Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latham does not remind me of Ogbuehi
(04-12-2024, 12:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Specifics please?
Many have Latham listed as a pretty safe prospect.
He's been Alabama's RT for the past two seasons. This past year, Latham was 2nd-team All-American and 1st-team SEC.

I must have watched the wrong film but I think the main takeaway is that Proctor was by far the weakest link of the chain but the team still consistently ran left most of the time from the two games I watched. Teams also blitzed to the left - Latham actually looks like a better pass blocker than a run blocker so that could be a good sign but I didn't really see a matchup that gave me confidence that he could properly deal with stunts and blitzes against NFL talent. In the run game, he catches a lot but has the strength to throw his opponent. You typically don't see a lot of push that is indicative of 1st round right tackles and I think I heard a scout call it the 'death hug' in the past. He looks good one on one pass blocking though, I question at the NFL level if he will be taken advantage of in ways that he wasn't tested in college. Just a hunch.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 02:51 PM)Synric Wrote: The big thing about JC Latham is that HE is worried about his foot speed which makes me worried about his foot speed. 

His foot speed is terrible and that's why he was getting beat inside all of the time....that would be my guess why he didn't workout.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 11:55 PM)pulses Wrote: His foot speed is terrible and that's why he was getting beat inside all of the time....that would be my guess why he didn't workout.

I'm not even talking about the testing more about his penalties. Latham is one of the most penalized players in the draft class specifically False Starts with 12 over his two seasons as a starter (8 in '22, 4 in '23). 

We talk about floor and ceiling with players but JC Latham is more of what you see is what you get. When he sets and gets hands on a guy it's over with his length, grip strength, and anchor but if he has to chase the rabbit he is going to lose fast. His heavy feet also limit his rush offense range but he is a really good gap and inside zone blocker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 11:11 PM)DYT-Flyer Wrote: I must have watched the wrong film but I think the main takeaway is that Proctor was by far the weakest link of the chain but the team still consistently ran left most of the time from the two games I watched. Teams also blitzed to the left - Latham actually looks like a better pass blocker than a run blocker so that could be a good sign but I didn't really see a matchup that gave me confidence that he could properly deal with stunts and blitzes against NFL talent. In the run game, he catches a lot but has the strength to throw his opponent. You typically don't see a lot of push that is indicative of 1st round right tackles and I think I heard a scout call it the 'death hug' in the past. He looks good one on one pass blocking though, I question at the NFL level if he will be taken advantage of in ways that he wasn't tested in college. Just a hunch.

Not bad criticisms of Latham's game. He isn't the best run blocker as he is slow and plodding with heavy feet. The way to take advantage 
of him is similar to how you take advantage of Orlando Brown with speed. I wish Trent Brown could help Latham with this, but he cannot 
which is why I am for Mims over Latham.

Mims has quick feet and great athleticism, the things you cannot teach and he is smart and a giant. Just needs to stay healthy and get 
more reps and Mims could be the best OL in this class.

(04-13-2024, 10:58 AM)Synric Wrote: I'm not even talking about the testing more about his penalties. Latham is one of the most penalized players in the draft class specifically False Starts with 12 over his two seasons as a starter (8 in '22, 4 in '23). 

We talk about floor and ceiling with players but JC Latham is more of what you see is what you get. When he sets and gets hands on a guy it's over with his length, grip strength, and anchor but if he has to chase the rabbit he is going to lose fast. His heavy feet also limit his rush offense range but he is a really good gap and inside zone blocker.

Don't like the penalties on Latham, that gives me pause as well as the heavy feet.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 11:11 PM)DYT-Flyer Wrote: I must have watched the wrong film but I think the main takeaway is that Proctor was by far the weakest link of the chain but the team still consistently ran left most of the time from the two games I watched. Teams also blitzed to the left - Latham actually looks like a better pass blocker than a run blocker so that could be a good sign but I didn't really see a matchup that gave me confidence that he could properly deal with stunts and blitzes against NFL talent. In the run game, he catches a lot but has the strength to throw his opponent. You typically don't see a lot of push that is indicative of 1st round right tackles and I think I heard a scout call it the 'death hug' in the past. He looks good one on one pass blocking though, I question at the NFL level if he will be taken advantage of in ways that he wasn't tested in college. Just a hunch.

A lot of that can come down to what the opponents did, not necessarily what talent the player has.
The biggest thing for me in a division with good pass rushers who attack the right side of the OL is a good pass blocking RT.
I think Latham can be that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2024, 02:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not bad criticisms of Latham's game. He isn't the best run blocker as he is slow and plodding with heavy feet. The way to take advantage 
of him is similar to how you take advantage of Orlando Brown with speed. I wish Trent Brown could help Latham with this, but he cannot 
which is why I am for Mims over Latham.

Mims has quick feet and great athleticism, the things you cannot teach and he is smart and a giant. Just needs to stay healthy and get 
more reps and Mims could be the best OL in this class.

Don't like the penalties on Latham, that gives me pause as well as the heavy feet.

Just seems like a boring pick that the club would have chosen with Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2024, 10:58 AM)Synric Wrote: I'm not even talking about the testing more about his penalties. Latham is one of the most penalized players in the draft class specifically False Starts with 12 over his two seasons as a starter (8 in '22, 4 in '23). 

If he gets beat alot on the outside he'll be a better Guard in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2024, 12:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Specifics please?
Many have Latham listed as a pretty safe prospect.
He's been Alabama's RT for the past two seasons. This past year, Latham was 2nd-team All-American and 1st-team SEC.

Can u tell me the last bama tackle who was worth picking up the fifth year option?
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 07:23 AM)pulses Wrote: If he gets beat alot on the outside he'll be a better Guard in the NFL.

He doesn't. JC Latham has a really nice set up in pass protection with a variety of techniques which is expected of a 2 year IMG Academy student and 3 years at Bama. 

JC Latham is a better prospect than Darnell Wright. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 07:40 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Can u tell me the last bama tackle who was worth picking up the fifth year option?

They are not JC Latham. 

Scout the Player not the Helmet newbie. Dead Horse

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2024, 10:32 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't see the comparison at all. Ced was "soft". Latham is a bull.

Guyton remind me of Ced.

And Ced was never mentioned as a top 15 type pick... and this draft actually is deeper at RT than Ceds draft class
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 08:04 AM)Synric Wrote: He doesn't. JC Latham has a really nice set up in pass protection with a variety of techniques which is expected of a 2 year IMG Academy student and 3 years at Bama. 

JC Latham is a better prospect than Darnell Wright. 

I think so as well and we all really wanted Darnell Wright last year who struggled as a rookie.

(04-16-2024, 08:06 AM)Synric Wrote: They are not JC Latham. 

Scout the Player not the Helmet newbie. Dead Horse

Wink

Agree, Latham has his weaknesses, but I think he will be the one Bama OL that will be more than decent in the NFL, unlike the recent ones.
Reply/Quote
He is aware of his weaknesses, but I think he will have to be knocked down a few notches. I still believe in Carmen, the two could be a real tandem.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 01:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think so as well and we all really wanted Darnell Wright last year who struggled as a rookie.

Wink

Agree, Latham has his weaknesses, but I think he will be the one Bama OL that will be more than decent in the NFL, unlike the recent ones.

What is your opinion on Trente Jones?
Reply/Quote
I agree with PFF, Latham is a day one starter

Physically, Latham is a dream offensive tackle, placing well above the 50th percentile at the position in height, weight and length. Yet, he moves like a player who is 40 pounds lighter. His foot speed and coordination are impressive. He has the flexibility to sit low in his stance at the line of scrimmage for good leverage.
Reply/Quote