Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham's observation on Joe Mixon
I didn't fact-check his numbers, but it sounded about right.

Lap said that for basically 5 quarters of football (the 2nd half of the Raider game, and the first 3 quarters of the steeler game), that Mixon has roughly 50 carries for 265 yards and 3 TDs.

That is downright incredible.

That is a heavy workload, and I was really glad to see Perine and Evans take carries from him after the 3rd quarter against the steelers.

Joe also made an incredible hustle play to break up an easy INT that Burrow threw at the DE.

Perhaps what I love the most about him is his energy. Love how excited he gets to just be winning. I saw the same thing in Chase as he was hopping around like a little kid after making a nice block on a long Mixon run against the steelers.

This was the missing piece on offense. The running game. Now, they appear to have found something and they have adjusted to the scheme that Pollack desired. Before the season, I was so hoping that they could get out to a fast start and being a young, energetic team, they could catch fire. Well, that appears to be happening. This is just awesome. I am not afraid of the "let down" against the Chargers or any other team. They will get their 10 wins (at least, maybe more) and will make the playoffs. This team is just different.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 09:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't fact-check his numbers, but it sounded about right.

Lap said that for basically 5 quarters of football (the 2nd half of the Raider game, and the first 3 quarters of the steeler game), that Mixon has roughly 50 carries for 265 yards and 3 TDs.  

That is downright incredible.  

That is a heavy workload, and I was really glad to see Perine and Evans take carries from him after the 3rd quarter against the steelers.  

Joe also made an incredible hustle play to break up an easy INT that Burrow threw at the DE.

Perhaps what I love the most about him is his energy.  Love how excited he gets to just be winning.  I saw the same thing in Chase as he was hopping around like a little kid after making a nice block on a long Mixon run against the steelers.

This was the missing piece on offense.  The running game.  Now, they appear to have found something and they have adjusted to the scheme that Pollack desired.  Before the season, I was so hoping that they could get out to a fast start and being a young, energetic team, they could catch fire.  Well, that appears to be happening.  This is just awesome.  I am not afraid of the "let down" against the Chargers or any other team.  They will get their 10 wins (at least, maybe more) and will make the playoffs.  This team is just different.

I noticed a couple of really good blocks by Chase and the other WR's when I re-watched the game. I think the huge block Chase threw a couple of weeks ago has the WR room humming and has set the standard that they get out there and help run over people.
Reply/Quote
Joe does not have a good history of avoiding injuries. He almost never makes it through a full 16 games and this year we have to play 17.

We definitely need to cut down on his carries with the new 17 game schedule.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 10:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I noticed a couple of really good blocks by Chase and the other WR's when I re-watched the game. I think the huge block Chase threw a couple of weeks ago has the WR room humming and has set the standard that they get out there and help run over people.

You almost never hear about WR blocking, but those are the key to many long runs.  I hate Hines Ward as much as anyone, but he was a big part of the Steelers success at running the ball.

I think most of our WRs were not in the habit of blocking downfield because our RBs rarely made it to the second level.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 10:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I noticed a couple of really good blocks by Chase and the other WR's when I re-watched the game. I think the huge block Chase threw a couple of weeks ago has the WR room humming and has set the standard that they get out there and help run over people.

Boyd, Higgins, Uzo, and Morgan have all shown a real pride in blocking for each other.  I think it was Higgins that said something to the effect of "we have to block for Joe just like we need him to block for us so Joe has time to find us".  Great point.  
Reply/Quote
The WR blocking has been great to see and further points to the team not being as individualistic as some previous teams w/ talent. I love seeing Chase such a willing blocker as a rookie. Although I was team Chase before drafting him, the blocking is a variable I didn't even factor in or expect.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 10:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Joe does not have a good history of avoiding injuries.  He almost never makes it through a full 16 games and this year we have to play 17.

We definitely need to cut down on his carries with the new 17 game schedule.

He already missed a game and a half this season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:49 PM)pally Wrote: He already missed a game and a half this season

I know you've posted this already, Pally (not the first time I remember seeing it), but he's played (and started) in every game this year and I don't remember him being pulled aside from one game (which escapes me, at the moment. Maybe GB?).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MixoJo00.htm

Hope he continues to be healthy.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Mixon said they are doing a good job with his workload to keep him fresh. However, when we get the lead they should rely more heavily on the other backs.
Reply/Quote
If the coaches groom Burrow to keep spreading the ball to all our talented players, this offense will be unstopable. SImilarly to when Carson spread the ball to TJ, Chad, Henry and Rudy. IF they let Burrow become a Chase bromance, it's game over like Andy at every play off game. Getting our other RBs in the mix is beneficial too.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 02:45 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: If the coaches groom Burrow to keep spreading the ball to all our talented players, this offense will be unstopable. SImilarly to when Carson spread the ball to TJ, Chad, Henry and Rudy.   IF they let Burrow become a Chase bromance, it's game over like Andy at every play off game. Getting our other RBs in the mix is beneficial too.

We have more talent at WR  as a whole than those playoff games of Andy and AJ and 2 of those games Indy and Pittsburgh Andy or AJ were out, so they played together in 3 of them.

If we make the playoffs I like to finally see a run defense  since we sucked under Zimmer in playoffs stopping the run.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 02:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Mixon said they are doing a good job with his workload to keep him fresh. However, when we get the lead they should rely more heavily on the other backs.

It annoyed me how many touches he continued getting late into the game against the Steelers. His last 6 touches never should have happened in a game like that. 
Reply/Quote
Joe took care of business in a big way and definitely the WR's seem to have no problem being humble and blocking.

Agree with Lap too that this team is just different and expect them to be in the playoffs as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 04:01 PM)TheFan Wrote: It annoyed me how many touches he continued getting late into the game against the Steelers. His last 6 touches never should have happened in a game like that. 

I thought the same thing. With his injury history and as important as he is to the offense, you cant risk him or wear him out ala Gurley when games are long over.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 02:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Mixon said they are doing a good job with his workload to keep him fresh. However, when we get the lead they should rely more heavily on the other backs.

Absolutely agree.  Was really hoping to see more of Evans and when they did, he got injured.  They protected both Pooka Williams and Trayveon this week.  One or both could be moved up.  Pooka might be interesting for special teams because as of right now, we don't have a kick returner.
Reply/Quote