Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Bengals Mail (Coley Harvey)
Here's a few quick bits from Coley's last two mail/answer sessions...

On AJ McCarron...
Even after signing veteran Terrelle Pryor earlier this month to compete during training camp, Cincinnati's priorities for now remain with the player it spent a draft pick on last year. Maybe if McCarron were in a different stage of his career the Bengals explore the practice squad possibility. For now, though, it doesn't look like they would even think about that with him because not only do they want to ensure keeping him, but they also want to see how well he pushes Dalton.

On the KR/PR options...
Since it's so early on the offseason calendar, Matt, I can assure you, all options are on the table at kick returner and punt returner. Denarius MooreCobi Hamilton,Rex BurkheadCedric PeermanJames WrightOnterio McCalebb and Derron Smith will all line up at the respective return positions if the coaches ask them to beginning next week. Of that group, I could most see Moore, Hamilton and McCalebb get return opportunities throughout the spring and summer. But that doesn't mean they'll end up there in early September if they each make the team.

Remember, Brandon Tate has returned at both spots throughout his Bengals career, and will be expected to do the same now that he's back for another year. Adam Jones likely will be the team's primary punt returner again. Seventh-round draft pick Mario Alford should warrant his share of attention at both positions this summer, after starring as a kick returner in college. Cincinnati definitely has options, and will give all potential returners chances to take Tate and Jones' jobs. At this point, though, it's hard seeing anyone outside of Tate, Jones or Alford handling the primary return duties.

On Whit's situation...

They most certainly could part ways with Pro Bowl offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth after this season, Joel. The likelihood of that happening, though? At this point it seems rather slim. As you may know, much has been made about team president Mike Brown's knack for being loyal to players he's drafted. Domata Peko and Rey Maualuga are two recent examples of career Bengals who have been given extensions under Brown's watch. That track record makes Whitworth, the team's unquestioned leader and driving force behind the positive change in locker room culture, likely of being renewed.

On the LB competition...

Speaking of the linebacker position battle, thanks for the inquiry, Trevor. I'm with you on Rey Maualugaand Vincent Rey. I also agree that A.J. Hawk, P.J. Dawson and Emmanuel Lamur make the team. As I mentioned above, I think the final linebacker spot (for now I've got the Bengals taking seven on the 53-man roster) comes down to DiManche and Flowers. Special teams play could be the determining factor, which is why I gave DiManche the edge for now. But Flowers' ability to play a hybrid safety/cover role helps him. As for Nico Johnson, I'm thinking he's among the odd men out. But again, special teams will be a key factor for the guys on the back end of the linebacker depth chart. That's certainly where Johnson would find himself. As for Burfict being on the physically unable to perform list, that's far from certain at this time, but it definitely could happen. If it happens, Johnson's and/or Flowers' jobs may be safe until he returns.

On UDFA's making the 53...

The Bengals are just bringing back so much talent on the returning roster, and it's hard seeing them truly letting go of any of the draft picks since this was such a developmental draft for them. Of the undrafted players, I'm most intrigued to watch defensive tackle DeShawn Williams, running back Terrell Watson, fullback Mark Weisman, centerChris Jasperse, safety Erick Dargan, cornerback Troy Hill, safety Floyd Raven Sr. and tight end John Peters. It'll also be interesting to see what happens this year with past undrafted players James Wilder Jr., Cobi Hamilton and Onterio McCalebb. But no, at this point, I can't see anyone from that group making anything other than Cincinnati's practice squad this year.

Read more here.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for posting.

I agree 100% on the AJ McCarron situation. If we put him on the practice squad I guarantee he will get picked up by another team in a heartbeat.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 02:30 PM)magikod Wrote: Thanks for posting.

I agree 100% on the AJ McCarron situation. If we put him on the practice squad I guarantee he will get picked up by another team in a heartbeat.

Agreed. If he's healthy, he needs to get a lot of playing time in the preseason, and if he performs relatively well, he needs to be on the 53.
Reply/Quote
There is zero reason for Tate to be on the roster. We know he sucks as a WR. He's an average at best kick returner.
Time to stop beating that dead horse and give someone else a chance.
Reply/Quote
Oh and we have the worst backup QB situation in the NFL probably
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 02:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Agreed. If he's healthy, he needs to get a lot of playing time in the preseason, and if he performs relatively well, he needs to be on the 53.

This year is make or break for Dalton. I'd be watching over my shoulder if I was him.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 05:23 PM)magikod Wrote: This year is make or break for Dalton. I'd be watching over my shoulder if I was him.

Watching who over his shoulder? You cannot seriously be talking about McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 05:38 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Watching who over his shoulder? You cannot seriously be talking about McCarron.

If he has another year as a 25th ranked QB in the NFL he better be looking over his back for anyone that can throw a pass, to include a proven winner such as McCarron.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 05:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If he has another year as a 25th ranked QB in the NFL he better  be looking over his back for anyone that can throw a pass, to include a proven winner such as McCarron.

This. If it ain't happening by the fifth year, it's probably never happening. This has to be make or break.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 06:46 PM)McC Wrote: This.  If it ain't happening by the fifth year, it's probably never happening.  This has to be make or break.

That would be the common logical way of thinking about it. However, It may really depend upon how attached to Andy that Mike Brown has grown. Many of us also thought is was time to send Maualuga and Peko packing, prior to their latest contracts.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 05:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If he has another year as a 25th ranked QB in the NFL he better  be looking over his back for anyone that can throw a pass, to include a proven winner such as McCarron.

Please refresh me on the NFL winning tradition of McCarron because somewhere along the line I missed it. Dalton was a proven winner in college as well as Pryor was. McElroy was a proven winner in college was he not?
Reply/Quote
I think Hill and Watson has a shot to make the squad. You've got a shot to make the 53 as a UDFA here. If someone Wilder, Watson, can bring something close to what Peerman do on teams they should get the shot. Hill will be in a battle with Ghee, and CLEW and there's a chance there. Since we refuse to see what we have at corner with CLEW, and we know what we have in GHEE.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 07:05 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Please refresh me on the NFL winning tradition of McCarron because somewhere along the line I missed it. Dalton was a proven winner in college as well as Pryor was. McElroy was a proven winner in college was he not?

Yes all those you listed were winners College; as were numerous others. However, only 7 in the history of College football have won back to back National Championships; Dalton, Pryor, or McElroy are not 1 of the 7.

As to the 1st sentence: given this board is new but that could be the most ignorant sentence typed since its inception. No QB has a winning tradition in the NFL if they have not yet been given a chance. Bucs should most likely sit Winston because he doesn't have a winning tradition in the NFL; even though he is a proven winner.

If you don't want to think McCarron can push Dalton; that's on you; but according to the OP it appears the Bengals are interested to see if he can.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 07:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes all those you listed were winners College; as were numerous others. However, only 7 in the history of College football have won back to back National Championships; Dalton, Pryor, or McElroy are not 1 of the 7.

As to the 1st sentence: given this board is new but that could be the most ignorant sentence typed since its inception. No QB has a winning tradition in the NFL if they have not yet been given a chance. Bucs should most likely sit Winston because he doesn't have a winning tradition in the NFL; even though he is a proven winner.  

If you don't want to think McCarron can push Dalton; that's on you; but according to the OP it appears the Bengals are interested to see if he can.

Slight difference - The unproven McCarron is backing up a four year veteran with 40 wins as a starting QB.  Winston is unproven and is backing up who????  Winston was also the first pick in the draft while McC was a fifth round pick.  I know the point you're trying to make but you can't do it with the Winston argument.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 07:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes all those you listed were winners College; as were numerous others. However, only 7 in the history of College football have won back to back National Championships; Dalton, Pryor, or McElroy are not 1 of the 7.

Saying McCarron "won" those championships is the same as saying Dalton carries us to the playoffs every year. I don't think you'd agree to that though.

McCarron did really well handing the ball off for two years and hoping his WR could bail him out on some bad plays.
His signature throws in college was a screen pass and a bad throw the WR adjusted to and took to the house.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 08:10 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Saying McCarron "won" those championships is the same as saying Dalton carries us to the playoffs every year. I don't think you'd agree to that though.

McCarron did really well handing the ball off for two years and hoping his WR could bail him out on some bad plays.
His signature throws in college was a screen pass and a bad throw the WR adjusted to and took to the house.

Why do folks make things up? McCarron had great numbers as a passer. He set a school record by throwing 30 TDs his Junior year (before anybody says look at Andy's TDs; McCarron also only threw 3 INTs that year). I'm not the one that stated he is 1 of 7 college QBs to win back to back Championships; college history is. Bama didn't go for a 3-peat most likely because of their QB play. It is not too far fetched to say McCarron won the second BCS game. He threw for 264 yards, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs. When Andy does that in a playoff game, get back with me.

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if Whit had another 2-3 years as the starter and he should until he shows signs of decline he is still playing at an elite level. We've shown in the past we have no problem letting early round picks ride the bench so I don't see the rookies being an issue for Whitworth unless they outperform him at some point.
Reply/Quote

Agreed. He can't have a repeat of last year. I don't think he will though. Not with a healthier and deeper core of receivers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 08:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why do folks make things up? McCarron had great numbers as a passer. He set a school record by throwing 30 TDs his Junior year (before anybody says look at Andy's TDs; McCarron also only threw 3 INTs that year). I'm not the one that stated he is 1 of 7 college QBs to win back to back Championships; college history is. Bama didn't go for a 3-peat most likely because of their QB play. It is not too far fetched to say McCarron won the second BCS game. He threw for 264 yards, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs. When Andy does that in a playoff game, get back with me.

He was the MVP of the Rose Bowl vs Wisconsin. Obviously his clutch college performance hasn't translated to the NFL for whatever reason.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Agreed, Dalton stinks the place up again and it most likely will be Sayonara to Andy. And it baffles me how - at that point anyone would think he's irreplaceable ?
Reply/Quote