Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lawson will have a "hybrid" role according to Guenther
(05-11-2017, 05:55 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Didn't they have him playing LBer in the Chief's game where Trent Edwards career was pretty much ended by Geathers clobbering him on a scramble?

Geathers only played LB for 4 or 5 games in the middle of the '07 season when we had 4 or 5 LBs get injured.  One game we had Geathers and a safety splitting snaps at the LB position.  We had guys like Lemar Marshall and Anthoney Schlagel starting at LB for us that year.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 09:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I will ask for forgiveness before posting this, but there a little part of me who is afraid he is not going to live up to the hype. One positive thing he has is a don't quit attitude on his pursuit. In his highlights, he plays until the whistle. Very encouraging.

The part of me that's afraid that he won't live up to the hype is just because I don't like that we're having him play backer.  

Moving players from their strengths never seems to work out too well for us.

The fact that we're only in a 4-3 about 25 or 30% of the time does make me feel better, and I do think he's stout enough and aggressive enough to be a solid backer, but I just think that we'd be misusing him if we play him at backer because he was a top pass rusher in this draft and only fell to the fourth because of the injuries.

Who knows, though, because maybe we'll just have him be aggressive at backer, always filling holes and blitzing the quarterback.

My main concern, though, is that he's only 16-years-old!

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 06:16 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: Cant remember which, but either MJ and or Geathers were put @ LB because we had like 1 healthy LB that year.

I think we all took a turn that year.  Hilarious
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Geathers only played LB for 4 or 5 games in the middle of the '07 season when we had 4 or 5 LBs get injured.  One game we had Geathers and a safety splitting snaps at the LB position.  We had guys like Lemar Marshall and Anthoney Schlagel starting at LB for us that year.

He started the year at sam, brooks was middle lb, and Johnson was OLB. I remember that because he had  sack, ff, pd, tackle, and INT in the opening game against baltimore.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Man Marv has been searching for that hybrid here for 15 years. Hope he's finally got him now. I think Lawson will be the guy to get it done. That's an intense mofo.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 07:48 PM)J24 Wrote:  He started the year at sam, brooks was middle lb, and Johnson was OLB. I remember that because he had  sack, ff, pd, tackle, and INT in the opening game against baltimore.

No he didn't. Lemar Marshall was our starting SOLB.  And he was only starting because Rashad Jeanty was injured before the season started.

Geathers did not play LB until a few guys got hurt.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't Hunt supposed to be a hybrid...?

James Harrison when he was here was thrown into hybrid situations...didn't work out well either.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 10:05 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: Wasn't Hunt supposed to be a hybrid...?

James Harrison when he was here was thrown into hybrid situations...didn't work out well either.

Hunt isn't a football player and Harrison was used incorrectly.

I think Guenther knows more now IMHO.
Reply/Quote
Eh, I wouldn't get too caught up in the hybrid title. I'm thinking that he is trained as a SAM - which we rarely use and will be used as a pass rusher on passing downs.

To me, he's going to be a force on passing downs coming of the edge. Dunlap, Geno and Lawson will give guys a ton of trouble.
Reply/Quote
This hybrid nonsense is just that. Having Johnson play both linebacker and DE hurt his development. It hasn't ever worked here never. So let's do it again!
Reply/Quote
Sheez.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 10:25 AM)bengalbiff Wrote: This hybrid nonsense is just that.  Having Johnson play both linebacker and DE hurt his development.  It hasn't ever worked here never.  So let's do it again!

No it didn't.  That's just really, really wrong.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 10:05 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: Wasn't Hunt supposed to be a hybrid...?

(05-12-2017, 10:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hunt isn't a football player and Harrison was used incorrectly.

I think Guenther knows more now IMHO.

I really don't understand people; Harrison was AWESOME for us and wherever he lined up, he was productive.

The problem was never because we misused him or didn't know how to use him, we didn't use him ENOUGH; I believe it was something like 340ish snaps, which is ridiculously low. But that's because of how we use SAMs.

I still don't get why everyone isn't remembering; he did a superb job for us all year, we just used him sparsely.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 07:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I really don't understand people; Harrison was AWESOME for us and wherever he lined up, he was productive.

The problem was never because we misused him or didn't know how to use him, we didn't use him ENOUGH; I believe it was something like 340ish snaps, which is ridiculously low. But that's because of how we use SAMs.

I still don't get why everyone isn't remembering; he did a superb job for us all year, we just used him sparsely.

Rep.

Here is what I said in another thread when someone started whining about Marvin's "total failure" with James Harrison.

"If a defense that finished #3 in yards allowed and #5 in points is a "total failure" then bring on some more."
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:54 PM)Mer Wrote: When was Reinard (sp) Wilson drafted? When ever I hear hybrid, he's my first thought. That didn't work out well at all.

I guess you could say he was a mild disappointment given the expectations, but he wasn't bad for us.

24 sacks in 5 years, including 9 in 2001 and 6 in 1998. He just had the misfortune of being drafted when we were transitioning to a 3-4. Then we went back to a 4-3 in 2000. So that had more to do with him bouncing around from LB to DE than his "tweener" status.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully it will work out better than Moch.

I have a feeling it will.
Reply/Quote