Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham lists the things the Bengals need to do to win Sunday against the Bills
Lapham lists the things the Bengals need to do to win Sunday against the Bills

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Keys-to-the-Game-Week-11/bfc6abed-c1b7-47eb-ba6e-be94a10534e7

Sadly, the Bengals haven't done any of these three things all season.

Quote:Keys to the Game: Week 11

Dave Lapham breaks downs the keys to the game against the Buffalo Bills, who lead the AFC with 155 rushing yards per game, averaging 5.28 yards per carry.

Ground and Pound: Which team can control the ground game?

“Rex Ryan is a ground and pound guy. In the eight years he’s been a coach in the NFL, only one time has his team thrown the football more than they’ve run it. He believes in that ground game.

“The Bengals are going to have to stay in their gaps, get off the blocks and tackle.

“Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor and running back LeSean McCoy can get it done. They will make you miss.”

Recognize and Communicate to Pick up the Ryan Brothers’ Blitzes

“Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan have some unconventional looks. They’ll overload in ways that you’ll ask ‘does that make sense to overload it this way?’ But you have to be able to deal with it.

“You have to recognize what they’re doing and communicate it effectively.  You’re at home, so the communication should not be a problem.

“Recognition of what you see is first and foremost. You’ve got to make sure you recognize it, identify it properly and then communicate it up and down the line in the run game and in the pass game.”

Protect Andy Dalton and Give Him Time

“Once you get it communicated, you have to execute. Protect the quarterback. They’re number one in the NFL with 30 quarterback sacks and number one in sacks per pass attempt.

“You have to give Andy Dalton not just time, but give him space. Keep people out of his grill. Let him follow through and get the ball down the football field.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The Bengals offensive line are the biggest underachievers in the NFL this year, and the Bills are going to make them look even worse if that is even possible. They wont protect Dalton and they wont run the ball with any success. I think they lose big.
Reply/Quote
My keys:

1.) Adjust your personnel to protect your QB and open up your running game. Two of the four: Uzo, Kroft, Eifert, and Hewitt must be on the field at all times.

2.) Go no huddle. Dalton reads and reacts faster than a Rex Ryan Defense...he's proven that. Turn him loose. Get out to a lead with some energy and aggression and you take away their best weapon: the running game.

3.) More rotation at defensive line and at LB. Keep more players fresh and stop getting destroyed in the fourth quarter.
Reply/Quote
How about just showing up, angry and hostile, and playing like your job depends upon it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2016, 08:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How about just showing up, angry and hostile, and playing like your job depends upon it.

NFL players aren't expected to also be good actors.   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2016, 08:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How about just showing up, angry and hostile, and playing like your job depends upon it.

From the HC all the way down to the mascot. Do you effin job!

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2016, 07:55 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: The Bengals offensive line are the biggest underachievers in the NFL this year, and the Bills are going to make them look even worse if that is even possible. They wont protect Dalton and they wont run the ball with any success. I think they lose big.
It looks bad on paper. I just have feeling they win this game. Outside of a certain playoff game, the Bengals have done pretty well vs Rex Ryan's teams. Don't get me wrong. 6 wins is the ceiling for this team this year. I hope for more, but they are a bad team this year. I think they get it done this week at home though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'm afraid Andy Dalton is in for a very bad day.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2016, 07:55 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: The Bengals offensive line are the biggest underachievers in the NFL this year, and the Bills are going to make them look even worse if that is even possible. They wont protect Dalton and they wont run the ball with any success. I think they lose big.
My concern is that Dalton gets seriously injured in this mismatch. If he does we should march on PBS pitchforks in hand. Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote
Dalton could be running for his life again.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don't know what to expect really. I've seen the Bengals redeem their selves before, and this year I've seen them continue the same struggles and lose. Marcel Darius is coming back, I think andy is going to get a lot of pressure and take some sacks. They really need to get back to the short passing, like screens and slants. Dalton's forte.

Another question, why don't lapham man up and be our coach, he's a super fan and loves this team. He sounds football smart. I'd love him as our coach.
Reply/Quote
Simple. Stop McCoy and we win. The Bills have nobody else.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2016, 10:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: From the HC all the way down to the mascot. Do you effin job!

Who Dey did some good things out there, he just needs to correct some things and keep shovelin'.  

[Image: whodey.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Bengals will lose another close game and then another and another and then we will hear that if a few plays went our way, this team is 10-6 or 9-7 and AFC North Champs and as a result, no changes will be made in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2016, 02:30 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Dalton will be running for his life again.

Fixed it for you!
Reply/Quote
Buffalo gains their yards on offense by chunks and big plays -- very much like an old 1960s style AFL team they once were. Nearly every week during network game breaks or during half time highlights shows I'll see at least one example from the Bills of LeSean McCoy breaking tackles for a huge gain on the ground or Tyrod Taylor throwing a gigantic pass to some receiver I don't recognize. In 2016 Cincinnati's defense has been vulnerable to big plays like this and if not contained, Tyrod and LeSean could put up a really big number at Paul Brown Stadium today.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2016, 04:05 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Another question, why don't lapham man up and be our coach, he's a super fan and loves this team. He sounds football smart. I'd love him as our coach.

Being a great player does not equate being a great coach in any way shape or form. I'm not sure Lap has ever done ANY coaching....
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 10:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Being a great player does not equate being a great coach in any way shape or form. I'm not sure Lap has ever done ANY coaching....

Nor have we seen anything to indicate he has anything close to a desire to be a coach.  If people think ownership are idiots now, what would they look like offering the HC job to a former player who has never coached at any level?

As to the OP, this quote says the most:

“You have to give Andy Dalton not just time, but give him space. Keep people out of his grill. Let him follow through and get the ball down the football field.”

Give him space to make the throw.  It doesn't matter if four guys are wide open, if he can't follow through to make a good pass, it will never reach them.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 12:19 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Nor have we seen anything to indicate he has anything close to a desire to be a coach.  If people think ownership are idiots now, what would they look like offering the HC job to a former player who has never coached at any level?

As to the OP, this quote says the most:

Give him space to make the throw.  It doesn't matter if four guys are wide open, if he can't follow through to make a good pass, it will never reach them.

He sounds smarter then marvin when he talks and shows more passionten him. That's enough for me to be onboard, im sure he knows xcs and o's, I know hes said he don't want the hours the coaches have on the radio before. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 03:10 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: He sounds smarter then marvin when he talks and shows more passionten him. That's enough for me to be onboard, im sure he knows xcs and o's, I know hes said he don't want the hours the coaches have on the radio before. 

Lap did an interview on Sirius this week and pretty much blamed the bulk of this seasons issues on RT and the coaching turnover, particularly on defense.

He stated the same thing I've said before around here, we have lost the consistency in the staff to be able to pull through adversity.  As he put it, there are no common experiences among the position coaches.  His example was that you can run into an issue against a scheme and the DC can say, "remember what we did against team Y to two years ago?  we can do that here" and every position coach knows the adjustment and how to get it implemented.  But when every coach but the DC is new to the team and system, they don't have that knowledge of how the team reacted and adjusted in the past.
Reply/Quote