Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Dolphin game was a big turning point.
We beat the Fins 27-17 in 2018 to run our record to 4-1.  Most people had been outraged that Marvin was brought back after the 2017 season, but 5 games into 2018 we were looking pretty good.  We already had wins against the Falcons who had won a playoff game the year before; the Ravens who would be 2018 AFC North Champions; and the Colts who would also win a playoff game that year.  Our only loss was to the the Panthers who had won 11 games the year before.  We had outscored our opponents by 23 points which was 7th best in the league.

While 2016 and 2017 were losing seasons we had won over 42% of our games and were far from the worst team in the league.  At that point in the '18 season we were just 2 games under .500 (17-19-1) since our 5 year playoff run had ended in 2015.  And the next week Joe Mixon scored a td with just 1:20 left in the game to give us a 21-20 lead over the Steelers.

It looked like we were ready to turn everything around,  but.  .  .  

With just 10 seconds left in the game Roethlisberger hit Antonio Brown for a 31 yard td and everything went completely to shit.

Since then we have only won 17% of our games (6-31-1).  Even with the 4-1 2018 start included we have the worst record in the league over the last three years.

This is not just a dip or a slump.  This is rock bottom.

And the the dumpster fire started after beating the Dolphins.
Reply/Quote
Didn’t we play them last year and lose in OT after the quickest scoring in NFL history?
Reply/Quote
Fred mentioned it in his post, but the real turning point I think was the last minute of the Steelers game. The Bengals scored to take the lead with just over a minute left, and were possibly on their way to 5-1 while slaying their nemesis. Of course, what I think most everyone feared turned out to be right- the Bengals left too much time on the clock. I think 2018 would have been a playoff year if they win that game, barring unforeseen injuries thereafter.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 07:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Didn’t we play them last year and lose in OT after the quickest scoring in NFL history?

Yeah.  We had a miracle comeback to get to overtime (I think there was an onsides in there) and lost like 38-35.  We also allowed Fizpatrick go off for a career day is passing yards.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah.  We had a miracle comeback to get to overtime (I think there was an onsides in there) and lost like 38-35.  We also allowed Fizpatrick go off for a career day is passing yards.

Yep I remember because we nearly lost our shot at Burrow because of it. Andy and ZT doing their best to ruin things lol
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:18 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Yep I remember because we nearly lost our shot at Burrow because of it. Andy and ZT doing their best to ruin things lol

We might have been stuck with Herbert.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah.  We had a miracle comeback to get to overtime (I think there was an onsides in there) and lost like 38-35.  We also allowed Fizpatrick go off for a career day is passing yards.

That sure was one interesting gameday thread.  Seemed like 3/4 were rooting for a Bengals' loss and about lost their shit when we tied it up  Smirk   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:05 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Fred mentioned it in his post, but the real turning point I think was the last minute of the Steelers game.  The Bengals scored to take the lead with just over a minute left, and were possibly on their way to 5-1 while slaying their nemesis.  Of course, what I think most everyone feared turned out to be right- the Bengals left too much time on the clock.  I think 2018 would have been a playoff year if they win that game, barring unforeseen injuries thereafter.

Wasn't it the year our defense was epically bad?

That's why the Steelers moving the ball so quickly for the win was really no shock.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We might have been stuck with Herbert.

I wouldn’t wish that on the poor kid.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah.  We had a miracle comeback to get to overtime (I think there was an onsides in there) and lost like 38-35.  We also allowed Fizpatrick go off for a career day is passing yards.

We were down 23 points in the 4th quarter.  Then Dalton threw three tds, passed for a 2p conversion, and ran for a 2P conversion.  We converted on 4th down twice and recovered an onside kick.

Greatest comeback in team history.

Then we still lose in overtime
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We were down 23 points in the 4th quarter.  Then Dalton threw three tds, passed for a 2p conversion, and ran for a 2P conversion.  We converted on 4th down twice and recovered an onside kick.

Greatest comeback in team history.

Then we still lose in overtime

It was damn entertaining, that's for sure.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:43 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Wasn't it the year our defense was epically bad?

That's why the Steelers moving the ball so quickly for the win was really no shock.

The winning score was on 4th and short, if I recall correctly.

And it was evident pre-snap that there was no inside leverage on AB was the target in the bunched formation and he would have a straight run for the completion and score because the corners were playing outside of them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 07:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We beat the Fins 27-17 in 2018 to run our record to 4-1.  Most people had been outraged that Marvin was brought back after the 2017 season, but 5 games into 2018 we were looking pretty good.  We already had wins against the Falcons who had won a playoff game the year before; the Ravens who would be 2018 AFC North Champions; and the Colts who would also win a playoff game that year.  Our only loss was to the the Panthers who had won 11 games the year before.  We had outscored our opponents by 23 points which was 7th best in the league.

While 2016 and 2017 were losing seasons we had won over 42% of our games and were far from the worst team in the league.  At that point in the '18 season we were just 2 games under .500 (17-19-1) since our 5 year playoff run had ended in 2015.  And the next week Joe Mixon scored a td with just 1:20 left in the game to give us a 21-20 lead over the Steelers.

It looked like we were ready to turn everything around,  but.  .  .  

With just 10 seconds left in the game Roethlisberger hit Antonio Brown for a 31 yard td and everything went completely to shit.

Since then we have only won 17% of our games (6-31-1).  Even with the 4-1 2018 start included we have the worst record in the league over the last three years.

This is not just a dip or a slump.  This is rock bottom.

And the the dumpster fire started after beating the Dolphins.
I remember that. The Stealers ran an illegal pick play and took Dre out...
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 11:23 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The winning score was on 4th and short, if I recall correctly.

And it was evident pre-snap that there was no inside leverage on AB was the target in the bunched formation and he would have a straight run for the completion and score because the corners were playing outside of them.

“4th and Teryl” Whatever

Worst DC in team history, even worse than Bresnahan and Anarumo.
Reply/Quote
Probably lost by 2 tds this time.
Reply/Quote
Living in Florida, I have watched the Phins play several times this season. Early in the season I marked this as a winnable game. Sadly, that is no longer the case. Parker,Gesicki, Fitz, and Gaskin are going to have a field day. And, their defense is going to wreak havoc and probably score a TD.

I see Miami winning this game easily, this time.
Reply/Quote
Can we really beat any team in the NFL at this point? In my eyes, we are as bad as it gets outside of maybe the Jets, but that may even be a grudge match for us.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 02:00 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Living in Florida, I have watched the Phins play several times this season. Early in the season I marked this as a winnable game. Sadly, that is no longer the case. Parker,Gesicki, Fitz, and Gaskin are going to have a field day. And, their defense is going to wreak havoc and probably score a TD.

I see Miami winning this game easily, this time.

Such a well coached team. Man am I jealous of that hire.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 07:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Didn’t we play them last year and lose in OT after the quickest scoring in NFL history?

2Tds and 2 2 point conversions under a minute in regulation to force OT only to lose.

Formerly QueenCitySouth 1799 posts
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 07:22 PM)BengalBacker71 Wrote: 2Tds and 2 2 point conversions under a minute in regulation to force OT only to lose.

Formerly QueenCitySouth 1799 posts

Kinda sums up our Franchises history as a whole. Dont ya think?
Reply/Quote