Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Last 10 Super Bowl Winners...
- 33 total playoff games
- 2200 total plays
- 55/45 mix on pass/run (BALANCED)

Averages of 30.0 runs for 119.3 yards and 1.24 run TDs per game.

In our first game, we rushed 25 times for 83 yards without a TD.

Out of 33 playoff games by SB teams, only once did any team have 83 yards or less and 0 TDs (2014 Pats in the Super Bowl).

We need better going forward.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 07:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: - 33 total playoff games
- 2200 total plays

Out of 33 playoff games by SB teams, only once did any team have 83 yards or less and 0 TDs (2014 Pats in the Super Bowl).

Yep, the running game is one of the Bengals weakness.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
It should improve this week

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Mixon hasn’t had a big game since the Steelers the 2nd time. Burrow has been carrying the offense.

He’s either not fully healthy, or we just really wore him down during the 1st half of the season.

Reply/Quote
Line did pretty well in PP all things considered. As it has been for years, they seem to not be able to run and pass block well in the same game outside of a few rare instances. It's puzzling. They were also pretty dialed in on Mixon due to the last game.

Just need to turn those 3's into 6's.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 07:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: - 33 total playoff games
- 2200 total plays

Yep... And that Pats team in 14 should've lost that game to the Legion of Boom Seahawks. Playoff football is usually about running it, and playing good defense.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 07:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: - 33 total playoff games
- 2200 total plays

How much of that is because they run so many empty sets?
Reply/Quote
Looks like Burrow and Zac have to mix up this stat by winning with Burrow's arm. Wink Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 08:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon hasn’t had a big game since the Steelers the 2nd time. Burrow has been carrying the offense.

He’s either not fully healthy, or we just really wore him down during the 1st half of the season.

I was thinking he may not be fully healthy against the Raiders he was wincing a lot early. He also left the field late and got his ankle taped. 

Not sure about the timing but ha has seemed to struggle since Rieff got injured. Not that one guy makes the difference but in Mixons time here he seems to really run well in either a certain blocking scheme or when the lineman are doing they're job adequately.

No knock on Mixon but I do wish we would get Evans more involved in the pass game. 2 or 3 targets a game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 08:38 PM)jason Wrote: Yep... And that Pats team in 14 should've lost that game to the Legion of Boom Seahawks. Playoff football is usually about running it, and playing good defense.

I'd have to disagree here, only in the sense of playoff football is usually about your passing attack and defense, not running. The team who ends up passing the ball better usually ends up winning. There is very little correlation to a strong running performance and playoff success. Since 2010, we can only explain 3.5% of the difference in playoff victories if we look at the running game performance. When we look at passing game performance, we can explain about 25.5% of the difference in playoff victories. That's a massively significant difference.

You get into the playoffs and you throw the ball well and play good defense, you have a better chance of winning games. Yesterday is a prime example of this. 
Reply/Quote
Here's some other interesting postseason numbers:

Over the previous 10 seasons, QBs who led their conference in adjusted yards per attempt during the regular season made the Super Bowl 50% of the time.

Additionally, 85% of all the SB starters over the last 10 years finished in the top 5 in their conference. 

In last 5 Super Bowls, the number is 70% when leading in the category...with both conference leaders making it to the SB in the same year 3 times. 

Joe Burrow and Aaron Rodgers led their conferences this year.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 09:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's some other interesting postseason numbers:

Over the previous 10 seasons, QBs who led their conference in adjusted yards per attempt during the regular season made the Super Bowl 50% of the time.

Additionally, 85% of all the SB starters over the last 10 years finished in the top 5 in their conference. 

In last 5 Super Bowls, the number is 70% when leading in the category...with both conference leaders making it to the SB in the same year 3 times. 

Rematch!

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 09:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's some other interesting postseason numbers:

I favor this stat! 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 09:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Rematch!

At this point, nothing would surprise me. This has been one crazy ass season.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 09:11 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'd have to disagree here, only in the sense of playoff football is usually about your passing attack and defense, not running. The team who ends up passing the ball better usually ends up winning. There is very little correlation to a strong running performance and playoff success. Since 2010, we can only explain 3.5% of the difference in playoff victories if we look at the running game performance. When we look at passing game performance, we can explain about 25.5% of the difference in playoff victories. That's a massively significant difference.

You get into the playoffs and you throw the ball well and play good defense, you have a better chance of winning games. Yesterday is a prime example of this. 

Championship teams do both well, generally speaking.

Yes, the team with the better passing attack wins more often, but you're not going to get there if you can't run effectively and balance your offense. That's the point of this thread.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 10:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Championship teams do both well, generally speaking.

Yes, the team with the better passing attack wins more often, but you're not going to get there if you can't run effectively and balance your offense. That's the point of this thread.

Yeah, I get what you were going after. I was just disagreeing with the statement that the playoffs is all about running and defense. A team's ability to run becomes very important in short yardage situations and in the redzone. The Bengals aren't very good at either which is where Cinci gets into trouble. They definitely need to make that a focus in the offseason. I don't see the trend changing during the playoffs after looking at how they have performed all season, but fingers crossed that they do!
Reply/Quote
Scheme & play calling is a factor. Putting Burrow under center, with Mixon and an H-back/fullback behind him, with two TE's is a look that they should have more of. Being able to line up & shove it right down a team like KC's throat would be refreshing. I wouldn't want a return to Marvin's too-conservative offense, but there are times when you need to get really basic.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 08:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon hasn’t had a big game since the Steelers the 2nd time. Burrow has been carrying the offense.

Mixon has a tendency to have a career game in yards, then next game barely hit 60 yards... 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Truth be told I'd rather have the rematch against SF and see Joe just stomp them into the ground just mercilessly.. Like a goey turd stuck to a dancing elephants foot.. Not that I hold a grudge or anything against SF.. Oh wait.. Whatever
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote