Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lawson will have a "hybrid" role according to Guenther
“We’re going to use him in both areas,” Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said. “Right now he’s working half as a linebacker and half as an end in nickel situations. I’ve always said the more you can do the better.

“(His intelligence) is very key. It’s one of the factors why we took him. A guy who can’t understand football concepts can’t do the things we’re going to ask him to do.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/cincinnati-bengals-explain-theyll-use-former-auburn-de-carl-lawson/
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Makes a lot of sense....the Patriots, who we won't see until January, like to force you in to certain personnel and go no-huddle. (Not trying to steal this thread to another Wyche conversation, but tell me again why the hell the Bengals don't do this?) If Lawson is on the field at SAM and the Bengals have a good run stuff on first down, or an incomplete, Lawson could move up to the LOS and be a rush end without changing personnel.

I realize you would still have three LBs on the field, but it could work for certain blitz packages because I believe in Burfict and Minter as LBs that can cover as they would in nickel.

I think this is what they had intended for Moch, but he simply couldn't grasp the playbook...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 06:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think this is what they had intended for Moch, but he simply couldn't grasp the playbook...

Or stay on the field...
Reply/Quote
I will ask for forgiveness before posting this, but there a little part of me who is afraid he is not going to live up to the hype. One positive thing he has is a don't quit attitude on his pursuit. In his highlights, he plays until the whistle. Very encouraging.

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 09:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I will ask for forgiveness before posting this, but there a little part of me who is afraid he is not going to live up to the hype. One positive thing he has is a don't quit attitude on his pursuit. In his highlights, he plays until the whistle. Very encouraging.

I'm Always nervous when I hear hybrid... And bengals.  Seems like the player never really learns one position to excel at.  Hope this is differenct
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 09:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I will ask for forgiveness before posting this, but there a little part of me who is afraid he is not going to live up to the hype. One positive thing he has is a don't quit attitude on his pursuit. In his highlights, he plays until the whistle. Very encouraging.

Hes a Project imo. But only bc of his lack of experience. Basically he had 1 full year in college. I think hes elite by year 3. But he has to stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 09:40 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I'm Always nervous when I hear hybrid... And bengals.  Seems like the player never really learns one position to excel at.  Hope this is differenct

Law of averages. One of them has to work sooner or later right?
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 12:49 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Law of averages. One of them has to work sooner or later right?
Lol...: 
Reply/Quote
I'm in favor of whatever it takes to have MJ playing less snaps as a DE in nickel.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 01:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm in favor of whatever it takes to have MJ playing less snaps as a DE in nickel.

I agree!

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 12:49 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Law of averages. One of them has to work sooner or later right?

Marvin has been our coach for 14 years and I can only think of 3 "hybrid projects" he has taken in the first half of the draft.

Pollack looked okay.  Can't call that a failure.

Moch was a flop, but 3 different NFL teams gave him a try and he flopped for all of them.  So it looks like Moch was the problem, not the coaching.

MJ was used as a LB his first two years.  I disagreed with that at the time.  It didn't really work out.

So i don't see how 2 failures in 14 years is a really bad track record.  Especially when one of those failure turned out to be a double digit sack DE.
Reply/Quote
Lawson is going to be a great addition.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 06:02 AM)Trademark Wrote: “We’re going to use him in both areas,” Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said. “Right now he’s working half as a linebacker and half as an end in nickel situations. I’ve always said the more you can do the better.

“(His intelligence) is very key. It’s one of the factors why we took him. A guy who can’t understand football concepts can’t do the things we’re going to ask him to do.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/cincinnati-bengals-explain-theyll-use-former-auburn-de-carl-lawson/

It is the way we should use him. He is smart too listening to his interview on bengals.com.

Lawson is a football player, very physical pass rusher. He needs to work on his coverage primarily from what i have seen.

But he should make a few splash plays as a rookie as a SAM backer and an End to spell guys.
Reply/Quote
It's not that big of a deal considering teams play only 25 to 30% of the time in the base formation. Plus we have had multiple guys in the past play that hybrid Sam/End position.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin has been our coach for 14 years and I can only think of 3 "hybrid projects" he has taken in the first half of the draft.

Moch was a flop, but 3 different NFL teams gave him a try and he flopped for all of them.  So it looks like Moch was the problem, not the coaching.

MJ was used as a LB his first two years.  I disagreed with that at the time.  It didn't really work out.

So i don't see how 2 failures in 14 years is a really bad track record.  Especially when one of those failure turned out to be a double digit sack DE.

Pretty sure we did it with Robert Geathers in '07. I remember being unhappy about it as was he. Especially coming off a 10.5 sack season.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin has been our coach for 14 years and I can only think of 3 "hybrid projects" he has taken in the first half of the draft.
When was Reinard (sp) Wilson drafted? When ever I hear hybrid, he's my first thought. That didn't work out well at all.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:54 PM)Mer Wrote: When was Reinard (sp) Wilson drafted? When ever I hear hybrid, he's my first thought. That didn't work out well at all.

Reinard was drafted before Marvin, and Marvin tried his best to get something out of him, but no one could.

I believe Lawson has the potential to be a true hybrid.  He just seems both physically gifted, very football   smart and totally intense.  I think he'll be the defensive playmaker we were looking for in this draft.   I think he's going to be a stud.  I think he'll start out on 3rd down opposite Dunlap and wreak havoc.   And I think his role will gradually increase until we have a 3 down difference maker.     :andy:
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty sure we did it with Robert Geathers in '07. I remember being unhappy about it as was he. Especially coming off a 10.5 sack season.

If I remember correctly he declined when they had him put on weight.  He was really good against the run, but he lost the suddenness to his pass rush.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 05:16 PM)3wt Wrote: If I remember correctly he declined when they had him put on weight.  He was really good against the run, but he lost the suddenness to his pass rush.

Didn't they have him playing LBer in the Chief's game where Trent Edwards career was pretty much ended by Geathers clobbering him on a scramble?
Reply/Quote

Cant remember which, but either MJ and or Geathers were put @ LB because we had like 1 healthy LB that year.
Reply/Quote