Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham's top 3 presents for Bengals
Another DT that can rush the passer more so than a run stopping DT.
teams needs to pay for doubling Geno and right they are simply not.
Reply/Quote
You can hit or miss on all the spots you guys are talking about except the Oline. If we miss on the Oline then most likely we will have another losing season.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 01:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Lap gives his thoughts on the top 3 things that need to be fixed / added this offseason:

1) Offensive Line (especially tackle)
2) Multiple Linebackers
3) Another Defensive Tackle

Interesting he puts DT on that list. I can't really argue with any of his top 3.

MB will probably give us a CB!
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 05:25 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Nothing, and I mean nothing, can help this organizations future as long as the 3 stooges are in command. Good Lord MB, ML and HJ, be football smart for once and look from the outside in for once. Then, just get out for respect of the game once you are able to comprehend the humiliation you have caused the fans and the city of Cincinnati, not to mention the legacy of Paul.

TBH, I think MB must have hated his father and this is his way of paying him back. Stupid coward!

Mike is not a sentimental person, so I believe he thinks he honored his father throughout infinity by naming the stadium after him.  So, no matter what transpires between the lines, to his mind, he can't do anything to sully that.  As for the fans, we're just the rubes he shakes down.  Merv and Hue care even less about Paul's heritage and the fans than Mike does.  **** them all.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 06:34 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: You can hit or miss on all the spots you guys are talking about except the Oline. If we miss on the Oline then most likely we will have another losing season.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they think the guys they need are already here and just need to play better.  Our vision of team needs and even Lap's vision will probably not align with Marv's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He also forgot guard and tight end.
I would say those two are a higher need than a DT right now.

Give me Billings for another year and get a new OG or TE.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 05:46 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Another DT that can rush the passer more so than a run stopping DT.
teams needs to pay for doubling Geno and right they are simply not.

What good is being able to rush the passer, if you can't force the other team to be one dimensional?  If you haven't noticed, the interior of the defense has been slapped around by just about every team we've faced this season.

The problem is, and I've said this before;  You're not going to get everything this team needs through the draft alone.  As of right now, this team NEEDS 2 starting LBs, 2 starting quality OL, a legit TE, AND a NT that commands double teams. (Glassgow might help in rotation once healthy, but I'd rather not chance it), not to mention the secondary has looked shaky for 3 years in a row now.

What can you reasonably expect from a draft class, two maybe three day one starters/major contributors from day 1?  That means they are going to have to look outside the draft, and utilize free agency and trading. (I know, that is like kryptonite to Mike Brown)  But, when you legit need 6 or 7 guys to have a solid squad, that's what it takes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 06:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting he puts DT on that list. I can't really argue with any of his top 3.

MB will probably give us a CB!

We will get who ever is hurt and can’t play the first year or someone that sets a record at Indy. No matter what the need
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 02:05 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: 1.) New coaching staff that have balls
2.) New LB corps that have balls
3.) New Offensive Line that have balls

From ownership, to coaching staff, to the players and the damn waterboy this team needs BALLS!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 08:00 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: We will get who ever is hurt and can’t play the first year or someone that sets a record at Indy.  No matter what the need

Will DreK be a FA?  We can pocket his money and let him walk and then draft a 1st round injured corner to take his place. 
Reply/Quote
Holy crap this team hasn't picked a DT higher than the 3rd round since Dan Wilkerson!

That was Devon Still in the 2nd. Only because we had a couple extra picks from the Palmer trade in other rounds.

I know that talent can be had in lower rounds. It just seems like a real long time. 1994.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 09:51 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Holy crap this team hasn't picked a DT higher than the 3rd round since Dan Wilkerson!

That was Devon Still in the 2nd.  Only because we had a couple extra picks from the Palmer trade in other rounds.

I know that talent can be had in lower rounds.  It just seems like a real long time.  1994.

I was really high on Devon Still too. I thought the Bengals got an amazing player with that pick

But that is pretty crazy they only have drafted one DT higher than the 3rd round since 1994. Crazy
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 09:59 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I was really high on Devon Still too. I thought the Bengals got an amazing player with that pick

But that is pretty crazy they only have drafted one DT higher than the 3rd round since 1994. Crazy

Yeah I liked it much more than the Thompson pick.

Alas neither worked out for us. Sad
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 09:51 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Holy crap this team hasn't picked a DT higher than the 3rd round since Dan Wilkerson!

That was Devon Still in the 2nd.  Only because we had a couple extra picks from the Palmer trade in other rounds.

I know that talent can be had in lower rounds.  It just seems like a real long time.  1994.

Both of the DTs we took that year turned out to be disappointments.  Unless you get lucky in a mid round pick like Geno, or have time to invest in developmental years like with Billings and Glassgow, DT is one of those positions where you need to draft from the top of the class.  They tried to go low-rent on a vet DT in FA last year (Chris Baker) but he really didn't pan out.   So, unless they plan on dealing for a 2nd 1st round pick, I'd say a significant upgrade at DT is not going to happen.

The reason that I say all that, is because if the LB or OT that we need isn't there with our pick, DT might be a smart way to go at the top of the draft.  The free agent LB class has several top notch players that will be looking for their second or third contracts.  

If they are comfortable riding with Cordy Glenn for another year, and the LT of the future just isn't there when they pick, there are plenty of plug and play guys to be found in rounds 2 and 3, that would fit right in at RT.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 10:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Both of the DTs we took that year turned out to be disappointments.  Unless you get lucky in a mid round pick like Geno, or have time to invest in developmental years like with Billings and Glassgow, DT is one of those positions where you need to draft from the top of the class.  They tried to go low-rent on a vet DT in FA last year (Chris Baker) but he really didn't pan out.   So, unless they plan on dealing for a 2nd 1st round pick, I'd say a significant upgrade at DT is not going to happen.

The reason that I say all that, is because if the LB or OT that we need isn't there with our pick, DT might be a smart way to go at the top of the draft.  The free agent LB class has several top notch players that will be looking for their second or third contracts.  

If they are comfortable riding with Cordy Glenn for another year, and the LT of the future just isn't there when they pick, there are plenty of plug and play guys to be found in rounds 2 and 3, that would fit right in at RT.

Agreed. I do think there will be Tackles there...but LB can be had in free agency, IF we're willing to pay them.

With Dennard a free agent, I wouldn't be shocked if they took a CB. I think it's a bad pick though.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2018, 01:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Any list other than:
1) A new owner
2) A GM
3) A new HC
is inaccurate.

Unlike some, I actually like Lap and value his opinions (he's usually spot on with draft info), but talking about what players we need feels like talking about switching curtains on the Titanic. It'll just look better as it sinks.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 12:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Unlike some, I actually like Lap and value his opinions (he's usually spot on with draft info), but talking about what players we need feels like talking about switching curtains on the Titanic. It'll just look better as it sinks.

Yep. It's not like if we draft a really good player at 1 of those positions and they start Game 1 that it will make much of a difference.

The sad thing is all 3 other teams in the AFC North have better rosters than us.

I'd say, the quickest path to winning is fixing the offensive line though because we have Mixon, Green, and Boyd. Get Dalton time to throw and we can really improve in a hurry.

That said, a guy like Boling is declining. Hard to tell what other guys get hurt and/or decline next year.
Reply/Quote