Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lapham doubts Bengals will sign proven guard
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/1/19/22236535/nfl-free-agents-2021-dave-lapham-bengals-news

Quote:“I think they’ve got plenty of options inside,” Lapham said on the Bengals Booth Podcast. “I think the veteran players have proven [that] at the end of the season. They got [Xavier] Su’a-Filo [that] knows what he’s doing. There’s no question about it. They’ve got veteran players that have played multiple positions and definitely can play guard.”

We know that Lapham is connected and this fits with what the Bengals have traditionally done, but let's hope he's not right about this being the approach. It would turn off a lot of fans who have grown increasingly frustrated with the Bengals not addressing OL properly for years.

With that said, if they do go this route, I would expect the Bengals to keep Bobby Hart on the roster for his last year, maybe re-sign Spain, and have a planned starting OL of Williams-Spain-Hopkins-XSF-Hart going into the draft. Then they will probably draft a guard and OT. Those draft picks would compete for starting roles but not be forced into starting if Pollack, Callahan, and Taylor don't feel they are ready.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hell no.
Reply/Quote
What Lapham said was he didnt expect them to go after Joe Thuney and signing him a record high contract for a guard. Which I agree I dont expect them to sign an Offensive Guard for 15+ mil. He did say if they look at a offensive lineman it would probably be one of the tackles which would be smart.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:27 PM)Synric Wrote: What Lapham said was he didnt expect them to go after Joe Thuney and signing him a record high contract for a guard. Which I agree I dont expect them to sign an Offensive Guard for 15+ mil. He did say if they look at a offensive lineman it would probably be one of the tackles which would be smart.

The Bengals also weren't expected to sign a huge deal for a NT last year, but they did.
I don't see the Bengals spending $10+ mill for an OT, but if they did, I think these are the only candidates worth it:
- Trent Williams (33 years old)
- Alejandro Villanueva (33 years old)
- Russell Okung (33 years old)

However, the Bengals might steer away of them all because of their age, as the Bengals are likely 2+ years away from contending.

The realistic target in my eyes is Daryl Williams.
He's been really good both against the run and pass for BUF, and plays RT.
He's "only" 29 years old.
I'm not sure of his expected market value, but if he can be had for 3 years, $25-30 mill with $15-20 mill guaranteed, I think he could be a target.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/1/19/22236535/nfl-free-agents-2021-dave-lapham-bengals-news

We know that Lapham is connected and this fits with what the Bengals have traditionally done, but let's hope he's not right about this being the approach. It would turn off a lot of fans who have grown increasingly frustrated with the Bengals not addressing OL properly for years.

With that said, if they do go this route, I would expect the Bengals to keep Bobby Hart on the roster for his last year, maybe re-sign Spain, and have a planned starting OL of Williams-Spain-Hopkins-XSF-Hart going into the draft. Then they will probably draft a guard and OT. Those draft picks would compete for starting roles but not be forced into starting if Pollack, Callahan, and Taylor don't feel they are ready.

they have addressed the OL 4 out of last 6 years with 1/2 rounds picks... plus Jordan in 19 was 4th round pick.. plus they acquired Glenn at the time top tier area tackle.. The problem is not addressing is bad drafts, injuries (Williams) and FA that did not work out.  I totally could see signing a FA tackle moving Hart inside plus drafting 1/2 OL .
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals also weren't expected to sign a huge deal for a NT last year, but they did.
I don't see the Bengals spending $10+ mill for an OT, but if they did, I think these are the only candidates worth it:

However, the Bengals might steer away of them all because of their age, as the Bengals are likely 2+ years away from contending.

I'm not sure of his expected market value, but if he can be had for 3 years, $25-30 mill with $15-20 mill guaranteed, I think he could be a target.

Taylor Moton is 26 and one of the best right tackles in the league. I expect him to get around what Jack Conklin made last year (14mil a year?).

I would take Moton over Thuney.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: they have addressed the OL 4 out of last 6 years with 1/2 rounds picks... but Jordan in 19 was 4th round pick.. plus they acquired Glenn at the time top tier area tackle.. The problem is not addressing is bad drafts, injuries (Williams) and FA that did not work out.  I totally could see signing a FA tackle moving Hart inside plus drafting 1/2 OL .

Hart was projected as a Guard when he was drafted, so I could see the Bengals willing to try him at RG. It might be a good career move for him.
He's shown he's not a Top 10 RT at this point. But he might be able to turn into a good RG who can play emergency RT duty. That's a gamble though.

You're right too that they have tried to address OL, but they've sucked at it. Ogbuehi and Fisher were busts. Glenn was ok but disgruntled. Price's best season was his rookie year at C with Pollack as the OL coach, but he still wasn't that good. He's gotten worse when attempting to play Guard. People should rightfully be nervous about the Bengals only using the draft to upgrade OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Gonna be a tough year if tgey dint improve at guard. FILO gets hurt too often
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/1/19/22236535/nfl-free-agents-2021-dave-lapham-bengals-news

If they'll never sign their own G's that they draft for a second contract because they don't believe in paying for that position it seems to me they'll never sign anybody else's.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals also weren't expected to sign a huge deal for a NT last year, but they did.

Agreed on the Williams route....the dude looks polished and better then the other guys you listed....and bonus: Burrow would have the "LAwfirm" of "Williams and Williams " protecting him for yrs to come.    
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Taylor Moton is 26 and one of the best right tackles in the league. I expect him to get around what Jack Conklin made last year (14mil a year?).

I would take Moton over Thuney.

I didn't see Moton on the list when I looked because it was sorted by 2020 cap hit.
He would be on the list too for guys worth paying over $10 mill.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:48 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Gonna be a tough year if tgey dint improve at guard. FILO gets hurt too often

And hasn't been consistently good.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Truth is there's only a handful of top o-lineman and they will be resigned before free agency and if they aren't than they will be getting top dollar, more than their talent is worth because the market has been dry for like 4 years and that's not changing.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:48 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Gonna be a tough year if tgey dint improve at guard. FILO gets hurt too often

I think he's been hurt once in his career
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Bringing in pollack will likely be the biggest OL move we make this offseason But we will see.
Reply/Quote

Didn't Hopkins tear his ACL?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 01:20 PM)jason Wrote: Didn't Hopkins tear his ACL?

He did, but it's not expected to be a full-year recovery.
I would expect Price to start at C until Hopkins is back.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:52 PM)higgy100 Wrote: If they'll never sign their own G's that they draft for a second contract because they don't believe in paying for that position  it seems to me they'll never sign anybody else's.

They re-signed Boling. They would have probably re-signed Zeitler if he had been willing to sign for less than $10 mill a year.
They seem to have a priority on what positions they are willing to give bigger money to and IOL isn't one of them.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They re-signed Boling. They would have probably re-signed Zeitler if he had been willing to sign for less than $10 mill a year.
They seem to have a priority on what positions they are willing to give bigger money to and IOL isn't one of them.

At what point does this change? Something has to give with this line...I hope Pollock is the answer but open the wallet and pay the people when you have your franchise dropping back behind them. 
Reply/Quote
I’m so sick of reading about the “options” we have. If we don’t address o-line then there is legitimately no hope for this team. I have never been so fed up with a team in my life. To go out week 17 without a whimper giving up 400 yards rushing and Lou still has a job here is an absolute joke. Don’t feed me the injuries BS. Every single team deals with injuries. Follow that with Hobson and Lap trying to ease fans into the notion the Bengals will doing nothing to address o-line in FA and my disdain for the team is at an all time high.
Reply/Quote