Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawson Buzz
I love everything about this draft class lawson included. sure we have some superstar or bust type characters, but who cares would you prefer the mediocre players like hunt that we have been drafting for the last 5 years. Atkins, Billings, and now lawson in the 4th round. if they pan out like Atkins did than the 4th round may just be our money shot round.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I remember there was a lot of hype around Geno when he got drafted and started mini camp. I dismissed it and said trade him for haynesworth boy aren't​ you glad I am not GM.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 03:45 PM)J24 Wrote: I remember there was a lot of hype around Geno when he got drafted and started mini camp. I dismissed it and said trade him for haynesworth boy aren't you glad I am not GM.

I remember the first tape I saw on Geno I was on the bengals forums arguing with people that he was the poor man's warren sapp.  Turned out pretty good

Do you realize that Carlos Dunlap is currently the 2nd most productive DE ever drafted by the Bengals behind Justin Smith.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 03:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, he did also mention versatility.  Meaning he can play in the up position, as well as being comfortable in the down position. Ninja

You come off as an easygoing normal individual and then you say something like this?

I laugh so hard my dog came running inside

This is so rich.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Coach Marvin Lewis has been looking for an athlete like Lawson since he's been head coach and has not found them. We'll see if the coaches can use them correctly and develop them into what I think he could be which is an upright linebacker that can Rush and be moved around. I would like him to be played at Sam backer.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 02:22 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I don't think we will see much of him this year. Between Willis, him, and everyone else. Maybe a few snaps a game, if that, later in the year. Depends on how camp goes.

With all due respect, bullshit.  They will not be able to keep him off the field.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 04:26 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Coach Marvin Lewis has been looking for an athlete like Lawson since he's been head coach and has not found them.  We'll see if the coaches can use them correctly and develop them into what I think he could be which is an upright linebacker that can Rush and be moved around.  I would like him to be played at Sam backer.

I believe that we did have that guy, in David Pollack.  Tragedy that he never got to realize his potential.  Same might be applied to other picks, throughout the years, guys like Keith Rivers and Odell Thurman.  Yeah, I realize that Rivers came back to play a full career, but he just never was the same after the dirty shot that broke his jaw.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 04:46 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Absolutely correct. That, and he has been mostly misused since being drafted as well.

Yep. His best use would be keeping another team's bench warm.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 03:21 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I take it with a grain of salt honestly. I like Lawson, but words only go so far. Remember when Marvin Lewis said Dennard was the best/most ready CB that ever came in under him? We're on year 4 and he still isn't a starter.

Without pads usually it's the WR's, RB's, and DB's that look good.

To hear a LB/DE is turning heads is nice. Lawson must have a lot of athleticism/speed.

I definitely take it with a grain of salt...because until they wear pads it doesn't really matter...but it's a good early sign.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 02:22 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I don't think we will see much of him this year. Between Willis, him, and everyone else. Maybe a few snaps a game, if that, later in the year. Depends on how camp goes.

And that would be a mistake on our part. There is no reason barring injury that Lawson and Willis shouldn't be in the primary rotation. MJ isn't very good, Clarke has done nothing, Sims sucks, Thompson is always hurt, Gilberry is trash. These guys need to be released. That would leave us with Dunlap, Atkins, Billings, Glasgow, Hardison, and DeShawn Williams so I think Willis and Lawson would not only have a good shot of playing but they might make it hard for guys like Hardison and Williams to see snaps.

I'm sure that we won't release most of the players I mentioned, but we should as they produce limited numbers and are essentially blocking guys who could be and should be better.
Reply/Quote
We took guys like Jonathan Fanene and Frostee Rucker and made them into decent pass rushing options by using them in rotation. I think we do the same with Lawson and Willis year 1 which will also help Clark and Johnson's production as well. When you can send waves of guys in that are fresh guys will get home based on pure motor.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 03:43 PM)Okeana Wrote: I love everything about this draft class lawson included.  sure we have some superstar or bust type characters, but who cares would you prefer the mediocre players like hunt that we have been drafting for the last 5 years.  Atkins, Billings, and now lawson in the 4th round.  if they pan out like Atkins did than the 4th round may just be our money shot round.

The only pick I didn't care for was JJ Dielman, but time will tell. He only had five games at C before injury, but perhaps he can become a good C.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
A big fan of Lawson here.

(05-07-2017, 11:46 AM)Okeana Wrote: who's to say he wasn't ?  honestly that guy has been injured so much we will never know.  Compared to kirkpatrik he was probably a CB savant lol

Exactly.

The guy has been injured every time he gets a shot. Apparently fans have to label him something though.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 10:43 AM)Crowe Wrote: And that would be a mistake on our part. There is no reason barring injury that Lawson and Willis shouldn't be in the primary rotation. MJ isn't very good, Clarke has done nothing, Sims sucks, Thompson is always hurt, Gilberry is trash. These guys need to be released. That would leave us with Dunlap, Atkins, Billings, Glasgow, Hardison, and DeShawn Williams so I think Willis and Lawson would not only have a good shot of playing but they might make it hard for guys like Hardison and Williams to see snaps.

I'm sure that we won't release most of the players I mentioned, but we should as they produce limited numbers and are essentially blocking guys who could be and should be better.

I think Clarke will be released. He has flashed at times, but has not shown consistency and his progress has been slow. I think this class will overtake him....
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Clarke will be released. He has flashed at times, but has not shown consistency and his progress has been slow. I think this class will overtake him....

Nope, still on rookie contract. He will be a rotational guy along with the Rookies. We aren't only keeping 3 ends as Lawson looks like they will count him in the LB count.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Clarke will be released. He has flashed at times, but has not shown consistency and his progress has been slow. I think this class will overtake him....

Didn't Clarke have more sacks than MJ?  MJ might be on a bigger bubble than Clarke.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Every single player drafted or undrafted has all the potential in the world. Pretty safe to say that nearly all of them were standout players in high school and to some degree college.. Some did great in college, some average, but none of them did nothing in college. 
The hype isn't what makes them great at the NFL level. I think Lawson will turn out pretty good wherever they put him, but there's no guarantees or your money back..
Something that always seemed odd to me is how kickers are usually little guys. Seems to me if a guy is 6' 6" 275 lbs and can run 4.5 40s he ought to be able to kick the damned ball the length of 4 football fields.. Instead it's the 5' 6" 175 guys who end up kicking well.. I've never been able to get my mind around that..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 03:41 PM)J24 Wrote: In dennards defense he had 4 good veteran players in front of him. 

And he has had terrible luck with injuries

And he has been played in the slot where his apparent abilities are more suited to the edge.  The few times he's been on the outside he has done much better than the slot.  He's a press corner.

The Bengals exercised their option for a reason.   Now hopefully they'll play him where he plays the best.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 10:43 AM)Crowe Wrote: And that would be a mistake on our part. There is no reason barring injury that Lawson and Willis shouldn't be in the primary rotation. MJ isn't very good, Clarke has done nothing, Sims sucks, Thompson is always hurt, Gilberry is trash. These guys need to be released. That would leave us with Dunlap, Atkins, Billings, Glasgow, Hardison, and DeShawn Williams so I think Willis and Lawson would not only have a good shot of playing but they might make it hard for guys like Hardison and Williams to see snaps.

It's a numbers game...but I think they should both see some snaps.

Clark had 4 sacks last year.

I was happy with Lawson playing OLB as I think it's a quicker path to him playing.

We traded for that Chris Smith from Jacksonville too who is a DE.

MJ and Dunlap will start. Then behind them it's a competition with Clark, Gilberry, Smith, and Willis. 2 of those guys can play in a rotation.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 11:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: Nope, still on rookie contract. He will be a rotational guy along with the Rookies. We aren't only keeping 3 ends as Lawson looks like they will count him in the LB count.

Clark had 4 sacks last year and has flashed some decent potential when he plays.

I totally agree. If Lawson were used at DE...he'd be lost in the shuffle.

Willis is going to have to prove that he can hold up against the run before the Bengals play him. For a 255 lb DE...that might be hard initially.
Reply/Quote