Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham says . . .
(03-24-2017, 12:53 PM)The_WiseOne Wrote: IMO John Ross would be a mistake I mean Dalton already under throws AJ Green most of the time now!!
AJ Green will have two to five yards on his guy then Andy throws it and AJ has to slow down to catch it Green makes Dalton look way better than he is you know how many more yards and TDs Green would have if Andy would throw it 5 more yards down field????!!!!!!
What do you think would happen with a way faster receiver????

He could catch a 5-10 yard slant and go the distance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 12:53 PM)The_WiseOne Wrote: IMO John Ross would be a mistake I mean Dalton already under throws AJ Green most of the time now!!
AJ Green will have two to five yards on his guy then Andy throws it and AJ has to slow down to catch it Green makes Dalton look way better than he is you know how many more yards and TDs Green would have if Andy would throw it 5 more yards down field????!!!!!!
What do you think would happen with a way faster receiver????

Dalton supposedly being awful on deep throws has been proven false so many times through the years. It's not easy to find the numbers, but here's a PFF article from the midway point last season that lists Dalton as the 4th best deep passer in the NFL, using stats as proof:

Quote:4. Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals

The urgency to get the ball downfield to A.J. Green started early in the season, and has not slowed down for Andy Dalton through eight weeks. He’s currently second in deep-passing yards, with 697, as 56 percent of his deep-throw completions have found Green, who’s shown to be the game’s best deep-ball threat this season (first in deep-receiving yards, with 379). Dalton has been efficient on his 39 attempts, sitting in the top 10 in both adjusted completion percentage on deep passes, at 51.3, and quarterback rating, at 120.4. Ken Zampese’s aggressive play calls to push the ball vertically have Dalton tied for the sixth-highest deep-attempt percentage, at 13.5. What’s been most impressive, though, is that Dalton has done all of this without the presence of a true No. 2 receiver. Having a healthy Tyler Eifert back in the mix—with the tight ends’ ability to stretch the field from a number of positions—will help this offense attack in ways it would prefer to, as it appears the unit will need to carry the load down the stretch for a defense that is currently struggling.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-the-nfls-10-best-deep-passers-this-season/

Amazing that Green was leading the NFL in deep yardage with a QB that "underthrows him most of the time". 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 02:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Dalton supposedly being awful on deep throws has been proven false so many times through the years. It's not easy to find the numbers, but here's a PFF article from the midway point last season that lists Dalton as the 4th best deep passer in the NFL, using stats as proof:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-the-nfls-10-best-deep-passers-this-season/

Amazing that Green was leading the NFL in deep yardage with a QB that "underthrows him most of the time". 

I understand your point, and Andy was a lot better last year.  But Wiseone was right.  I cannot count the number of times Andy has underthrown Green.

I don't think it's necessarily an arm strength issue.  I've seen Andy overthrow Green as well.   But he tends to underthrow him.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well we're not exactly beggars, so we can be choosers. I'm fine with taking developmental WRs, but not with a top 10 pick. Any player drafted top 10 should be polished enough to start day 1, if he's not, give me the guy who is. Even if it's a different need or position.

So it looks like we have a stand off. Me and Milksheikh vs you and BengalDude. Where are we meeting to settle this like men?  Ninja

Both Ross and Davis i think would immediately start. We need speed and both of these guys have it. I am hoping it is Ross
cause his speed is the fastest ever recorded and he can run good routes and catch the ball. He is not just speed. This guy will
give DB's problems in the NFL, he is so fast sometimes you cannot even see his fakes in real time.

The parking lot it is. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 03:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Both Ross and Davis i think would immediately start. We need speed and both of these guys have it. I am hoping it is Ross
cause his speed is the fastest ever recorded and he can run good routes and catch the ball. He is not just speed. This guy will
give DB's problems in the NFL, he is so fast sometimes you cannot even see his fakes in real time.

The parking lot it is. Cool

No one truly knows the speed for Davis, so it's funny I keep hearing he has speed. We saw "speed" against a bunch of guys who won't play in the NFL. I think it's a big gamble to draft Davis expecting speed.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 04:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: No one truly knows the speed for Davis, so it's funny I keep hearing he has speed. We saw "speed" against a bunch of guys who won't play in the NFL. I think it's a big gamble to draft Davis expecting speed.

Sure looks a hell of a lot faster than Mike Williams on tape.

Guess playing against inferior players just made him look that much faster eh?

Just seems much more dynamic than Mike who relies on just going up for the ball.

Ross is my top receiver in this draft though for us as you can tell.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 05:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure looks a hell of a lot faster than Mike Williams on tape.

Guess playing against inferior players just made him look that much faster eh?

Just seems much more dynamic than Mike who relies on just going up for the ball.

Ross is my top receiver in this draft though for us as you can tell.

Many people have looked fast, ran slow, then they had to decide which was going to translate. He could be fast, but it sure seems weird everyone doesn't seem to care. Mike Williams may not have looked as fast on tape, but then again he was playing 1st round corner backs every week not guys who will be selling cars in May. By the way while Mike Williams is very good at high pointing the ball, his best route is a slant and he does that very very well. In comparison many of Davis's best plays were post routes against Low level D1 school slot corner backs. Both may be good, but people sure do like to look over Davis's issues.

I watched five games of tape for both, I prefer Williams in general and don't want either for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 03:06 PM)3wt Wrote: I understand your point, and Andy was a lot better last year.  But Wiseone was right.  I cannot count the number of times Andy has underthrown Green.

I don't think it's necessarily an arm strength issue.  I've seen Andy overthrow Green as well.   But he tends to underthrow him.
How many QB's consistently hit their receiver in stride on deep balls, though?  Especially with a larger WR, you err on the side of underthroeing because your guy has a good chance of winning the 50/50 ball.  Also, an overthrow eliminates the chance of a PI call.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 05:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: Many people have looked fast, ran slow, then they had to decide which was going to translate. He could be fast, but it sure seems weird everyone doesn't seem to care. Mike Williams may not have looked as fast on tape, but then again he was playing 1st round corner backs every week not guys who will be selling cars in May. By the way while Mike Williams is very good at high pointing the ball, his best route is a slant and he does that very very well. In comparison many of Davis's best plays were post routes against Low level D1 school slot corner backs. Both may be good, but people sure do like to look over Davis's issues.

I watched five games of tape for both, I prefer Williams in general and don't want either for the Bengals.

Cool, i understand your thoughts on both Davis and Williams.

I want Barnett more than anybody right now, but if we go WR i hope it is Ross.
Reply/Quote