Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lapham doubts Bengals will sign proven guard
(01-21-2021, 10:32 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There is completely zero heart in Bobby Hart...

You can not have this guy on the team next year even as the towel boy if you are serious about protecting Burrow.

Wasn't this really on the RG though?  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 04:06 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Wasn't this really on the RG though?  

I've watched this one before (can't watch it again now because I'm on a work call - yes, I can type but can't watch  Ninja ) but my recollection was the the RG had his own guy he was pinned with.  I'm sure it has to do with scheme and who is assigned to block who, and I'm not nerdy enough to break all of that down, but Hart sure looks like he's just standing around rather clueless often.  Definitely not just limited to this one example. 

And if it's completely driven by scheme, then something is super broken with a scheme that lets guys come in untouched and has your tackle standing there with his thumbs up his butt.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 04:15 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I've watched this one before (can't watch it again now because I'm on a work call - yes, I can type but can't watch  Ninja ) but my recollection was the the RG had his own guy he was pinned with.  I'm sure it has to do with scheme and who is assigned to block who, and I'm not nerdy enough to break all of that down, but Hart sure looks like he's just standing around rather clueless often.  Definitely not just limited to this one example. 

And if it's completely driven by scheme, then something is super broken with a scheme that lets guys come in untouched and has your tackle standing there with his thumbs up his butt.  

Agreed.  It looks super silly.  I was genuinely asking because I'm not an o-line guru.  To your point of scheme, you have to wonder if Turner was a stickler for scheme to the point where Hart wasn't "allowed" to break scheme and cover the guy up.  Who knows.  What I do know is Bobby sometimes has flashes of talent and other times has flashes of "WTF WAS THAT" and that tells me coaching was the problem, not skill.  Sure, he's no Sewell or Jonah, but I do believe we may like him better under Pollack.
Reply/Quote

If that was on the RG, then Hart would have had no one to block.

He is looking across at 93 at the snap, you can even see his head turn to look at him as he takes a soft light jab at his chest and then just watches him go by.

If there was an outsider rusher, then yes this isn't his fault, but there is no outside rusher, this is the last guy coming on that side and Hart just completely whiffs on the block. 

He did this far too often to be considered worthy of a roster spot. There are countless videos of him getting blown past of just bullied right back to the QB. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 04:26 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Agreed.  It looks super silly.  I was genuinely asking because I'm not an o-line guru.  To your point of scheme, you have to wonder if Turner was a stickler for scheme to the point where Hart wasn't "allowed" to break scheme and cover the guy up.  Who knows.  What I do know is Bobby sometimes has flashes of talent and other times has flashes of "WTF WAS THAT" and that tells me coaching was the problem, not skill.  Sure, he's no Sewell or Jonah, but I do believe we may like him better under Pollack.

[Image: CTCI4UH3SVH5LKJM6XVVJTG4IY.gif]

Just wanted to add this one to the thread.

This is 2018 and you can see Hart again just dominated as he is pushed right into Dalton.

This is important because in this game, his line coach was Pollack. Hart may have flashes of talent, but when it comes to protecting your QB, flashes isn't good enough.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 04:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: [Image: CTCI4UH3SVH5LKJM6XVVJTG4IY.gif]

Just wanted to add this one to the thread.

This is 2018 and you can see Hart again just dominated as he is pushed right into Dalton.

This is important because in this game, his line coach was Pollack. Hart may have flashes of talent, but when it comes to protecting your QB, flashes isn't good enough.

Could be a reason we are hearing rumors they move on from Hart and go after a real RT in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Watch Hopkins literally backpedal the whole time. 

Seriously, I think we need to look at FA Centers as well. 
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling I know what the Bengals plan on doing at guard. Kevin Zeitler is most likely on his way out with the Giants. The Giants have only around $3 million in cap room and cutting Zeitler opens up $10 million more for them. I could see the FO reuniting with Zeitler now that his cost will be lower than before.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

To me, it's on the Guard. The G didn't side step to cover the hole cause 53 was lined up to blitz on the outside which is Bobby's job to cover. 
Bobby moved to the outside to cover 53, and pushed 91 to where the G was supposed to be since 53 dropped back... but I guess the G didn't move over cause he was busy watching 98 or didn't know his assignment.

This kinda stuff is on coaching. The OL aren't all on the same page and playing disciplined. It's different if the guys are being manhandled and the DL is getting thru, but in this case they just simply weren't where they were supposed to be.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 09:47 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Watch Hopkins literally backpedal the whole time. 

LOL shh I wasn't gonna say it, but yea that was rather embarrassing.
One thing to miss your assignment, that's mental, but not  much you can do when you are lacking the physicality to do your job.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 09:47 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Watch Hopkins literally backpedal the whole time. 

We're going to have to accept some positions are not going to get upgraded this offseason. There are just too many that need it.
Hopkins was the second-best pass blocker on the team last year behind Jonah Williams. The OGs and RT need upgraded before Hopkins does.
On top of the OL, you need the following upgrades:
WR3
LB
DT
DE
K

You'll be adding to that if Huber, Harris, WJ3, Alexander, and/or Lawson leave.

And you're realistically only expecting an upgrade to come from the first four rounds of the draft aside from ST.

We may have to deal with Hopkins and Price for 2021 and get an upgrade there in 2022.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote