Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawson a steal? Willis may be bigger steal?
The more I watch and learn about our new DE Jordan Willis, the more I like. I know lots of fans were excited we got Lawson (count me in as well), but Willis may turn out to be the 2nd best DE in this draft class. The guy from Tennessee and Charlton were two guys we could have considered, but none were available by round 2. So in my humble opinion, if this young man stays healthy, he will become a very good DE. We can't forget, he was the fastest DE in this draft and speed kills.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
If you look back at the mock drafts, etc, from earlier in the year, I was pimping Willis like nobody's business. I didn't want the RB IN PLACE OF him. The fact that they got both is astounding.

Some so-called experts claimed his speed didn't translate to his get-off in games. As I previously had pointed out, they didn't acknowledge his ROLE in those games as a LDE was to stay home, as he faced a ton of read-option, and then close in on the QB. When it was a sure passing down, like 3rd and 10, Willis would rocket off the line and get after the QB. His coach referred to him as "the epitome of our program", and how he could probably get more stats from the right side, but his coach needed him on the left.

Now we have a guy that can get pressure from either end. I keep watching the Tampa game (Nerd Alert!) and he is chasing the QB on almost every play. If Smith was on the other side of him, it would have been sandwich city. With Geno and Billings pushing guys in to the QB's lap, it will create a lot of problems for opposing QBs.

I am absolutely giddy about Willis, Smith, and Lawson.

I would buy a Willis Jersey if a small part of me wasn't still afraid of "the curse"
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 09:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: . We can't forget, he was the fastest DE in this draft and speed kills.

Thoughts?

People don't realize that he is almost one of the strongest folks to come out of the draft....his bench, dead lift, and squat triple were ridiculous.  Between him, Billings, and Atkins, those are three of the strongest linemen to EVER play in the NFL.

Freaks, and I love them.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 09:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you look back at the mock drafts, etc, from earlier in the year, I was pimping Willis like nobody's business.  I didn't want the RB IN PLACE OF him.  The fact that they got both is astounding.

Some so-called experts claimed his speed didn't translate to his get-off in games.  As I previously had pointed out, they didn't acknowledge his ROLE in those games as a LDE was to stay home, as he faced a ton of read-option, and then close in on the QB.  When it was a sure passing down, like 3rd and 10, Willis would rocket off the line and get after the QB.  His coach referred to him as "the epitome of our program", and how he could probably get more stats from the right side, but his coach needed him on the left.  

Now we have a guy that can get pressure from either end.  I keep watching the Tampa game (Nerd Alert!) and he is chasing the QB on almost every play.  If Smith was on the other side of him, it would have been sandwich city.  With Geno and Billings pushing guys in to the QB's lap, it will create a lot of problems for opposing QBs.  

I am absolutely giddy about Willis, Smith, and Lawson.  

I would buy a Willis Jersey if a small part of me wasn't still afraid of "the curse"

Great catch on Willis early on. I admit, I did not know anything about him until the combine. It sounds like he is high work ethic and high character as well. I think we may have got a hidden gem.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 09:43 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Great catch on Willis early on. I admit, I did not know anything about him until the combine. It sounds like he is high work ethic and high character as well. I think we may have got a hidden gem.

The third round jinx may finally be over!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 09:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The third round jinx may finally be over!

Let's hope. I think anytime you get a potential starter as a rookie in round 3 it is a draft steal.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 09:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Let's hope. I think anytime you get a potential starter as a rookie in round 3 it is a draft steal.

And to get Lawson and Malone in Rd 4? 

Honestly, one guy that I figured would show poor instincts that was all over the field in game 1 (six tackles?) was 6th round selection Jordan Evans.  How the hell did a guy with his athleticism slip to the 6th round?  Fastest LB at the combine and he was a thumper in game 1.  
Reply/Quote
one preseason game can not based yet on performance in terms of draft pick round.. evaluate after 1 to 3 years on their performance.. early signs are positive though
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And to get Lawson and Malone in Rd 4? 

Honestly, one guy that I figured would show poor instincts that was all over the field in game 1 (six tackles?) was 6th round selection Jordan Evans.  How the hell did a guy with his athleticism slip to the 6th round?  Fastest LB at the combine and he was a thumper in game 1.  

I know it is preseason, but if this draft class stays healthy, we may look back in 5 years and say best draft class ever.

The speed we drafted was amazing. They obviously decided to get much younger and much faster. You can only do this through the draft because you can't just grab 7 or 8 FA's due to the salary cap.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 10:07 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: one preseason game can not based yet on performance in terms of draft pick round.. evaluate after 1 to 3 years on their performance.. early signs are positive though

We were doing cartwheels when Ivan Drago got sacks against a guy from Indy that had no chance of making their team.  Willis has already shown incredible jump, pursuit, and strength in his drive.  Ditto Lawson and Smith.  I am just loving the competition and what I am seeing out of these incredibly young players. 

I get what you are saying, but I have not seen that kind of speed rush here in ages.  I am incredibly excited.  
Reply/Quote
Lawson has been getting love in the media because he was drafted so low after having such potential in college but being derailed by injuries. So he is a good feel good story. But Willis has always been a top prospect and a beast. He just takes care of business without the fanfare. Kinda like the difference between Chad Johnson and AJ Green....AJ just takes care of business, but is way more humble. That's how Willis is.
Reply/Quote
Long-time Kansas State head coach Bill Snyder called Willis "the epitome" of Kansas State football. That's high praise from a Hall of Fame coach.........Willis is a winner
Reply/Quote
He looks bigger in pads to me than his listed 6'4 255.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 09:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The more I watch and learn about our new DE Jordan Willis, the more I like. I know lots of fans were excited we got Lawson (count me in as well), but Willis may turn out to be the 2nd best DE in this draft class. The guy from Tennessee and Charlton were two guys we could have considered, but none were available by round 2. So in my humble opinion, if this young man stays healthy, he will become a very good DE. We can't forget, he was the fastest DE in this draft and speed kills.

Thoughts?

Great thread man, was thinking about doing one very similar. Rock On

SHRacer was the first dude who really brought Willis to my attention before the draft and i wanted him with our 2nd.

He was the most complete DE in the draft besides Garrett from everything i learned cause he is a good run stopper.

Barnett was not a run stopper and only a pass rusher, Willis can do it all in the pass rush, he can rush from the inside,
outside, has swim moves, spin moves, strength and powerful hands. He only fell cause he was from Kansas State.

He is an extremely hard worker, smart and humble to boot but plays with a nasty streak on the field.

Willis is Die Hard. Mellow
Reply/Quote
They certainly look promising at this point. From here it's up to the coaches to develop them and play them.

We sorely need a draft that produces 3-4 quality starters to replace some of the guys we've lost over the past 2 free agencies.
Reply/Quote
I really like this kids potential. He definitely played well in week one of the preseason.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 09:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The more I watch and learn about our new DE Jordan Willis, the more I like. I know lots of fans were excited we got Lawson (count me in as well), but Willis may turn out to be the 2nd best DE in this draft class. The guy from Tennessee and Charlton were two guys we could have considered, but none were available by round 2. So in my humble opinion, if this young man stays healthy, he will become a very good DE. We can't forget, he was the fastest DE in this draft and speed kills.

Thoughts?

I think you're on the money 

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote