Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laying rock
Due to a slope in my backyard one end of my deck is a few feet higher than the other. I had to re-do and old flowewr bed that ran along the edge of my deck and I thought it would look better to build up a small rock wall on the low end so the flower beds would be more parallel with the bottom of the deck. It would only be about 2 feet high and the slope of the yard would run it down to zero in about 5 feet. So I looked at it as a pretty small job.

My first mistake was the idea to use large flat rocks that weighed approximately 15 to 40 lbs. I used them because i had access to a pile of them nearby. I figured it would not take many and fewer joints would make the wall more stable. But I did all of this work either sitting on the ground or squatting. It is amazing how hard it is to reach over and pick up even a 15 lb rock if you can't use your back/legs and have to fully extend your arms. If you use little stones it is no big deal to move them around several times to get them to fit together. But trying to get these big rocks to stack neatly turned into a major workout. If I had just used a little common sense I would have realized that big rocks are going to have bigger gaps between them than smaller rocks. So not only were the much heavier to handle they also needed to be moved around many more times to get them to fit as closely as possible.

I also learned how hard it is to simply mix concrete. When I was younger I worked some construction jobs and at one point I even carried mud for block layers. But they had a mixer. I probably could have mixed a larger batch in a wheelbarrow easier because i could have used a shovel to mix it. But I was just making a small batch in a metal tub and mixing it with a hand spade.

So what I planned to do in one afternoon has now taken part of 3 weekends. But that is not unusual with me when I try something for the first time. It is always more complicated and time consuming than i thought.
Reply/Quote
I hear ya man. I was thinking one day project, when I decided to dig these steps by hand..

Eventually, over the course of a couple weekends, they were completed. I used large flagstones for the treads, and cut 2x8 to fit for the risers.

[Image: 20729_10205346439173628_1596281307421460...e=59A54D09]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Can't help you much with laying rock. I more of an expert at laying pipe.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 07:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hear ya man.  I was thinking one day project, when I decided to dig these steps by hand..

Eventually, over the course of a couple weekends, they were completed.  I used large flagstones for the treads, and cut 2x8 to fit for the risers.

[Image: 20729_10205346439173628_1596281307421460...e=59A54D09]

I wouldn't even know how to begin to dig out steps.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 10:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I wouldn't even know how to begin to dig out steps.

Not really complicated.  Just stake two parallel lines up the hill.  Start digging in, perfectly level, until you get 7"-8" of vertical rise, repeat until you reach top of hill.  Mine was just extra labor intensive, as our ground is hard, rocky clay.  Finished product looked nice.  I'll see if I can't pull the picture from my old, broken phone.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not really complicated.  Just stake two parallel lines up the hill.  Start digging in, perfectly level, until you get 7"-8" of vertical rise, repeat until you reach top of hill.  Mine was just extra labor intensive, as our ground is hard, rocky clay.  Finished product looked nice.  I'll see if I can't pull the picture from my old, broken phone.

Good job on those steps.

However when cutting regular set of steps it is important to make sure each one has the exact  same rise and tread or else they will cause people to trip.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Good job on those steps.

However when cutting regular set of steps it is important to make sure each one has the exact  same rise and tread or else they will cause people to trip.

True on a standard stair case. (7"-11" rule)  However landscape steps have a slightly different rule of thumb.  If the "run" of the tread is 15" or greater, typically a shorter rise (4" to 6") is recommended.  Now I did make them more like standard steps with a 7"-8" rise, but I mitigated the potential hazard in the final product, by installing a handrail on each side.

In reality, the rise wasn't a full 7" throughout the staircase, as most of the 2' x 8" that I used to face the risers had to be ripped to about 6"-6 1/2", as I underestimated the thickness of the flagstone used for the treads.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Good job on those steps.

Yeah I once heard if you change one by a few millimeters people will trip.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 01:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I once heard if you change one by a few millimeters people will trip.
Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 01:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I once heard if you change one by a few millimeters people will trip.

Bazinga!
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote