Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawson' Interview
(10-01-2018, 07:46 PM)Brimey Wrote: Yep. The NFL is so oblivious to what the fans want and they cater to the fantasy crowd so much, they've taken one of the most exciting plays in football away. I'm not sure how much I will remain invested in the NFL if the games are all 35-31 with 900 yards passing and multiple subjective calls that chmge the game and decide the winner .

The only way a flag should be thrown for 15 yards is if the play was deemed unnecessarily violent. Did the player attempt to injure the other opposing player ot hit him after the play. The Dunlap sack, the Lawson sack and the WJIII call on the TD have been 3 awful flags

That's not why the rule was implemented. The point of the rule wasn't to increase offensive production. The point of the rule was to protect quarterbacks and make sure the NFL's star players (the guys that everyone tunes into see) are kept healthy throughout the year. 

The increased offense is a byproduct of the real reason why the NFL implemented the rule and im not even sure the NFL realized or expected such an uptick in offensive production this year because of it.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 12:11 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It's horrible, it lets the small weak quarterbacks (sized like steph curry, patrick mahomes) get advantageous over fatter QBs like fat ben. It's like NBA where you can't hack players going down the lane anymore, qB will sit there with no fear. We need 1990s Defense to come back, but it's long gone.

I saw the suggestion to make it 2 hand tag for the QB, sounds fair to me. If the QB escapes the pocket, then no sliding allowed and he is treated like a RB. The rules protecting the QB are over the top, can't hit them in neck area, can't hit them at knees or below. The target area becomes so small it is impossible for a defender. Then the QB ducks and puts his head close to his knees and there is no target area.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 09:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I saw the suggestion to make it 2 hand tag for the QB, sounds fair to me. If the QB escapes the pocket, then no sliding allowed and he is treated like a RB. The rules protecting the QB are over the top, can't hit them in neck area, can't hit them at knees or below. The target area becomes so small it is impossible for a defender. Then the QB ducks and puts his head close to his knees and there is no target area.

I'm pretty sure anyone is allowed to slide and be protected.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lawson had the QB head in a bear hug that will get flagged every time. Hit him between the knees and the head aim for the stomach or lower back its not rocket science.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 10:03 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Lawson had the QB head in a bear hug that will get flagged every time. Hit him between the knees and the head aim for the stomach or lower back its not rocket science.

People who say this I can't help but think they never actually played football.

Like...in the moment. In the speed of the game. You are close the QB. You are being shoved by the offensive lineman, there are guys falling all over themselves. 

There are times when you just don't have control of where you are in relation to the QB. You're running at top speed and you just collide with the QB in any way that you can.

Now, there are things that you should not do when trying to reach the QB. Don't lead with your helmet, don't grab at the facemask. Don't bury them into the ground. and Don't try to rip their legs off.

But just hitting 5 inches higher than the NFL feels like you should have...Like, come on. That's an extremely hard standard to hit. You could tell there was nothing malicious about how Lawson tackled the QB. It was literally just "this is the contortion my body was in in order to get around this 320 lb man. And Now I just need to get that guy to not throw the ball."

Maybe I'm not articulating this as well as I could, but the idea that these guys can hit a 2 ft section of a moving person (from shoulders to waist) no matter what is just an absurd proposition to me. And then they do it, and you call a penalty because of the way they landed.

It's okay to disagree with refs every once in a while. And they're definitely being way too protective of QBs. It's cheapening the game when drives are sustained for no reason other than a referee's whim.
Reply/Quote
The bodyweight rule should apply to quarterbacks out of the pocket and landing on their side.
Reply/Quote
Some people just have Bengals goggles on and will never admit to the facts.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:46 PM)Brimey Wrote: Yep. The NFL is so oblivious to what the fans want and they cater to the fantasy crowd so much, they've taken one of the most exciting plays in football away. I'm not sure how much I will remain invested in the NFL if the games are all 35-31 with 900 yards passing and multiple subjective calls that chmge the game and decide the winner .

The only way a flag should be thrown for 15 yards is if the play was deemed unnecessarily violent. Did the player attempt to injure the other opposing player ot hit him after the play. The Dunlap sack, the Lawson sack and the WJIII call on the TD have been 3 awful flags

I agree Brimey! It's all about the money.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 10:10 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: People who say this I can't help but think they never actually played football.

Like...in the moment. In the speed of the game. You are close the QB. You are being shoved by the offensive lineman, there are guys falling all over themselves. 

There are times when you just don't have control of where you are in relation to the QB. You're running at top speed and you just collide with the QB in any way that you can.

Now, there are things that you should not do when trying to reach the QB. Don't lead with your helmet, don't grab at the facemask. Don't bury them into the ground. and Don't try to rip their legs off.

But just hitting 5 inches higher than the NFL feels like you should have...Like, come on. That's an extremely hard standard to hit. You could tell there was nothing malicious about how Lawson tackled the QB. It was literally just "this is the contortion my body was in in order to get around this 320 lb man. And Now I just need to get that guy to not throw the ball."

Having played the game or not makes no difference. There are those who see the referees call the rules as written, and those who make excuses. If a pitcher is trying to brush back a batter who is crowding the plate, and the batter steps into the pitch and gets hit, the batter takes a base, whether the pitcher actually meant to hit him or not. Contact with the head/neck area of a Quarterback is getting called, regardless of intent. It's just the way it is....
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 12:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Having played the game or not makes no difference. There are those who see the referees call the rules as written, and those who make excuses. If a pitcher is trying to brush back a batter who is crowding the plate, and the batter steps into the pitch and gets hit, the batter takes a base, whether the pitcher actually meant to hit him or not. Contact with the head/neck area of a Quarterback is getting called, regardless of intent. It's just the way it is....

Similarly, there are those who will blindly defend bad rules and those who recognize what rules are ruining the modern NFL...
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 01:44 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Similarly, there are those who will blindly defend bad rules and those who recognize what rules are ruining the modern NFL...

No one is defending the rule, but the rule is the rule until it is changed..... no matter how much people stomp their feet and cry it's a bad rule. It's the rule, until it is not.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 03:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No one is defending the rule, but the rule is the rule until it is changed..... no matter how much people stomp their feet and cry it's a bad rule. It's the rule, until it is not.
This ^^^^^^^ We have to play within the rules of the game if we go offsides its a flag if we tackle the QB and his head is struck in anyway its a flag. If we don't correct our players when they go outside of the rules we will keep getting flagged.
Reply/Quote