Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham on WRs
According to him, don't look for any UFA to be signed. The only chance they'll get one in FA is if he's someone who's been released because they want the compensatory picks.

Which is pretty much exactly what I didn't want to hear, but almost exactly what I expected to hear after I they said that they budgeted $15m out of a possible $39m+ for free agency. I really don't understand what their hardon for comp picks are.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 08:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: According to him, don't look for any UFA to be signed. The only chance they'll get one in FA is if he's someone who's been released because they want the compensatory picks.

Which is pretty much exactly what I didn't want to hear, but almost exactly what I expected to hear after I they said that they budgeted $15m out of a possible $39m+ for free agency. I really don't understand what their hardon for comp picks are.

Comp picks are something Ozzie Newsome is known for. Marvin became a big fan of this while in Baltimore.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I like it.
Reply/Quote
It is a shit WR free agent class. I would rather have a 3rd round comp pick next year, that will probably be tradable, than some bummy free agent WR.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 08:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: According to him, don't look for any UFA to be signed. The only chance they'll get one in FA is if he's someone who's been released because they want the compensatory picks.

I'd like for the Bengals to sign a veteran WR like Boldin. Also would have liked Quick, but I figured that they would need a WR in the draft.

Comp picks allow you to draft more than one I suppose.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 08:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: It is a shit WR free agent class. I would rather have a 3rd round comp pick next year, that will probably be tradable, than some bummy free agent WR.

Nitpicking here: I'm pretty sure comp picks aren't tradeable.  But having one at the end of the 3rd round might make the Bengals feel their regular 3rd or 4th round pick is "tradeable," so I think your main point is still right.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:08 PM)DanTheBengalsFan Wrote: Nitpicking here: I'm pretty sure comp picks aren't tradeable.  But having one at the end of the 3rd round might make the Bengals feel their regular 3rd or 4th round pick is "tradeable," so I think your main point is still right.

Comp. picks will be tradeable next year.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:08 PM)DanTheBengalsFan Wrote: Nitpicking here: I'm pretty sure comp picks aren't tradeable.  But having one at the end of the 3rd round might make the Bengals feel their regular 3rd or 4th round pick is "tradeable," so I think your main point is still right.

As of now that's correct but there has been stromg talks/rumors of comp picks becoming tradeable starting next season.
Reply/Quote

They're tradable next year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

In the past and in this 2016 draft they are not tradeable but they will be tradeable in 2017 draft.
Reply/Quote
You can only have up to 4 picks, and there's only 32 picks total given each year, so you have to go against the other 31 teams to even get that 4.

That said, why are people in love with compensatory picks? It doesn't help you at ALL this year. So what if they get an extra 4th rounder in 2017 if it means having a shit WR corps in 2016?

All that aside? The Bengals, for all their love of compensatory picks, suck with them something fierce. Here's a list of EVERY compensatory pick the Benglas have ever made under Lewis....

Elton Patterson
Landon Johnson (3rd Round)
Nedu Ndukwe
Andre Caldwell (3rd Round)
Matt Sherry
Angelo Craig
Mario Urrutia
Chase Coffman (3rd Round)
Bernard Scott
Clinton McDonald
Freddie Brown
Brandon Ghee (3rd Round)
Roderick Muckleroy
Jay Finley
Reid Fragel
TJ Johnson
Marquis Flowers
Lavelle Westbrooks
PJ Dawson (3rd Round)
Marcus Hardison

That is what a decade and a half of ignoring free agency gets you in return. That and no playoff wins. No thank you, how about they go and actually try to fix some things instead? Rishard Matthews and Reuben Randle are both still out there, as is Anquan Boldin.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can only have up to 4 picks, and there's only 32 picks total given each year, so you have to go against the other 31 teams to even get that 4.

That said, why are people in love with compensatory picks? It doesn't help you at ALL this year. So what if they get an extra 4th rounder in 2017 if it means having a shit WR corps in 2016?

All that aside? The Bengals, for all their love of compensatory picks, suck with them something fierce. Here's a list of EVERY compensatory pick the Benglas have ever made under Lewis....

Elton Patterson
Landon Johnson (3rd Round)
Nedu Ndukwe
Andre Caldwell (3rd Round)
Matt Sherry
Angelo Craig
Mario Urrutia
Chase Coffman (3rd Round)
Bernard Scott
Clinton McDonald
Freddie Brown
Brandon Ghee (3rd Round)
Roderick Muckleroy
Jay Finley
Reid Fragel
TJ Johnson
Marquis Flowers
Lavelle Westbrooks
PJ Dawson (3rd Round)
Marcus Hardison

That is what a decade and a half of ignoring free agency gets you in return. That and no playoff wins. No thank you, how about they go and actually try to fix some things instead? Rishard Matthews and Reuben Randle are both still out there, as is Anquan Boldin.
 Pass on the FA WRs with the type of $$ being thrown out there.. I rather sign our own and draft a WR.. and probably will see one veteran be cheap in summer.  As for picks.. so you would rather just not have them at all ?? so many teams have bad picks and actually the Bengals over the last 5 to 6 years have ranked pretty well as far as draft picks working out around the league...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Actually a good day for Bengals.. signed what is probably the two most important FAs they needed in George and Adam.. They did not reach and overspend on MJ... I am very happy with our first day....  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I don't know all the WR's that have been released but I wouldn't mind bringing in Mike Wallace if he doesn't cost too much. I think he could provide a veteran presence so we don't have to rely on a rookie starting at #2 WR from day one.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  Pass on the FA WRs with the type of $$ being thrown out there.. I rather sign our own and draft a WR.. and probably will see one veteran be cheap in summer.  As for picks.. so you would rather just not have them at all ?? so many teams have bad picks and actually the Bengals over the last 5 to 6 years have ranked pretty well as far as draft picks working out around the league...

Never said that, but congrats on taking it to the far extreme opposite.

What I would rather have is worrying about winning in 2016 more than worrying about potential picks that you may or may not get in 2017 that may or may not produce an NFL caliber player. If you so happen to get one or two while making the best possible roster you can that year, great, it's a small bonus. But refraining from making the best possible roster you can for the sole reason of trying to horde them for two seasons from now, not great.

Sustainability is great and all, unless you're trading actually trying to win for it.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:18 PM)I cant think of a username Wrote: I don't know all the WR's that have been released but I wouldn't mind bringing in Mike Wallace if he doesn't cost too much. I think he could provide a veteran presence so we don't have to rely on a rookie starting at #2 WR from day one.

We can wait on a veteran signing... let the dust settle on the overpaying WR first...... 
Reply/Quote
And it may be a good sign that Sanu wants a visit with Atlanta before doing anything. His fiance has lived here all her life and with her entire family here she may be exerting some pressure to stay here.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can only have up to 4 picks, and there's only 32 picks total given each year, so you have to go against the other 31 teams to even get that 4.

I really don't understand the love of compensatory picks either, other than half the fan base has been brainwashed to think they are something incredible.  You're basically saying "I'll pass on something that can improve my team this year for the possibility of a middle round draft pick next year".  Where is the "win now" mentality?

I heard Soloman Wilcots on NFL Network earlier.  He said that a team has to build through the draft, but you're always going to have holes either from people who have left or picks you missed on, and that is what you should look for in free agency.  Bring in those one or two difference makers who can put you over the top.  I completely agree with this sentiment.
Reply/Quote
If a contract is voided; is that the same thing as being cut? It may be a silly question, but I ask because the Bills had the option to void the last 2 years of Percy Harvvin's contract.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If a contract is voided; is that the same thing as being cut? It may be a silly question, but I ask because the Bills had the option to void the last 2 years of Percy Harvvin's contract.

Did he even finish the year with them in 2015?  He is hurt so much, it difficult to tell...
Reply/Quote