Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham interview with Jim Turner
(07-02-2020, 01:10 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: One of the big takeaways from the interview, for me personally, was when Turner mentioned that they had a 2nd round grade on Hakeem Adeniji.

Some one please tell me that Bengal Dude did not hear this correctly.

Why the hell would we wait until pick number 180 to take a player with a 2nd round grade?

And why hadn't any other team jumped on thst value?
Reply/Quote
All I know is if Hakeem Adenji somehow becomes the greatest 6th round OL pick of all time I'll never question the Bengals and their strategy again.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 01:10 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: One of the big takeaways from the interview, for me personally, was when Turner mentioned that they had a 2nd round grade on Hakeem Adeniji. I know they had 1st round grades on Burrow and Higgins. Does this mean they had 1st or 2nd round grades on Wilson, ADG, and Kareem? Or did they seriously not have OL as that big of a need?

Even if we did have OL as not that big of a need other teams would of picked him up if he was truly a second round talent. I think Turner had him graded way to high even if he was talented other teams passed on him up till the 6th round.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 02:02 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: All I know is if Hakeem Adenji somehow becomes the greatest 6th round OL pick of all time I'll never question the Bengals and their strategy again.

They would gets tons of credit for finding a great player in the 6th round no matter what.  No need to claim they had a second round grade on him and then waited until the 6th round to pick him.  That just sounds ridiculous.

But nno matter how ridiculous it sounds I hope it is true.  We need all the help we can get on the O-line.
Reply/Quote
Everyone is not listening to everything Turner said; literally right after he mentioned the 2nd round grade, he flat-out said, "but there were more-pressing needs in front of him that we had to do; you know all about that, don't you Lap?"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 11:55 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Everyone is not listening to everything Turner said; literally right after he mentioned the 2nd round grade, he flat-out said, "but there were more-pressing needs in front of him that we had to do; you know all about that, don't you Lap?"

And what did Lap say about there being no issue with the O-line?

I don't care how many "needs" you have.  You don't let a guy with a second round grade slip to the 6th round.  And even if you do, you would be trying desperately to trade up to get him in the fifth before some other team does.

If you pass up higher rated players to fill needs with lower rated players you end up with a team full of lower rated players.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 01:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Some one please tell me that Bengal Dude did not hear this correctly.

Why the hell would we wait until pick number 180 to take a player with a 2nd round grade?

And why hadn't any other team jumped on thst value?

Bengal Dude did not hear it correctly, at least not exactly. 

Turner didn't say "they" had a 2nd round grade on Ajeniji, he said that he himself did. 

I believe that coaches grade players independently, without being biased by how the scouting dept already ranks them. Then they put their evaluations together, discuss the prospects, and come up with an overall team evaluation. Or something like that. 

So I don't think it's unusual for a coach to say 2nd round, the scouts to say 5th round, and by consensus process they end up with let's say 4th round. So "they" got a guy w/ a 4th round grade in the 6th, which is also no unusual. 

I'm not saying that the overall team evaluation was 4th round necessarily, but I'm sure it wasn't 2nd round, or we'd have taken him much, much higher. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 12:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And what did Lap say about there being no issue with the O-line?

I don't care how many "needs" you have.  You don't let a guy with a second round grade slip to the 6th round.  And even if you do, you would be trying desperately to trade up to get him in the fifth before some other team does.

If you pass up higher rated players to fill needs with lower rated players you end up with a team full of lower rated players.

I don't really care about how long they wait or anything, but obviously if there's a pecking order, there's a pecking order; furthermore, TURNER had a 2nd round grade, not the Bengals.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The fact the Bengals waited until the 6th round to draft OL because they had "more pressing needs to address" shows a big disconnect between the organization and the fan base.

Either they are right and they have are going to blossom well or they are in denial and the fans are right to be concerned with the lack of talent at OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
On second thought I really don't care what Turner says about his grade on Adeniji. It might all be total BS and Turner is just saying that to pump up Hakeem's self confidence.

If Adeniji turns into a great player then I will give the Bengals credit for getting him in the sixth round no matter what round grade they had on him. And if he sucks it doesn't matter because they didn't really spend a 2nd round pick on him.
Reply/Quote