Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawson out for year
ESPN reporting Carl Lawson has torn his Achilles and is out for the year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I feel bad for Lawson and hope he recovers fully. But really he is not a Bengal any longer - this doesn't belong in Jungle Noise per se.
Reply/Quote
I believe that most injuries are just bad luck. BUt clearly there are some guys like Eifert and Lawson whose bodies just can't take football. This current injury means Lawson will have only had 3 healthy seasons ('16, '17, '20) in 8 years ('14-'21), and two of those years he missed an entire season ('14, '21)
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 07:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I believe that most injuries are just bad luck.  BUt clearly there are some guys like Eifert and Lawson whose bodies just can't take football.  This current injury means Lawson will have only had 3 healthy seasons ('16, '17, '20) in 8 years ('14-'21), and two of those years he missed an entire season ('14, '21)

I have to agree with this. You can call it back luck or whatever, but the fact is there are some folks who are just really injury prone and dont seem to be able to hold up well playing football. IMO, and I'm probably way off, but Lawson almost seems to play too hard and too fast sometimes for his own good. At least thats the way I viewed him when he got hurt playing for the Bengals often. I'm happy we let him go and got some other guys. Hated the idea of paying a high tag for an injury prone QB pressure artist.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 07:23 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Hated the idea of paying a high tag for an injury prone QB pressure artist.

Yup, that All Pro DE we signed is looking better and better (cue the "but it isn't AP whines) Who Dey
Reply/Quote
Eifert definitely had some bad luck with his injuries. I'm sure Lawson has as well but he's a go 100 percent all the time guy and I think guys can get themselves hurt by doing that sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 07:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I believe that most injuries are just bad luck.  BUt clearly there are some guys like Eifert and Lawson whose bodies just can't take football.  This current injury means Lawson will have only had 3 healthy seasons ('16, '17, '20) in 8 years ('14-'21), and two of those years he missed an entire season ('14, '21)

Just want to make it clear that I was one of the guys who appreciated Lawsons skills.  I was often defending him against the people who did not understand the value of putting pressure on a QB.  When we signed Hendrickson I said that I did nto know if Hendrickson was any better than Lawson but I preferred Trey because of Lawson's history of injury. 
Reply/Quote

Fred's had this reply ready, with his only real concern with extending Lawson being his injury history. But I agree. We'll neve know if it would have happened here this year. It's looking like a good decision to let him walk. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I feel bad for him. Reports I had seen said he was having one hell of a camp...
Reply/Quote
Oh no.

Anyways.
Reply/Quote
Yeah that's too bad. I like Lawson. I viewed him as a little better then Hendrickson, but the injury history made me glad we went with Hendrickson. That said, I was hoping to see Lawson have a good year and stay healthy. Didn't see the achilles injury coming. That sucks! Leon Hall wasn't the same after his. Well, he had more injuries than that.. But yeah. That's tough. Atleast he's making good money and is set for life.
Reply/Quote
Bengals were definitely smart to dodge the bullet on not signing him to the big contract.

To all of those that whined about the Bengals "losing" him? The windshield is way bigger than the rear view mirror for a reason..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hate that for him. Seems like he should just move on to whatever's next.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 09:05 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yeah that's too bad. I like Lawson. I viewed him as a little better then Hendrickson, but the injury history made me glad we went with Hendrickson. That said, I was hoping to see Lawson have a good year and stay healthy. Didn't see the achilles injury coming. That sucks! Leon Hall wasn't the same after his. Well, he had more injuries than that.. But yeah. That's tough. Atleast he's making good money and is set for life.

I think that's one of those injuries where nobody is quite the same after it. Didn't Leon tear both of his on separate occasions?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Bengals dodging that bullet like [Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bummer for him, and never love to see that happen, but the dude was another injury waiting to happen sadly.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 09:29 PM)jason Wrote: I think that's one of those injuries where nobody is quite the same after it. Didn't Leon tear both of his on separate occasions?

I forget. I was thinking he had an acl on each knee. But I may be remembering wrong. It could have been both achilles. I know one achilles was from Cavin Johnson trampling over him.
Reply/Quote
I'm not really sad for anyone in this situation. Carl got his money and doesn't really have to play for it. I can't feel sorry for the Jets, because Jets. Carl my be done, but he's still rich.

I also want to say that I am glad we aren't seeing any sour grapes on either side of the Carl signing argument. The way i saw it, those of us who didn't want to sign him were universally worried about his injury prone history, whereas, those who were upset we didn't sign him basically dismissed it or ignored it (looking back at the threads on the subject).

So good to see everyone's keeping it classy (seriously) and not throwing food at each other in the cafeteria in regard to I told you so's or whatever, unlike the Chase/Sewell debates that simmers in the background like Limburger being heated for fondue and forgotten overnight on the stove.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 06:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: I feel bad for Lawson and hope he recovers fully. But really he is not a Bengal any longer - this doesn't belong in Jungle Noise per se.

They must have thought he was Whitworth, so many threads on him misplaced 
Reply/Quote
I hate to hear that...I always liked his hustle here, and was for re-signing him if the price was right. It wasn't, and the Bengals dodged a bullet there. Maybe it's finally our time....as for NYJ, misery loves company, I was kinda hoping he'd help them out some.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote