Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Hits
Tonight I got the chance to speak to Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt, on Sirius XM, about the Bengals draft. Here are the highlights of the conversation.

1. With the WRs off the board they felt WJ3 was the right pick. Alex thought it was great that they took him right before Pitt. Said it just adds fuel to the rivalry. Gil said he thinks he is the defensive playmaker that the Bengals have lacked in the secondary. Thinks he could be one of the best CBs in the NFL in a couple years.

2. They actually think Boyd is going to do big things. He might be the best receiver in this draft. Just what the Bengals needed. Said Charles Davis called him the technician. They even mentioned the word BEAST which they don't use often.

3. I asked if Gil could talk a little about Vigil since I didn't know much about him. He said we should be very excited about him. Very athletic, smart, and a true tackler. Will be our starting MLB in a couple years and for many years to come.

4. They thought Billings and Westerman were great value picks. Both being nasty and strong fitting well in the AFC North. Thought overall the Bengals had a great draft. They think that they got quite a few picks that will be the heir apparents to aging starters now.

WJ3 - Adam Jones
Vigil - Maualuga
Billings - Peko

Westerman will get a lot of playing time if not become a starter. Boyd will make us forget about the losses at WR this off-season.

Really excited about this draft. Hope it is as special as I think it is. They seemed to think so. Can't wait for the year to start.

WHO DEY!!!
Reply/Quote
Love the hype but I'll believe it when I see it.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 01:33 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Love the hype but I'll believe it when I see it.

That is how it always is. Nothing will be answered until they get on the field. It could turn out to be a bust of a draft class. At least they aren't saying that the Bengals did terrible, which they used to say quite a bit.
Reply/Quote
How did you get the opportunity to speak with those guys? Called in?

Gil Brandt always seems a little senile on NFL.com when I read his stuff. I think he used to have it, but may be trailing off. Always seems to have a strange out of the box opinion.

Cool stuff though, I think the consensus is that the Bengals knocked it out of the park, yet again, and that we almost did better in the 4th and 5th rounds than in the 1st and 2nd. Nice when we have to argue that kind of stuff.
Reply/Quote
Look in enough places and you can pretty much find someone, somewhere, raving about the draft of all 32 teams in the NFL. Truth is, even from the experts and those in-the-know, it's all conjecture until these guys play for a few years.
Reply/Quote
Boyd being the best WR in the draft is a little over the top. If we were looking for a #1 WR I would not be thrilled with Boyd. However he may be able to step in and contribute immediately as a #3 or #2, and since that is all we need to keep our passing game clicking I am well satisfied with the pick.
Reply/Quote
I kinda like our late saftey too he probly wont be a starter for us At S but his work ethic and mean streak will go a far ways on special teams also has the making of a monster backer / LB S hybrid.... but better for run stuffing than coverage.. (ie roy williams before he broke)
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:12 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: How did you get the opportunity to speak with those guys? Called in?

Gil Brandt always seems a little senile on NFL.com when I read his stuff. I think he used to have it, but may be trailing off. Always seems to have a strange out of the box opinion.

Cool stuff though, I think the consensus is that the Bengals knocked it out of the park, yet again, and that we almost did better in the 4th and 5th rounds than in the 1st and 2nd. Nice when we have to argue that kind of stuff.

Yeah I called in. He does go off on tangents but he still has a great deal of knowledge when it comes to players and what they can do. I enjoy talking to them. They even gave me a nickname of "Who Dey Paul". There were a lot of Paul's calling I guess close to me. So he said since I always talk Bengals he will make me Who Dey Paul.

It does seem people, again, are liking our draft. I have heard some saying that they need to start putting the front office of the Bengals up near the top with the best of them. Nice to hear since it used to be exact opposite.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 12:16 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Look in enough places and you can pretty much find someone, somewhere, raving about the draft of all 32 teams in the NFL.  Truth is, even from the experts and those in-the-know, it's all conjecture until these guys play for a few years.

I think we all know that. Fortunately for us we don't have to look far to get raving reviews from people. I thought that it was nice that my question was about our 3rd rounder and they started going on about all the draft picks. We know it is only good if it happens on the field.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 01:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Boyd being the best WR in the draft is a little over the top.  If we were looking for a #1 WR I would not be thrilled with Boyd.  However he may be able to step in and contribute immediately as a #3 or #2, and since that is all we need to keep our passing game clicking I am well satisfied with the pick.

Honestly I wouldn't want any of the receivers to be our #1 receiver, not just because we have AJ. I was not really impressed with this years crop. There was not a consensus #1 at all. The one that some were saying is the Bengals didn't even have rated as a first round talent. If these guys came out the year with AJ and Julio they wouldn't have been considered first rounders. I think that Boyd is very versatile which makes him a little more valuable. I think they will get him up to par with route running. Plus I think they were also talking about for our team in general. He was the best for our team. They love his hands though and that is the most important part of a receiver. We will see of course. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 01:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I kinda like our late saftey too he probly wont be a starter for us At S but his work ethic and mean streak will go a far ways on special teams also has the making of a monster backer / LB S hybrid....  but better for run stuffing than coverage.. (ie roy williams before he broke)

Didn't know much about Fej, as I will call him. If a 7th rounder can come in and be good at special teams at the start that is really all you can ask. They can then work themselves up to more playing tim.
Reply/Quote