until after the last pick tonight

Sorry, I was "working" at the time I was listening to the podcast. :) He did mention Baun in the same conversation with Brooks. He said that picking either at 33 was a little "too rich" (ie- they are options with a trade down). He likes Brooks better. I don't know how much.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 09:00 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I just see safety as a luxury pick because of the Bell signing. Personally, I wouldn't take the position in the first 3 rounds unless they are able to come away with an additional 2 picks in rounds 3-4 (trade down and unexpected compensation for Dalton). OL, LB, WR, and Edge are much higher priorities for me. 

Those are the position groups of need, but you don't reach for a Weaver in Rd 3 if the best LBs are gone and Dugger is there.  Dude is a first round talent, imho, and I bet he's long gone anyways.  But still, there are scenarios where the safety would be the better choice.  We can't be too locked in on position groups.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 10:41 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: 2nd round is hard to predict. We won't know options until after the last pick tonight

As a rush end, I think Lapham also likes Uche better than Baun, as do I. 

I believe he said Baun was more of a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 10:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As a rush end, I think Lapham also likes Uche better than Baun, as do I. 

I believe he said Baun was more of a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick.  

I've watched tape on both and Baun just strikes me as the better player. Uche is probably faster, but I think he'd need a year to develop. Not Baun. Baun looks as NFL ready as I've ever seen. I know some say he needs to add some weight, but he's super smart in terms of football IQ. That's where I think think he separates himself from Uche the most. Not saying Uche is dumb, but he has alot to learn. Baun follows his assignment extremely well. He's patient to read and react, and you almost never see him lose contain on the edge. But he can also GO! when he's called to rush the passer. I've seen Uche take some bad angles. Not as much with Baun. 

I've got mixed thoughts on Brooks. His Oklahoma tape is awful. He looks really indecisive there. But his Baylor tape is much better. As if his Oklahoma State tape. He's fast and physical. I won't be upset if he's the pick. I just hope we can trade back and get an extra 3rd, and I hope that extra 3rd is Davis-Gaither. 

Still, I think my preference would be for one of the top OTs to fall to us. 

In all honesty, I don't know, man. LOL. We're going to have alot of good options. I just hope they don't pull another Sample on us. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 08:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Absolutely.  Once Burrow is drafted, I will be cheering every QB, CB, RB, and D-lineman....Maybe not S because I still wish we would get Dugger.  

I can’t imagine taking a safety. We’re set for at least the next 2-3 years with Bates and Bell.

Reply/Quote